Rishabh Pant performance watch thread

tweaker

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

A very dogged old fashioned test batsman ... focuses on test cricket ...  has incorporated the technical aspects needed for test match survival by practicing for multiple years.

Wasn't this good in his early years.

Last game of cricket I ever played was against him , he was about 21, I would have bet my house on him not playing Test cricket never mind, 5000 runs with av of 44.84 and top score 302* 

I played many seasons  with an Indian test player, he was ten times the bat that Ali was , scored thousands of Ranji Trophy runs career av of 49  and played only two tests for India because he couldn't handle the pressure of test cricket but Azhar Ali can .

When you get to that level they all have the ability most of the time, little tweaks here and there but it's all about confidence and mental strength 

7 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

he has failed a lot in eng ,mostly scores runs in asia

He was second top test run scorer in 2016 tour of England which included a ton. My point is not individual tours or innings but  certain players have it to play at test match level mentally and others with more talent don't .

42 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Last game of cricket I ever played was against him , he was about 21, I would have bet my house on him not playing Test cricket never mind, 5000 runs with av of 44.84 and top score 302* 

That is what I said.  He was not this good in his early years ... but has built his game for test matches over the years.

I played many seasons  with an Indian test player, he was ten times the bat that Ali was , scored thousands of Ranji Trophy runs career av of 49  and played only two tests for India because he couldn't handle the pressure of test cricket but Azhar Ali can .

What you are talking about is some very talented players not having the temperament needed for success in international cricket. And some other players with lesser talent making it bigger due to determination.

That is a known fact.  No one dusputes it.

While discussing rookies like Pant, Vihari etc.  we don't really know what their temperament is like for the biggest stage. Only time will tell.

But even players with good temperaments have struggled on their first legs of overseas test tours.

When you get to that level they all have the ability most of the time, little tweaks here and there but it's all about confidence and mental strength 

But, with packed international calendars, 4 or 5 days of practice with the red ball before a series and solitary practice matches on foreign tours ... do the batsmen have the time to incorporate those minor tweaks in their games and make it their 2nd nature while batting overseas   ?

Why is every touring team struggling on foreign tours there days  ?  (  after multiple T20 leagues have started, players have less time to adapt from one format to another and calenders sre packed  )   Why is Australia getting whitewashed away from home against a weak Sri Lanka  ?   

Look at Shikhar Dhawan ... a big match players who performs in ICC tournaments and big matches in ODIs.  Has a good temperament.  But is let down by his poor technique when the ball is moving.

@Tattieboy

I was listening to an interview of Virat Kohli.   He was asked how he was so successful in all 3 formats.

He replied  ( and we know it too )  that his basic game does not change irrespective of the format he is playing.   He plays cricketing shots only, rarely slogs and plays very few lofted shots.  This helps him get back to test cricket more smoothly then others, despite playing a T20 or ODI series a few days ago.

Obviously, every batsman does not have the talent to play so classically in LOIs ... but this planning from before hand helps too.

Try to stop bad habits from creeping in even while playing LOIs if possible.  Then the adapting back to red ball cricket is easier.

8 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

I hope pant does justice to his talent and expectations. Need to give him the wi series and Australia series before judging him.

Have been a DK supporter but feel he should have grabbed this opportunity. 

He let it go for perpetuity.

Do you really think DK would have not performed this time. I feel bad for DK because he cannot fight the poor image he has. I feel he is good enough to play for India.

9 minutes ago, Khota said:

Do you really think DK would have not performed this time. I feel bad for DK because he cannot fight the poor image he has. I feel he is good enough to play for India.

he didnt this time, his feet were not even moving........he looked awfull with the bat

and ganguly told in one of the pre matches that he saw karthik in nets and he looked woefully out of form

Unfortunately, Rahane's inconsistency in SENA where he is supposed to be our 2nd (if not first as Kohli had a bad record in Eng before this series), put a lot of pressure on youngsters such as Pant and Pandya. Pant kept better than Karthik, while Pandya won as a match with the ball and scored a good 50. Instead of appreciating their good work in their first overseas season, we have to had to unrealistically bank of them to perform like experienced veterans and win games for India .... They could still do that in home conditions but to expect them to do that on consistent basis in SENA in their first season was always going to be difficult .... we should have realistic expectations from our youngsters. Even Tendulkar did not shoulder such burden in his first few series. The seniors and fans at time handled him relatively better  

Edited by zen
5 minutes ago, zen said:

Unfortunately, Rahane's inconsistency in SENA where he is supposed to be our 2nd (if not first as Kohli had a bad record in Eng before this series), put a lot of pressure on youngsters such as Pant and Pandya. Pant kept better than Karthik, while Pandya won as a match with the ball and scored a good 50. Instead of appreciating their good work in their first overseas season, we have to had to unrealistically bank of them to perform like experienced veterans and win games for India .... They could still do that in home conditions but to expect them to do that on consistent basis in SENA in their first season was always going to be difficult .... we should have realistic expectations from our youngsters. Even Tendulkar did not shoulder such burden in his first few series. The seniors and fans at time handled him relatively better  

I agree , if batsmen were doing their jobs Pandya and Pant would have been under less pressure and maybe performed better.