Batting order

vvvslaxman

Assuming the target is somewhere around 260. What should be the batting order? Damn we don't have someone like Sehwag to completely shock them from the get go. Should we promote Punt with tight attacking field sets.  If he can score a quick 40 we can push them on the defensive.  India should not think like they are facing Malcom Marshall on a pacy wicket, Muralitharan on a turner. You have to bring every ounce of our concentration, determination in you to survive and make runs. Pujara did that. Do or Die match. Time is not an issue. Whatever i wrote may become a joke as India could get bowled out for 120 runs lol  But they have to  be a bit more positive.

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Assuming the target is somewhere around 260. What should be the batting order? Damn we don't have someone like Sehwag to completely shock them from the get go. Should we promote Punt with tight attacking field sets.  If he can score a quick 40 we can push them on the defensive.  India should not think like they are facing Malcom Marshall on a pacy wicket, Muralitharan on a turner. You have to bring every ounce of our concentration, determination in you to survive and make runs. Pujara did that. Do or Die match. Time is not an issue. Whatever i wrote may become a joke as India could get bowled out for 120 runs lol  But they have to  be a bit more positive.

There is no negative bone in this team as we were told by a cheerleader coach after winning the last game :giggle:.Dhawan also scores quickly those 20-30 runs can he do it again?

Won't change the order. 

Assuming that we'll be chasing 260-270:

Openers: don't expect more than 50-60 runs from them combined. Anything more is a bonus. But 60 odd will still be ok.

Remaining deficit: 210-220.

Pujara, Kohli and Rahane will have to collectively score at least 120. One of them will have to step up and get a big score. Pujara and Kohli's form is encouraging.

Remaining deficit: <100-90 runs

This is where things will get jittery. Pant, Pandya and Ashwin are wild cards. Ashwin, in particular, can hardly put a foot right in this game. Their job will be to score the bulk of those remaining 100 runs and leave little for the tail to do. 

Definitely a tough ask but not impossible. Have to hold our nerve when it matters. One 3 digit partnership from our boys and we'll very likely pull this off.

Actually in a weird way, chasing a higher total may help us.

It's high enough that no one expects us to chase it down but not so high enough that it crushes us psychologically (like a 400 would do).

And that means batsmen can play without pressure.

Just be positive. Leave the good balls and for the bad balls, GIVE THE FULL MONTY.

Dhawan and Rahul are super super super crucial and their attacking game might benefit us. I would drop Pujara down the order in casse anything goes wrong and we have to shut shop.

Dhawan

Rahul

Rahane

Kohli

Pant

Pandya

Pujara
Ashwin

Ishant

Shami

Bumrah

Go for it.

We have nothing to lose.

Edited by sensible-indian

If you play off Moeen, runs are there for the taking on this track.

The key to playing off Moeen is NOT to attack him but to play off his good balls. He WILL give you easy balls to hit.

Last innings, inspite of a 5fer, he went at almost 4 rpo.

In fact almost 5 rpo after we were 8 down.

Attacking him will lead to our destruction. Playing him like a top quality spinner may turn it around for us.

9 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Actually in a weird way, chasing a higher total may help us.

It's high enough that no one expects us to chase it down but not so high enough that it crushes us psychologically (like a 400 would do).

And that means batsmen can play without pressure.

Just be positive. Leave the good balls and for the bad balls, GIVE THE FULL MONTY.

Dhawan and Rahul are super super super crucial and their attacking game might benefit us. I would drop Pujara down the order in casse anything goes wrong and we have to shut shop.

Dhawan

Rahul

Rahane

Kohli

Pant

Pandya

Pujara
Ashwin

Ishant

Shami

Bumrah

Go for it.

We have nothing to lose.

Last inning's unbeaten centurion at number 7 - I thought you were a sensible indian :phehe:

14 minutes ago, WeStMiDz said:

Last inning's unbeaten centurion at number 7 - I thought you were a sensible indian :phehe:

I forgot there were 2 more days left.

Anyways, one of the big problems we might face is that our lower order bats may not feel confident batting on their own.

Pandya and Ashwin batting with 50 to win is a scary situation. It may work but odds are it won't.

By dropping Pujara down the order, we give stability to our lower order if something goes wrong (mini collapse). This is all assuming our openers get off to a flier and we continue attacking with other bats.

But then there is also a good chance this pitch has turned into a flattish SC track in which case, Pujara up the order can control the innings better.

I don't mind experimenting. I suppose Pujara at 3 is the safer option.

But last 80 odd runs, we need a Kohli or Pujara in one end. That's for sure. A set Rahane might do as well.

i had this same thought and the OP has opened the thread and looks like most fans have this feeling.

rahane needs to be at 6 .

i think we need to give license to rahul, shikhar, pandya and pant to go ballistic  or play natural game with some changes too their crease position ( score like sehwag) and pujara, kohli, rahane, ashwin to rotate strike.

i dont want pant and pandya coming one after another. if they have a less S/R batsman with them maybe they can play their natural game better.

This would be my batting order shikhar rahul pujara kohli pant/pandya  rahane pandya/pant ashwin  ishant shami bumrah

Edited by prasen82