I would not play Bumrah in England: Michael Holding

JOHANNESBURG: West Indies legend Michael Holding has serious doubts over Jasprit Bumrah's ability as a new ball bowler and said his specific skills does not make him an automatic choice in the playing eleven during India's tour of England later this year.

"I am not sure he is going to be a good new ball bowler. He struggles to take the ball away from right-handers when bowling with the new ball. So he wouldn't be my first choice (on overseas tours). My first choice is always Bhuvneshwar Kumar," Holding said.

"Then I would think about Ishant Sharma and Mohammed Shami. When India play in England, pitches will be drastically different to South Africa. I wouldn't play Bumrah because he bangs the ball in. Those pitches need someone to bowl so that the ball who kisses the surface and gets it to move around."

Playing his maiden Test series, Bumrah turned out to be the surprise revelation and picked his maiden five-wicket haul in the third Test and Holding said the India pacer bowls a lot of variety with the old ball.

"He hits the deck hard and that's why he got those two wickets in Centurion (second innings) and the fiver here at Wanderers. When he hits the deck hard, and the ball is keeping up and down, at his pace the batsmen do not have time to react," Holding said.

"He did this very effectively, on pitches that offer this sort of assistance to him, and on such pitches he will do a pretty good job. As the ball gets older, he bowls with a lot of variety."

Indian bowlers took all 60 wickets on offer in this series, a first for India in an away three-Test contest and Holding was full of praise for the bowling contingent.

"The Indian bowlers have done an excellent job. I will never fault them on this tour. It's the batting that has failed India. Bowlers have done a very good job but then again pitches have been bowler friendly. You would want to be a bowler on these pitches especially in the first and third Tests," said Holding.

Holding, however, was disappointed with off-spinner R Ashwin, who had played in the first two Tests.

"I was disappointed with R Ashwin's bowling at Centurion. In the second innings, he bowled as if he was bowling in a limited overs game. His line was wrong. For an off-spinner who spins the ball, it was too straight. It was too negative," he said.

"He needed to pitch on off-stump and turn the ball into the batsmen. But he kept bowling middle/leg and bowled a straight, negative line. That (lone spinner) is the aspect of Indian bowling I am disappointed with (on this tour)."

India won the third Test by 63 runs but lost the series to South Africa 1-2. Even so, they remain the ICC number one side.

Holding said he doesn't pay attention to rankings.

"Numbers don't tell the full story. I don't pay attention to ICC rankings of teams or players. When India became no.1, I didn't think they were the best team. It was a similar situation when they went to England as the no.1 team a few years ago (2011) and lost every Test match," he said.

"England became No.1 team and lost to South Africa quite comfortably. So I just don't pay any attention to the rankings," said the former pacer.

Holding said batsmen let India down on this tour.

"This series hasn't gone too well from NO.1 ranked India's point of view. Their batting has failed them. At the same time, I wouldn't want to be a batsman making a living on the pitches I have seen in this series either," he said.

"The Centurion wicket was slow and bowlers enjoyed it more than batsmen. Wanderers' was a dangerous pitch. I would hate to be a batsman on such pitches," he added.

Link -https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/india-in-south-africa/i-would-not-play-bumrah-in-england-michael-holding/articleshow/62694965.cms?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=TOI&utm_content=om-bm

Pretty sure he said on commentary that Bumrah had the edge over Ishant because Bumrah was able to get the ball to jag back in to the right hander from 4th stump whereas Ishant could only do that if delivered from very wide of the bowling crease thus ruling out lbw and also leaving him vulnerable to being flicked of the batsman's legs. 

Surely we need another swing bowler in England. We only have bhuvi. But I will chose bumrah over ishant if we play only play 3 seamers

I think saini can be an excellent bowler in English conditions, swings it and bowls at very good pace also he looks to bowl fuller, most importantly he is a skiddy bowler so can be a very good asset for us in England .

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

He was spot on about Ashwin. Bowled wrong and negative lines in the second test. That's been his problem every time he plays in these conditions. Just not attacking enough, always afraid to bowl on off-stump. He bowled few overs on off-stump, but as soon as Amla hit two boundaries, he was back to his negative rubbish. Engalnd tour should be his last unless he changes his approach. 

