Once Anderson surpasses my record, it will never be beaten - McGrath

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/103787/once-james-anderson-surpasses-my-record-it-will-never-be-beaten-glenn-mcgrath-cricket

"Records are nice and I've been very proud to have taken more wickets than any fast bowler in Test history, but any high is there to be beaten and I will be equally proud of Jimmy when he goes past me because the fast bowlers' union has to stick together, whichever country we come from," McGrath told Sportsmail.

"It is only a matter of time now before he gets there and I will be getting in touch with him as soon as he does to say well done. I have an awful lot of respect for Jimmy. Good luck to him. I believe once he goes past me he will never be beaten," he added.

"I've always said Jimmy was class, ever since I played against him in what became my last Test series in 2006-07. I noted how he swung the ball both ways conventionally, because it's a real art form. Not many have been able to do that. I can only really think of Wasim Akram, who is another great of the game, who could do that as skilfully," he said.

"When the ball is swinging he's as good as anyone out there, but when it isn't he comes back towards the pack a little bit. That was certainly the case early in his career but he's developed his skills as he's gone on and become much more effective overseas. When Jimmy plays at home with the Dukes ball he's second to none, but he has had to learn how to operate overseas with the Kookaburra ball that, to me, is not nearly as good to bowl with.

"It took him a while but he's done that now. Once Jimmy goes past me it will be interesting to see where he wants to set the bar. With the nature of the game these days, and the amount of Twenty20 cricket, I believe no fast bowler will ever go past him," he noted.

"Being a fast bowler is the toughest job in the game and people do not see the hard work off the field that goes into spending as much time at the top as Jimmy has. We put ourselves through a lot more pain than anyone else.

"So for Anderson to still be at the top of his game after 15 years in international cricket and with so many overs under his belt just shows his work ethic and his physical and mental strength," McGrath reckoned.

"So can Anderson get somewhere close to the three great spinners above me in the all-time wickets table? I reckon that once he's knocked my tally off the next goal will be 600 wickets and that would be an incredible feat.

"Then you have Anil Kumble on 619 which is feasible but I'm not sure how close Jimmy can get to Shane Warne on 708 or Muttiah Muralitharan on 800. Even someone as great as Anderson will find that a bit of a struggle."

50 minutes ago, velu said:

but he wont be playing 150++ tests like jimmy  

Rabada is 23 and already taken 150 wickets in 3 years. It will be difficult to maintain such standards but he can get to 400 wickets quickly.

After that every wicket is going to be an uphill task.

5 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Rabada is 23 and already taken 150 wickets in 3 years. It will be difficult to maintain such standards but he can get to 400 wickets quickly.

Jimmy Anderson has taken 405 from the age of 28 - 36 , 

16 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

400 wickets by 30 is possible.

20 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

That is superhuman effort.

He is a bit like Richard Hadlee who didn't start off very well but matured into the bowler he was .

Jimmy started with a bang but coaches changing his action, lots of injuries, being dropped  meant he didn't really fire as a bowler until he went back to his original action after quite a few years of mediocrity. 

I didn't know this stat till last week when it was brought up to him in a radio interview by Simon Hughes ex England bowler , must admit I thought that's pretty impressive too 

10 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

He is a bit like Richard Hadlee who didn't start off very well but matured into the bowler he was .

Jimmy started with a bang but coaches changing his action, lots of injuries, being dropped  meant he didn't really fire as a bowler until he went back to his original action after quite a few years of mediocrity. 

I didn't know this stat till last week when it was brought up to him in a radio interview by Simon Hughes ex England bowler , must admit I thought that's pretty impressive too 

so far his career parallels to our very own isshaanth :p: 

35 minutes ago, PSB_Zone said:

Broad is 4 years younger and has only 130 wickets less..

I must say if steyn didnt had that injury for 2 years he wd hv been very close..He is also younger than anderson

injuries are part of the game.  some suffer early, some late.  Anderson suffered plenty early in his career. Steyn at the fag end of his career.

Anderson is an incredible bowler, no doubt. The accuracy and physical longevity are his greatest assets.

But he is also helped by:

1) England regularly play a number of tests every year.

2) Extremely helpful home conditions suited for his type of bowling.

Unlikely anyone will catch up and Anderson is far from finished yet.