AB de Villiers finally breaks silence over his sudden retirement

https://www.hindustantimes.com/sports/ab-de-villiers-finally-breaks-his-silence-over-his-sudden-retirement/story-wHbyvtBio4su3GYaxNAidJ.html

“It’s been unbearable at times: the pressure you have to face, performing day in and day out. The expectations you put on yourself, from fans, from the country, from coaches,” de Villiers said.

“It is huge and it’s something that’s on your mind all the time as a cricketer. And it is definitely something that I’m not going to miss. I am very happy to have stepped away. Absolutely no regrets,” he further added.

Towards the closing stages of this career, de Villiers was criticised for picking and choosing games and formats according to his own convenience. He was on a self-served isolation from Test cricket for a good two years, before making a comeback for the home series against India and then against Australia. He was prolific in both these series (211 runs from six innings at 35.16) and Australia (427 from eight innings at 71.16) and had an impact on the outcome of the series.

However, immediately after the Australia series, the batsman who featured in 114 Tests, 228 One-Day Internationals (ODIs) and 78 Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is) for South Africa, decided to walk away from the game according to his own conditions.

Just now, sensible-indian said:

It is with a heavy heart I have to say this:

"Either this guy is lying or is a chewtiya."

I hope its the former due to compulsions.

ABD had everything to be part of the GOAT league (SRT, Lara, Viv) except for the heart.

It's not easy to take non stop criticism from no name, no lifers like Moonda. Try giving your 100% at a job and see what criticism can do you, especially when someone asks if you're 100% committed for the nation.