6 minutes ago, Jamadagni said:

He was spot on about Ashwin. Bowled wrong and negative lines in the second test. That's been his problem every time he plays in these conditions. Just not attacking enough, always afraid to bowl on off-stump. He bowled few overs on off-stump, but as soon as Amla hit two boundaries, he was back to his negative rubbish. Engalnd tour should be his last unless he changes his approach. 

What did Maharaj do on that pitch? Wasn't he the best bowler for these conditions before this series? And pray tell me why a bowler will bowl positively after 6 catches are dropped off his bowling, there is a tolerance limit for everything.

Edited by Gollum
Just now, Gollum said:

What did Maharaj do on that pitch? Wasn't he the best bowler for these conditions before this series.

Now you are comparing Ashwin to Maharaj. Ashwins comepition are the other four spinners sitting on the bench for India. Currently I think all four can out bowl him. He needs to bring something to the table or else he should go away. He looks fat and pathetic on the field too.

Just now, Khota said:

Now you are comparing Ashwin to Maharaj. Ashwins comepition are the other four spinners sitting on the bench for India. Currently I think all four can out bowl him. He needs to bring something to the table or else he should go away. He looks fat and pathetic on the field too.

He is a bowler who created 11 catches in a test in SA, no Asian spinner has ever done that. He was the leading wicket taker in both the Lanka series of 2017, so how can you say there are 4 who will outbowl him? I get it you have pathological hate for Bengalis and Southies, hence the drivel against Saha/Ashwin/Vijay which are all based on lies. Don't quote me in future, I have no interest in any discussion with you.

In England where duke ball swings prodigiously..  We certainty need an all nd Out swing bowler, bhuvi is automatic choice, I still hv reservations about shami.. He blows hot nd cold nd cannot be trusted can take the game or can give it away at crucial juncture.. Ishant also doesnt evoke much confidence.. Need to find a wicket taking bowler to share the new ball with bhuvi... Bumrah is fine but new ball is not his forte as he gets seam movement instead of swing.. Need to see how he pan out in england. he has my vote of confidence.

Edited by Amit228

To an extent I agree with Holding analysis , a typical hit the deck hard kind of bowler may not be very successful in England ..but Bumrah does more than just banging the ball in ..the lenghts he bowls he should be able to extract swing more than Ishant imo . I would definatly start with Bhuvi , Bumrah and Shami in england 

9 minutes ago, Gollum said:

What did Maharaj do on that pitch? Wasn't he the best bowler for these conditions before this series? And pray tell me why a bowler will bowl positively after 6 catches are dropped off his bowling, there is a tolerance limit for everything.

How many catches were dropped off his bowling in the second innings? NONE. Being WICKETLESS on that pitch was disgraceful. Someone like Yasir Shah or Hearth would have taken a fifer in the second innings. Maharaj didn't lead their bowling attack, neither did Faf use him much whereas Ashwin was the leader of our attack on that pitch. 

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

He is a bowler who created 11 catches in a test in SA, no Asian spinner has ever done that. He was the leading wicket taker in both the Lanka series of 2017, so how can you say there are 4 who will outbowl him? I get it you have pathological hate for Bengalis and Southies, hence the drivel against Saha/Ashwin/Vijay which are all based on lies. Don't quote me in future, I have no interest in any discussion with you.

You dont engage me either because you are a racist at heart. You look at everything through region and zones. No one on this forum is more vocal supporter of DK as I feel he can deliver. Ashwin has failed for long time.

No one has supported ganguly more than I did.

No one has been more upset at removal of Kumble as coach as I have been.

No one is more critical of Kohli and he is my caste.

I was not raised that way and I dont think that way.

You on the other hand ignore numbers and chose your zonal player.

Have a nice day.

12 minutes ago, Khota said:

You dont engage me either because you are a racist at heart. You look at everything through region and zones. No one on this forum is more vocal supporter of DK as I feel he can deliver. Ashwin has failed for long time.

No one has supported ganguly more than I did.

No one has been more upset at removal of Kumble as coach as I have been.

No one is more critical of Kohli and he is my caste.

I was not raised that way and I dont think that way.

You on the other hand ignore numbers and chose your zonal player.

Have a nice day.

+1