Asia Cup squad announced, Rohit to lead.... Khaleel Selected

27 minutes ago, Franco Vazquez said:

Tendulkar played for a bit too long too. He should have retired after the WC win. Still can't figure out why didn't he retire after that night in Mumbai. What else did he want to achieve in ODIs?

Tendulkar didnt retire after the world.cup because he had 99 hundreds to his name at that time. The hunt for "just one more" took way too long and damaged his image.

Edited by nevada

Pluses 

1.  Khaleel Ahmed included.  He is tall, left armed, bouncy and quick.  We needed this variation in our bowling attack.  We had too many shortish medium paced bowlers in LOIs in England.  Plus ... he is in good LOI form this year.

2.  Kohli rested.   Needs it badly.

3.  Kaul, Umesh and Raina dropped.  Kaul is not international class, Umesh should stick to test matches and Raina is past it.

Minuses

1.  Rayudu included  !!   Why  ?  His strike rate is usually very low in ODIs.  Very poor selection and perhaps a quota pick.

2.  Lack of power hitters in the lower-middle order barring Pandya.  We have been ignoring this important area for too long now.

3.  Krunal or Gowtham would have been better than Axar.

4. Saini should have picked in place of Shardul.  He is more accurate, which is very important in ODIs. Plus he is taller, bouncier and quicker.  Bumrah, Bhuvi, Khaleel and Saini would have been ideal.

5.  Dhoni stays on despite multiple very poor performances with the bat.

Edited by express bowling
16 minutes ago, Gollum said:

What purpose will Bhuvi serve on UAE tracks in ODIs? Irritating to see them ignoring Shami who is statistically our best quick and someone who can take wickets upfront. He was also very good in the 2015 WC (3rd best bowler behind Starc/Boult)...how the hell isn't he in the picture for 2019?

Doubt shami will make xi for worldcup. Bhuvi and pandya will make xi but won't get any wicket and only bumrah & kuldeep will be impact player. Other all are trash and we will hardly get wickets on those track with only 2 bowlers.

Also none of these bowlers have played worldcup before so i would keep shami as experienced bowler in place of bhuvi and might actually want to drop pandya for geniune pacer.

Edited by Nikola

Its not a terrible squad.

For me the only pick I'd disagree with emphatically it's Thakur. Done nothing in list A cricket to merit it. 

I'd like to have seen Krunal in there too, maybe even instead of Hardik who deserves a rest. Or instead of Kedar as spin bowling batsman. Iirc Kedar has done little/no batting for the A team since his come back from injury.

There is also the issue of where Kedar would bat - he's a good (indeed the squads only) 6th bowler option..but batting at 6 is too low for him and too low for MSD. Both should bat at 5 or not at all.

Hardik could bat at 6 maybe Axar at 7 but that's too high for him and too long a tail.

Not overjoyed with Rayudu, but he's been in form in the Quadrangular- more so than Iyer. And I guess bit more experience then Iyer and Vihari.

Can't believe the stick Manish is getting given the form he's in. His ODI  career has been a combination of not taken opportunity and unfair treatment. For me He has to play all matches in this tournament, at 4.

Axar  for all the criticism has a good ER . Would have been good to see Gowtham - I don't think he's much of an upgrade on Axar though-  or more so Gopal instead it'd be nice to try another leggie.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Pluses 

1.  Khaleel Ahmed included.  He is tall, left armed, bouncy and quick.  We needed this variation in our bowling attack.  We had too many shortish medium paced bowlers in LOIs in England.  Plus ... he is in good LOI form this year.

2.  Kohli rested.   Needs it badly.

3.  Kaul, Umesh and Raina dropped.  Kaul is not international class, Umesh should stick to test matches and Raina is past it.

Minuses

1.  Rayudu included  !!   Why  ?  His strike rate is usually very low in ODIs.  Very poor selection and perhaps a quota pick.

2.  Lack of power hitters in the lower-middle order barring Pandya.  We have been ignoring this important area for too long now.

3.  Krunal or Gowtham would have been better than Axar.

4. Saini should have picked in place of Shardul.  He is more accurate, which is very important in ODIs. Plus he is taller, bouncier and quicker.  Bumrah, Bhuvi, Khaleel and Saini would have been ideal.

5.  Dhoni stays on despite multiple very poor performances with the bat.

yeah Saini should have been picked too.