Ravichandran Ashwin... is he fit enough to play test cricket?

asterix

Watched the final stretch of their innings. He almost got Broad out twice in an over, dismissed their 2 best batsmen of the day: Curran and Moeen and had a few close LBW shouts. Figures read 40/2 in some 15 overs....you expect 40/5 on day 1 England pitch? Well not happening even if the bowler is Warne or Murali. What a stupid thread. That too on a day where we have taken a big stride towards leveling the series, 246 a.o on a 400 par pitch and you guys complain, WTF?

I have followed Indian cricket since the time of 90s Kumble and let me tell you you don't just turn up in SENA and pick 4fers on day 1. Everyone plays a role and today Ashwin played his part very well.

Who are these guys. Bring back bajji gang or Kuldeep the new warne folks?? Ashwin is a much improved bowler now which was evident even in SA. He was much better than herath in SL, Maharaja in SA and will be better than Lyon in Australia next year. 

Edited by R.D forever
36 minutes ago, asterix said:

Only because the so called bag of tricks not working at all. Both the wickets he got was when batsman trying to hit out... If they don’t hit out, can easily play him...

That's BS. Sometimes unplayable balls don't fetch wickets and sometimes ordinary balls are enough. Did you count the great balls he bowled which had them tied up but couldn't get their names on wicket column? Or his bad luck w.r.t umpires call in LBWs? Nobody is forcing them to hit out. Moeen went aggro at a stage where they were recovering well, Curran could have been calculative and taken England to end of day's play...don't blame the bowler if the batsmen can't execute their plans. Moreover both the wicket taking balls weren't full tosses or rank short pitch balls, the kind which got Rashid his wickets. There was an element of loop and change of pace that deceived the well set (test) batsmen. If they could easily play him they wouldn't have crawled at 2.5 RPO, 5 LBW shouts, 3 'almost carried' edges in a span of 15 overs.

9 minutes ago, R.D forever said:

FFS. Would you create same thread for a pace bowler in subcontinent condition? Finger spinner getting 2 wickets for 40 odd runs in 1st day English condition is more than enough. Always cribbing about something :no:

He's the world's no1 spinner for a while now ,I personally expected a lot from him especially after the 1st test .ashwin himself would be disappointed with today's outcome so I don't understand why people are defending him.

His side strain and thigh strain is also a result of his unfit body which is primarily his own fault 

5 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

He's the world's no1 spinner for a while now ,I personally expected a lot from him especially after the 1st test .ashwin himself would be disappointed with today's outcome so I don't understand why people are defending him.

His side strain and thigh strain is also a result of his unfit body which is primarily his own fault 

At what? Read @sensible-indian's post above and come back with an answer. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

At what? Read @sensible-indian's post above and come back with an answer. 

At being the no 1 bowler and not being able to get the Currans and moens out quickly especially with his great repo against lefties. The type of person  he is ,I am pretty sure he'd be disappointed at not getting those two out early ,hes the type of guy who wants to excel and not settle for mediocrity which some of you are defending to no end 

33 minutes ago, Vilander said:

But the guy is unfit..i mean how can an international fckg athelete whose only work is to stay fit and do a physically astounding job not be more fit than a regular every day joe ??

Test cricket is skills based, fitness is secondary.

Ashwin or for that matter even Amit Mishra or Romesh Powar are way fitter than regular Indians. Regular Indians won't be able to spend a session on the field in international cricket, regular Indians won't be able to exert themselves for 30 continuous minutes under the sun.

1 minute ago, Adi BB said:

At being the no 1 bowler and not being able to get the Currans and moens out quickly especially with his great repo against lefties. The type of person  he is ,I am pretty sure he'd be disappointed at not getting those two out early ,hes the type of guy who wants to excel and not settle for mediocrity which some of you are defending to no end 

to be honest..i am sick of this Curran being lucky to escape..ahh great ball but curran survives..

fcuking get him. Bumrah Ashwin both could not dislodge him earlier...Eng were there for the taking...at 86..120..at 140...no 240.lol

Just now, Gollum said:

Test cricket is skills based, fitness is secondary.

Ashwin or for that matter even Amit Mishra or Romesh Powar are way fitter than regular Indians. Regular Indians won't be able to spend a session on the field in international cricket, regular Indians won't be able to exert themselves for 30 continuous minutes under the sun.

dude i agree...they are super fit.

but is Ashwin fit enough to be an international athelete..

be honest, if you were paid millions and had the skill to be a great international athlete.

Would you have any lack of motivation in the morning to pump iron and do all sorts of core strength training to be absolutely on top of what you can do when you are on prime time..how can the guy have a paunch ?  

6 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

World of difference between he didn't bowl great and he bowled crap.

He has a perception problem because he hasn't yet won a game for India in SENA countries (which has got more to do with unfortunate timing).

Also since he irritates fans with his variations rather than bowling 5 or 6 balls in one spot, that anger gets directed elsewhere.

Only way to shed the perception is by winning a few games in SENA. He has to consistently perform well and hope the team clicks when he does.

Then people will view him in a different way.

Time will tell if he is able to do this or not.

1 hour ago, asterix said:

I don’t care what he does but it’s pathetic that his bag of tricks not at all working against lefty tail Enders...

Look the pacers can’t take all the wickets. But India is not able to finish off the tail because of the pitch becoming easy and ball getting soft. That’s where Curran and co scoring runs... From 88/6 they got away...

Only because the so called bag of tricks not working at all. Both the wickets he got was when batsman trying to hit out... If they don’t hit out, can easily play him...

be sensible with your criticism. Follow sensible Indian.

58 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

You know how many overs he bowled to English tail? 

Broad 1 over.... Alnost gone 2 times. 

Anderson 1 ball.... Curran got out. 

He picked up Moeen Ali. Got Curran lbw (umpire's call). 

Was taken off the attack after picking up a wicket.

Exactly pinpoint the instances in the match where he let it slip away. 

So true.  Where were all the vultures on this thread when he took out Cook 2 times in a row with *en Jaffas?   Take the conditions into account a bit.  Ball wasn't turning at all today, England wouldn't dare risk a track that will turn from Day 1.  Not against us.  They'd rather keep it green and moist - too bad for them that it's backfiring anyway.

There's still plenty of time left in this test for him to come back and win it for us in the 2nd dig - provided the batsmen deliver for once and put up a nice 420-450 on the board. 

Just now, sensible-indian said:

World of difference between he didn't bowl great and he bowled crap.

He has a perception problem because he hasn't yet won a game for India in SENA countries (which has got more to do with unfortunate timing).

Also since he irritates fans with his variations rather than bowling 5 or 6 balls in one spot, that anger gets directed elsewhere.

Only way to shed the perception is by winning a few games in SENA. He has to consistently perform well and hope the team clicks when he does.

Then people will view him in a different way.

Time will tell if he is able to do this or not.

Agree .He will find it hard in Australia (any spinner will ) so he has to make this series count because England batting is in a doldrum and are short of confidence.

He has to comeback strongly in the next 3 innings and he has a huge opportunity to make a match winning impact with the ball in the next innings 

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

So true.  Where were all the vultures on this thread when he took out Cook 2 times in a row with *en Jaffas?   Take the conditions into account a bit.  Ball wasn't turning at all today, England wouldn't dare risk a track that will turn from Day 1.  Not against us.  They'd rather keep it green and moist - too bad for them that it's backfiring anyway.

There's still plenty of time left in this test for him to come back and win it for us in the 2nd dig - provided the batsmen deliver for once and put up a nice 420-450 on the board. 

i think questioning his bowling ability is disingenuous, but he is just about passably fit for an international cricketer.  If he is not physically constrained he will do better, this is a bit like Zak. he was super skilled but would often hold his hamstring, and folks would be like here we go again. 

18 minutes ago, Adi BB said:

Nobody is defending anything, we are having a facts based argument here.

On his 22nd ball to Moeen he got him out. Moeen scored 9 runs in the previous 21 balls.

On his 49th ball to Curran he got him out. In the previous 48 balls Curran scored 23 runs off his bowling. Also an LBW umpire's call but let us forget that for the time being and focus only on the numbers.

What do you think is lacking in the stats? Moeen 9(22) and Curran 23(49).......their 2 best batsmen this innings. Average 16, SR never mind.

RELEVANT LINK

1 hour ago, asterix said:

He’s clearly not fit in this series. Don’t want this guy in the last match.

He’s already screwed up in this match...

Same question.

Edited by Gollum