Sign in to follow this  
Nikhil_cric

This is our longest reign as the mace holders

3 minutes ago, Moochad said:

That seems unfair, even if we win we lose points in the rankings. 

It is what it is I guess. Rankings don't take into account whether your wins and losses are home or away. England are lower ranked side and I think we had to beat them atleast 3-0/4-1 or a bigger margin to gain points. The same will hold true for the tour of Australia. 

37 minutes ago, Moochad said:

That seems unfair, even if we win we lose points in the rankings. 

results of little older matches too affect the ratings .. 

like if we had gained good amount of points 2 years ago , we tend to lose good % of it

but if we had lost good amount of points in the same period , we tend to gain some points if i am not wrong 

5 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

If we get through the Aus tour with a decent gap, it will be several years before we can be displaced. 

We hav our task cut out. Win more games in England and not lose any more tests this series. 

Not several years. I think our next away cycle might start in early 2022 in SA again and we might have an Enzed away tour before that. But yeah if we continue to smash teams at home I think we can be no. 1 till 2022 and that's 6 years.

7 minutes ago, velu said:

results of little older matches too affect the ratings .. 

like if we had gained good amount of points 2 years ago , we tend to lose good % of it

but if we had lost good amount of points in the same period , we tend to gain some points if i am not wrong 

Yes this is true.

24 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Not several years. I think our next away cycle might start in early 2022 in SA again and we might have an Enzed away tour before that. But yeah if we continue to smash teams at home I think we can be no. 1 till 2022 and that's 6 years.

With the Test Championship starting in 2019 ... cycles may change.

Kudos the the team. We needed a captain change and a total revamp and we got that. Still many improvements required but we are starting to get better. Hopefully the run continues. Having seen many captains from around the world leading their sides, Kohli, for me is sill the right man to lead this side. He loves fast bowlers more and leadership role makes him focus more on his batting and he keeps on delivering in test with the bat and just keeps getting better at it as he knows he has to bat responsibly.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

With the Test Championship starting in 2019 ... cycles may change.

Im still not convinced that this test championship will be a reality especially since India and Pakistan won't be playing each other .

This beats India’s previous best, the 2011 team.

If current team can maintain number 1 until end of 2022 they have a shot to surpass the 74 month reign of Waugh-Ponting’s Australia

8 hours ago, Lannister said:

Next cycle away series by year.

2020 Jan - NZ

2020 Dec - Aus

2021 Jun - Eng

2022 Jan - SA

I like this new schedule. We have something to look forward to each year in terms of away tours. I think we can easily hold #1 rank pretty much till 2022 or even beyond. 

Basically we have away series test cricket during the holiday periods which is really great!!

7 hours ago, kohli said:

74 month by Australia 

also just checked 

it was 112 months!!

74 since ranking came into effect in 2003. but if you go back retrospectively that reign was 112 months!

im curious to how long was WI reign at the top if you apply same retrospective ranking 

3 hours ago, AmreekanDesi said:

also just checked 

it was 112 months!!

74 since ranking came into effect in 2003. but if you go back retrospectively that reign was 112 months!

im curious to how long was WI reign at the top if you apply same retrospective ranking 

15 years give or take....!!!

I vaguely remember Michael Holding saying that in the cricket documentary "Fire in Babylon" where in he mentioned the time period roughly starting 1980 and when they lost the series to Australia in 1995.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:25 PM, Nikhil_cric said:

Which is several years

On 8/27/2018 at 3:36 AM, Stan AF said:

15 years give or take....!!!

I vaguely remember Michael Holding saying that in the cricket documentary "Fire in Babylon" where in he mentioned the time period roughly starting 1980 and when they lost the series to Australia in 1995.

dont think that is true

they may have been the dominant side for 15 years but i dont think they were ranked #1 (retrospectively) throughout this period. I think both india and pakistan were #1 for short periods

great  performance by the team ....keep it up.... badly wish we make some changes for highly inconsistant(based on conditions) batsmen and get more all round batsmen into the team

9 hours ago, AmreekanDesi said:

dont think that is true

they may have been the dominant side for 15 years but i dont think they were ranked #1 (retrospectively) throughout this period. I think both india and pakistan were #1 for short periods

Cricket ratings don't work that way. 

You have to defeat a #1 team in a series to grab the number 1 ranking. And they were undefeated for 15 years.

Ask any old timers here. They'd say who were really#1 from the 80s to the 90s

2 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Cricket ratings don't work that way. 

You have to defeat a #1 team in a series to grab the number 1 ranking. And they were undefeated for 15 years.

Ask any old timers here. They'd say who were really#1 from the 80s to the 90s

Why would you need to defeat no 1 team become no 1?

Only criteria is to have max rating points and nothing else, doesn't matter how you get those rating points.

SA lost 5 out of 6 tests to Aus in early 2000s, but still managed by become rank 1 by beating Bangladesh and Pakistan. Pollock won mace just before the WC.

On Mon Aug 27 2018 at 7:52 AM, AmreekanDesi said:

also just checked 

it was 112 months!!

89 month continue (march 1981 to July 1988)

Edited by kohli

On Mon Aug 27 2018 at 7:52 AM, AmreekanDesi said:

also just checked 

it was 112 months!!

Not 112 month.95 month continue.21 month before offical ranking & 74 month after.Sept 2001 to july 2009

3 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Are you saying that there was a #1 Test team other than the west indies during that time?. If so who was it?

Pakistan replced WI in 1988 for 2 month,and later also Australia replced them before 1992

Thank you for that link. I stand corrected. While Aus, Pakistan manage to topple West Indies for a brief period of time the windies did manage to hold the #1 ranking for a collective period of (89+28+15+31) an astonishing 163 months approx 13+ years in between (1980-1995)

2 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Thank you for that link. I stand corrected. While Aus, Pakistan manage to topple West Indies for a brief period of time the windies did manage to hold the #1 ranking for a collective period of (89+28+15+31) an astonishing 163 months approx 13+ years in between (1980-1995)

Australia also hold 157 month(dec 1995 - july 2009),in this period sa hold 7 month total.