Is Captain/Management still to blame for Rahane's failures

Number

Many posters here said Rahane is failing because he lost confidence as he was dropped for Rohit for one test in SA.

In England he has played 7 innings and has scored in just one. 

Do people still blame the captain/coach for his failures ?

Is it not the responsibility of batsman himself to grind out, spend time in the middle, score some runs and regain the confidence.

2 minutes ago, Number said:

Many posters here said Rahane is failing because he lost confidence as he was dropped for Rohit for one test in SA.

Is it not the responsibility of batsman himself to grind out, spend time in the middle, score some runs and regain the confidence.

The only one who can feel himself undone by the mgmt is pujara. Rahane keeps getting chances after chances and fails to deliver. Enough is enough 

9 minutes ago, Number said:

2 tests.

The thing is it's not just Rahane. Vijay, Pujara, Rahul, Dhawan have all underwhelmed as well. Some people are just stuck on Rahane (for whatever reason). 

One factor in the overall deterioration of Indian batting has to be the types of pitches we play on at home. The kinds of turners we play on for home tests don't allow for ironing out of technical issues at home like they used to for our players.  There are way too many minefields we play on at home over the last 5-6 years. Our spinners are making merry at home, but our batsmen lack the ability to get out of a rut at home now, it seems. 

This is true in Ranji trophy/domestic matches as well, when the push for "fast bowlers" encouraged the production of green tracks at some venues and allowed random trundlers pick up tons of wickets. 

One doesn't develop as a batsman on green mambas and minefields; skills are honed on more balanced pitches where there is something in it for both batsmen and bowlers. 

26 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

The thing is it's not just Rahane. Vijay, Pujara, Rahul, Dhawan have all underwhelmed as well. Some people are just stuck on Rahane (for whatever reason). 

One factor in the overall deterioration of Indian batting has to be the types of pitches we play on at home. The kinds of turners we play on for home tests don't allow for ironing out of technical issues at home like they used to for our players.  There are way too many minefields we play on at home over the last 5-6 years. Our spinners are making merry at home, but our batsmen lack the ability to get out of a rut at home now, it seems. 

This is true in Ranji trophy/domestic matches as well, when the push for "fast bowlers" encouraged the production of green tracks at some venues and allowed random trundlers pick up tons of wickets. 

One doesn't develop as a batsman on green mambas and minefields; skills are honed on more balanced pitches where there is something in it for both batsmen and bowlers. 

I don't agree, any batsmen can get into bad form and have a bad series or two.Rahane for most part of his career e has one innings per series where he does well, rest of time he stinks.So now we know that was the best he  could offer as a batsman.

Pujara is showing, when you hit some runs as a batsmen you tend to carry that form to next match too. 

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I don't agree, any batsmen can get into bad form and have a bad series or two.Rahane for most part of his career e has one innings per series where he does well, rest of time he stinks.So now we know that was the best he  could offer as a batsman.

Pujara is showing, when you hit some runs as a batsmen you tend to carry that form to next match too. 

I don't disagree with that, that is almost confirmed by his overall average of 41. Pujara is around 50, so it's apparent Pujara is overall more consistent of the two. 

However, I do think it is fair to say that our batting conditions at home don't allow our batsmen to regain or maintain form, like our conditions used to when the likes of Sachin/Dravid/VVS played. 

Just using Rahane as an example, his poor form almost always comes when we return to our minefields at home

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/277916.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

Otherwise, as evidenced by his innings list, he is pretty consistent while batting away from home.

16 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

I don't disagree with that, that is almost confirmed by his overall average of 41. Pujara is around 50, so it's apparent Pujara is overall more consistent of the two. 

However, I do think it is fair to say that our batting conditions at home don't allow our batsmen to regain or maintain form, like our conditions used to when the likes of Sachin/Dravid/VVS played. 

Just using Rahane as an example, his poor form almost always comes when we return to our minefields at home

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/277916.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

Otherwise, as evidenced by his innings list, he is pretty consistent while batting away from home.

Other than Australian  series and SA series way back in 2015, India is playing on fairly good pitches at home. Problem with Rahane is he stinks against spin and is not wristy like other Indian batsmen.

I have never rated Rahane high, he does not look like a class batsmen to me atleast.Pujara is showing only if one of these guys had shown some skill India was winning this match hands down.

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I have never rated Rahane high, he does not look like a class batsmen to me atleast.Pujara is showing only if one of these guys had shown some skill India was winning this match hands down.

This is definitely a fair criticism. I am surprised at how poorly he as a Mumbai batsman plays spin. Although I haven't watched their Ranji matches, surely Mumbai coaching should have done something to fix the issue. 

5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Other than Australian  series and SA series way back in 2015, India is playing on fairly good pitches at home. Problem with Rahane is he stinks against spin and is not wristy like other Indian batsmen.

I think there have been a fair amount of minefields, although I haven't went through series by series to check. It seems only top batsmen like ABD, Smith, Kane, Root can score, while the rest get out early. I think only Kohli and Pujara even average over 50 in India as of now.

2 hours ago, Tibarn said:

We have played on max 6 rank turners at home post 2011 WC. This rank turner nonsense is a figment of imagination, propounded by those who want to downplay our home dominance. Eng, SA, NZ have probably played on 6-7 green tops at home in the last 7 years, and that is a conservative estimate. Only Australian pitches have been consistently good for batting...suits their strength that way.

33 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Rahane k paas das bahane hai

But he himself has wasted so many opportunities, Vihari is not been sent their to serve drinks to Asstri, should be given a place straightway in 5 th test 

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwjpqIOV_ZfdAhWDfX0KHd01A9gQ8TUwAXoECAsQEQ&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov#