Bengali dishes you must try before you die

Texy

I left motherland 22 yrs ago...still miss these... 

My fav: (Alu posto) & (Biulir Daal(poppy seed potato curry & Fennel Seed daal? w/ rice) 

Kalai-Dal-ar-Alu-Posto.jpg

2: Chanar Dalna ( NOT Paneer -- Chana curdled from milk + no onion, no garlic w/ big potato chunks curry)

maxresdefault.jpg

3) Bhetki Maacher Paturi (Yes it is better than sex) (Bhetki Maach(known as Barramundi fish?)along with a paste of Mustard and Coconut wrapped in banana leaf and cooked in slow flame) bhetki+paturi.JPG

#4 DOI Ilish (Hilsa fish cooked in Yogurt)  

koyeli-s.149296471658fcd56b9bb97.jpg

No explanation needed....pure food orgasm right here... If u r reading this and u r Pakistani or English/OZ n never had fish well sux 4 u

5) Egg roll (snack food) (Fried roti in egg w/ salad/meat/spicy potato stuffing) 

roll.jpg

6) Pathishapta - dessert food (Bengali crepe w/ Kheer {rice pudding}filling)

pic13_1230902669_center.jpg

7: Murighonto (Fish head curry w/ rice) 

24.jpg?w=730

8: Pathar mangsher jhol (Bengali Mutton Curry) 

bengali_mutton_curry.jpg

9: Mishti doi (Sweet Bengali Yogurt) 

misti-doi.jpg

10: Nolen Gurer Payesh (Bengali Rice kheer)

nolen-gurer-payesh-recipe.jpg

Honorable mention: Bengali Mutton Biryani (10x better > Hyd. Biryani + all other biryanis combined #Biasedbutnotashamed :phehe:)

maxresdefault.jpg

Bengali sweets=best in the world

My favs: Bhapa Sandesh, Malai Chom Chom, Langcha, Kheer Kadam, Lobong

I am a veg, so the limited options in Bengali cuisine never won me over. However I really miss the sweets ever since moving out of the state. 

Edited by Gollum

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Bengali sweets=best in the world

My favs: Bhapa Sandesh, Malai Chom Chom, Langcha, Kheer Kadam, Lobong

I am a veg, so the limited options in Bengali cuisine never won me over. However I really miss the sweets ever since moving out of the state. 

Better than macaroons and other firangi desserts?

Bengali sweets are the best imo. The veg dishes which I've tried in my friends home were terrific too especially Shukto. Also Luchi with Payesh is something which I was given everytime there used to be a birthday celebration in a Bengali household.

Edited by Turning_track

5 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

What does it taste like btw, beef I mean? 

Always wanted to try it but limited options in India and whenever I think about it my mother's face floats in my mind.

depends on how you eat it. 

Beef i have largely had in four forms: chunks in stews/curries, ground as in sausages/burgers, slabs as in steaks and strips. 

Ground beef,strips and chunks are all basically slightly less tasty (and slightly more chewy for all but the greatest cuts) sheep (not lamb, but actual sheep). 

If you like your meat fatty(and taste-wise, i do), then NOTHING beats a good steak done medium-rare for me. Its just about the most flavorful meat you can just eat for the taste of the meat itself. I'd easily take a great steak over virtually all but the best made goat-curries and a steak is just straight up ->aging->seasoning->sits on top of a grill under fire and cooks. The end.