Indian bowling in Odis for Worldcup - Weak?

Nikola

Okay first of all i want to tell that this is just my thinking you guys can comment on what you guys think.

Indian bowling in odis looks weak to me for worldcup.

Let's look at bowlers we will most likely see in playing xi for worldcup.

- Pandya (avg 40.35)

- Bhuvi (avg 38.85)

- Bumrah (avg 22.50)

- Kuldeep (avg 19.35)

- Chahal (avg 23.86)

Okay these stats might not tell much truth so let's get more deep.

I am gonna focus on bhuvi (who will be lead bowler). Many here will know what pandya can do with ball. For chahal i feel he is hyped bowler right now and will not be that effective in worldcup.

Bhuvneshwar Kumar's Stats (87 matches)

Avg vs Top 4 countries.

• Australia (12 matches) - 64.37 
  • England (14 matches) - 53.50
  • South Africa (13 matches) - 52.92
  • New Zealand (8 matches) - 48.00

Okay many people will get angry on me for showing this but he has been trundler who uses tricks to get few batsman out here and there. In this era of batsman he won't get green pitches in odis like he gets in test cricket. I agree he is handy batsman at times but do we really need that batting this much that we don't care about his bowling? When was last time he ran through side in his career? I can't remember any.

Hardik Pandya is pretty avg bowler and surely can't play when you have trundler like bhuvi already in side. He might be useful in t20s where you can be wicketless and still be okay but here he will have to bowl all 10 overs for worldcup.

Yuzvendra Chahal is to be fair okay bowler but at times can be easily slogged. If you are quality batsman you won't have alot troubles playing him. He can have a good time in few match but i am not sure if he can have big impact when needed most.

Jasprit Bumrah & Kuldeep Yadav are only two bowlers who give me some confidence that they can pick wickets against any side but you can still play kuldeep if you are good batsman while other might have issue against him. Bumrah will have to work on fitness and no ball issues.

Worldcup Experience - None of these bowler have worldcup experience. Yeah bhuvi has played 1 match in worldcup against minnow side but i am talking about playing whole worldcup. Will depend if we want to go with one experienced bowler from last worldcup or go with fresh attack.

Who we can look at? Well we can either youngster (might be too late now) or someone like shami/umesh for worldcup squad. I have no doubt that one of the two will be in worldcup squad but i am not sure if they will play in xi.

Edited by Nikola

We don't necessarily need Bhuvi in ODIs as he is useful when conditions favor him much like how many of our spinners are in India ....  Bhuvi is good for Tests in Eng, SA, etc., and T20s 

Assuming that it will be a 15 member squad

Batsmen and WK: Kohli, Rohit, Dhawan, Rahul, Dhoni (will be there), Karthik and Pant

ARs: Hardik and Krunal

Pace Bowlers: Bumrah, and 3 from Shami (can pick up wkts), Yadav, Khaleel, Saini, Rajpoot, etc. 

Spinners: Kuldeep and Chahal / Sunder / Gowtham

2 minutes ago, GautiMaan said:

We won in 2011 by stacking the batting.That strength sadly has been lost.

Aussies won 2015 for the exact same reasons. Its evident we are no longer looking at developing any new player for next world cup. Maybe the thought is we are too close to developing someone new but we arent winning with the team they have selected. 

Yes, it does look weak we have only one genuine wicket taker in bumra in English conditions, we need rejuvenated bhuvi back asap one who bowls in the 140+kph and lethal at the death with pin point yorkers, still has time he can work but that doesn't happen we can go back to shami, he averages 25 in Odis and was instrumental in 2015 WC.

Khaleel is superb addition ads variety to the attack, he can be a perfect 1st change  bowler, his left arm pace and aggression will help us to break through  long partnership in middle overs, handy in the death as well.

Also a 6 th bowler is lacking, somebody like k gowtham or k pandya can do that job 

In england I would go with 3 fastbowler one spin and pace bowling ar and one spinner 

1. Bhuvi

2. Bumrah

3. Khaleel

4. Pandya

5. Cooldeep

6. Krunal 

11 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Yes, it does look weak we have only one genuine wicket taker in bumra in English conditions, we need rejuvenated bhuvi back asap one who bowls in the 140+kph and lethal at the death with pin point yorkers, still has time he can work but that doesn't happen we can go back to shami, he averages 25 in Odis and was instrumental in 2015 WC.

Khaleel is superb addition ads variety to the attack, he can be a perfect 1st change  bowler, his left arm pace and aggression will help us to break through  long partnership in middle overs, handy in the death as well.

Also a 6 th bowler is lacking, somebody like k gowtham or k pandya can do that job 

In england I would go with 3 fastbowler one spin and pace bowling ar and one spinner 

1. Bhuvi

2. Bumrah

3. Khaleel

4. Pandya

5. Cooldeep

6. Krunal 

Our team management need to try Khaleel in actual matches.  Some foresight is needed here instead of reverting back to Shardul.

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Our team management need to try Khaleel in actual matches.  Some foresight is needed here instead of reverting back to Shardul.

Express bhai knowing the history of this tm and their reliance on experience chances of khaleel playing in the 11 ahead of thakoor are very very thin.

At the moment m just hoping somebody in tm with bright brain  comes out with the idea of playing left arm pace for veriety. :pray: 

In top fitness, bowling is our strength. The currently weaker link Bhuvi for instance was jolly good in CT. Even if he's off color, Shami & Yadav have staked their claim in the odi team. Bumrah & the 2 wristies pick themselves thus far. Only Pandya or the fifth bowler is a question mark, so not a bad scheme of things in any world.

I think people have forgotten our bowling struggles of the past and are keen on permanently tweaking this unit while the main problem is batting, top order heavy and that too loses the plot when a hint of seam/swing is available.

We always went with 4 bowlers earlier, although 2 new balls changed the universe. This 6th bowling option is frankly hard to find, if 5 bowlers can't finish 50 overs the 6th one is as much of a gamble.

Edited by Clarke

Shami has to be in the scheme of things and hopefully a left arm pacer like khaleel strikes gold before the wc. 

I am tempted to play gopal instead of chahal. In some conditions we have to sit out one spinner most likely chahal and play in an extra seamer so need sone good backup seamers unlike mugs like shardul