Asian Games 2018

Gollum

Surprised there was no thread. Today's shot put event compelled me to open one. Did you guys watch Tejinder Pal Singh's awesome gold medal winning feat? Maza aa gaya. Now the real fun starts with athletics and finishing stages of badminton, hockey, boxing etc. Personally looking forward to athletics, badminton and hockey. Put this thread in 'chit-chat' section because 'other sports' section remains by and large untouched.

So you guys following the Games? Your standout performance and biggest disappointment? Any potential medal contenders for Tokyo 2020? Any trends you folks picking up?

Today's winning moment:

Edited by Gollum

Following very closely like CWG and Olympics.

There can never be a bigger disappointment than Kabaddi. This was similar to Cricket team get humiliated in 07.

Also Kidambi crashing out. :facepalm:

Personally for me archery is huge disappointment. Started Liking after rio.

Best would be Rowing team and Shot Put event today. 

Medal hopes in tokyo  :

Vinesh , Bajranj , Shuttlers and shooters as always. 

52 minutes ago, Stutter said:

Damn...Govindan Lakshmanan seems to be disqualified due to putting a step out of the track :facepalm:

I remember a similar incident in a women's event last Asian Games. That should have been a DQ but the sheikhs came and argued in favour of the athlete and ensured she got gold, can't remember the country but was definitely an African import representing a Gulf country, event was middle distance.

Indian officials who accompanied the athletes must protest, there is precedence......about time the greedy bastards justify their allocation and facilities. We spend more on these thieving officials than the players, they only sit and steal the allowances of the athletes and go sightseeing. 

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Dutee Chand (100m women's) was magnificent, she had to endure so much mental torture the past few years...my most favorite moment of the Games was her feat, missed gold by a whisker. 

I saw it live on Tv... Was dancing and shouting after her race. Great to see from Indian woman. 

Just now, randomGuy said:

I saw it live on Tv... Was dancing and shouting after her race. Great to see from Indian woman. 

Super pumped, damn I hate these Arab countries for importing African talent and distorting the playing field. Only considering Asian athletes our men and women are best in so many events. 

1 hour ago, nikred said:

Thank God, Marin is not an Asian emoji51.png

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Badminton medals in Asian games is equivalent to medals in Olympics. Infact it might be even tougher at times to reach top 3. Asian countries are powerhouses of badminton and you see new champion players rising every other year who will give tough fight in pre medal stages. Who knows Marin might not have survived fighting these Chinese, Japanes, koreans, etc. 

This has been record outing for badminton for India. 2 players in top 3 Asians is a huge achievement.

19 hours ago, Gollum said:

Super pumped, damn I hate these Arab countries for importing African talent and distorting the playing field. Only considering Asian athletes our men and women are best in so many events. 

Completely agree. Just saw Vikas Krishnan boxing match vs Tanveer Ahmed (Pak). That guy looked African from all angles, though it did not make any difference as he had raw power but no brains. And Vikas did end up kicking his ass using smart defense moves.

Badminton medals in Asian games is equivalent to medals in Olympics. Infact it might be even tougher at times to reach top 3. Asian countries are powerhouses of badminton and you see new champion players rising every other year who will give tough fight in pre medal stages. Who knows Marin might not have survived fighting these Chinese, Japanes, koreans, etc. 

This has been record outing for badminton for India. 2 players in top 3 Asians is a huge achievement.

That was just a tongue in cheek comment in view of the recent success of Marin against Sindhu. No way am I undermining her achievements. Super proud of her.

19 hours ago, Gollum said:

exactly , India missed out on 4 golds in athletes ( even counting the 10000m dq ) where only lost to African athletes . This already could have been our best outing in AGs .

46 minutes ago, nikred said:

That was just a tongue in cheek comment in view of the recent success of Marin against Sindhu. No way am I undermining her achievements. Super proud of her. emoji846.png

Got that part. Indeed Marin has a top hand in finals against both Sindhu and Saina. She does bring her A game in finals, which is commendable.

But just wanted to point that lot of people misunderstand the level at which different games are played. Example, badminton in Asian games is as brutal as Olympics, hence the drought of medals. Winning in hockey and athletics will be easier in Asian games as compared to Olympics and hence we have lots of medals through these sports historically.