Strategic errors, mistakes and blunders

Vk1

We should make a note of these strategic errors that our team makes in every series. These days, tests are either going really close or going completely lopsided. When matches to close, it becomes a game of percentages... 

Let's think of the errors we have been noticing this series..

I would say playing Pandya at 6, playing Shami at 9 instead of Ishant - losing crucial 10 or 20 run partnerships. 

Not bowling around the wicket against tailenders like @express bowling bro pointed out ?

Playing pant at lords comes under blunder though.

It's difficult, the team selection was correct.

Curran played another blinder.

The backroom need to have a plan against him. They need to do their research. 

In this Test he looked way too comfortable for a no.7. 

Surely there must a weakness in his batting, for guy averaging only 28 with the bat in First Class.

I see no plans for him in the field or bowling to him. 

I feel there was lack of homework against the likes of Rashid, Curran, Ali etc during English innings. We were quite disciplined when we had them reeling at 86/6 after that I didn't see a coherent approach from our side. We didn't even get a whiff when the score became 150+. 

Moeen is the worst player of short ball, much worse than Raina. Should've peppered him with those on his body. Then there was the introduction of Ashwin, he came to bowl for an over in 25th over when they were 4 down. By the time he came for his 2nd over, Curran & Ali were already set. He should've been reintroduced way too early against these 2 lefties. 

Ashwin's pace now. I am no bowling expert, but it's clear when he slows it down he gets bounce and turn. He does 2 or 3 deliveries per over and the other balls he fires in, carrom, leg spin, gods know what :wall: 

Too many players not showing up to support the other guys, batting or bowling, due to lack of prep or tactical errors

3 minutes ago, chewy said:

Ashwin's pace now. I am no bowling expert, but it's clear when he slows it down he gets bounce and turn. He does 2 or 3 deliveries per over and the other balls he fires in, carrom, leg spin, gods know what :wall: 

Too many players not showing up to support the other guys, batting or bowling, due to lack of prep or tactical errors

Or may be simply not good enough

When they showed Ashwin's action in the first test vs this innings it's clear that he is  either not fully fit or out of form. How then did we pick him though we have Jadeja, who is as good as Ashwin is at home or abroad.  This to me could turn out to be another series defining epic blunder after that Kuldeep fiasco.

1 minute ago, Vk1 said:

When they showed Ashwin's action in the first test vs this innings it's clear that he is  either not fully fit or out of form. How then did we pick him though we have Jadeja, who is as good as Ashwin is at home or abroad.  This to me could turn out to be another series defining epic blunder after that Kuldeep fiasco.

Jaddu doesn't flight the ball though, and he bowls at an even quicker pace than Ashwin. Ashwin's only getting good turn when he is flighting the ball at around 50 kph. 

This would have been a good pitch for Kuldeep to debut 

5 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

Jaddu doesn't flight the ball though, and he bowls at an even quicker pace than Ashwin. Ashwin's only getting good turn when he is flighting the ball at around 50 kph. 

This would have been a good pitch for Kuldeep to debut 

True but he does magic when no one expects..we should give up on Ashwin considering his form and fitness.

13 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

True but he does magic when no one expects..we should give up on Ashwin considering his form and fitness.

I am beginning to agree with your original post more and more, even though Ashwin just got a wicket. 

Even though Jaddu is quicker and doesn't float the ball, he would have at least figured it out before the 26th over that he needs to  consistently bowl the ball on the footholes.