Tennis: US Open 2018

Gollum

Surprised to see no thread. Timings are hard for those based in India, out of all the majors USO is the one I have followed the least over the years. Let's keep track of the event. WTA no 1 Halep knocked out, Stan beat Dimitrov in R1 and British no 1 Edmund too made an early exit. Nadal has an easy draw, Fed-Nole potential QF. 

Heart wants Federer and Ostapenko to win.

Mind says Nadal and Sloane Stephens. 

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Surprised to see no thread. Timings are hard for those based in India, out of all the majors USO is the one I have followed the least over the years. Let's keep track of the event. WTA no 1 Halep knocked out, Stan beat Dimitrov in R1 and British no 1 Edmund too made an early exit. Nadal has an easy draw, Fed-Nole potential QF. 

Heart wants Federer and Ostapenko to win.

Mind says Nadal and Sloane Stephens. 

I see as all new winners this time. May be Djokovic might have an edge but lets see.

In Women, I see Kerber as the winner

Federer is not in good form and not good enough to take on an inform del potro,novack ,Nadal in bo5 atm .

All depends on how he feels the court and how his body reacts in the first 4 rounds because he'll have to be on the top of his game against novack in the qf on this slow uso court but all said and done if the courts play fast this time then he'll have a shot .

I've got no idea who'll reach the finals because you never know the upsets on the cards in uso. 

I'll go with a delpo-Djokovic final 

2 hours ago, Adi BB said:

Federer is not in good form and not good enough to take on an inform del potro,novack ,Nadal in bo5 atm .

All depends on how he feels the court and how his body reacts in the first 4 rounds because he'll have to be on the top of his game against novack in the qf on this slow uso court but all said and done if the courts play fast this time then he'll have a shot .

I've got no idea who'll reach the finals because you never know the upsets on the cards in uso. 

I'll go with a delpo-Djokovic final 

Conditions playing at the perfect pace for Fed. Not as slow as last year but also not very quick. Fed's ROS post AO has been horrendous and on quicker courts that flaw was a big drawback......this is the perfect pace for his declined ROS. Also now that his killer FH is gone he needs the 2017 Indian Wells BH, to unleash that a moderately high bouncing medium paced hard court is best. Also he looked slower this year and his kissing the baseline strategy won't work on faster courts. I am glad he is on collision course with Nole in QF, he may feel less pressure at that stage of the tournament. If he loses fine, will be easier to digest rather than SF/F heartbreak. If he wins he gets confidence and a great baseline workout that may come in handy against the likes of Nadal and Potro. 

Edited by Gollum

41 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

want nadal to close the gap with fed., but djoker will win. he is in ominous form. He will win it.

Nadal has looked the best this year methinks. If not for closed roof he may well have won SW19. Nole won Cincy but Nadal showed a much higher level in Rogers Cup, also USO F H2H advantage is with the Spaniard. In general Nole has been poor in USO finishing stages, 5 F losses and meagre 2 wins. 

Edited by Gollum

Rogers cup is played on a much slower surface which Fed never won in his life, while Cincinnati is the fastest in the US open series which does not suit Novak's game. So the comparisons about their performance there would not be valid for the US open. My favorite to win the US open would be Novak ahead of both Rafa and Fed. Outside the top three, I think the only other contender might be Cilic. Delpo will not last the rigor of a grand slam end of the second week. Zverev, I don't think has the mental toughness yet.

6 hours ago, eternalhope said:

Rogers cup is played on a much slower surface which Fed never won in his life, while Cincinnati is the fastest in the US open series which does not suit Novak's game. So the comparisons about their performance there would not be valid for the US open. My favorite to win the US open would be Novak ahead of both Rafa and Fed. Outside the top three, I think the only other contender might be Cilic. Delpo will not last the rigor of a grand slam end of the second week. Zverev, I don't think has the mental toughness yet.

Roger has won here twice 

10 hours ago, Adi BB said:

Roger has won here twice 

Yes you are right. I got the wrong info from my kids on the day Djoker got to his Golden Masters at Cincinnati as they were researching what Fed and Rafa did not win. They were saying that Roger never won Rogers :cantstop:. Should have verified, but thanks for letting me know.

Sad to see all the fighters like David Ferrer and Giles Muller retire. This was their last grandslam. Even for Mikhail Youzhny.

David ferrer is the goat of all the fighters, 

One of the best Tennis players of this generation who just could not beat the top3 but was regularly their in Quarters and Semis and way above rest of the players whom he was way ahead in the game, but just not in top 4.

Absolute legend. 

Isner vs Jarry was an epic match today. Absolute Davis cup atmosphere as all Chilean fans were doing Ole Ole chants and other random chants in Spanish and they were in big numbers. US crowd started pulling “USA USA” chants and that fired Isner up. Just look at the ending of the match when Isner breaks to go 5-4 up and the match point. He was pumped.

Best match so far this US Open.