Why chasing in 4th innings is so difficult in test cricket?

Austin 3:!6

8 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

I mean 245 is a walk in the park in white ball cricket. Hell 245 is even scored in T20s and Rohit Sharma alone has 260 odd score.

But in test cricket India chased anything over 240 just 3 times in entire history, can you believe it? Why is there such a drastic difference? Does players need to change their mindset and go more into ODI mode while chasing in test cricket? How can batting in 4th innings be improved?

Congrats! U have something in common with some of our cricket leadership & selectors not being able to distinguish between white & red ball cricket. 

Watch the highlights below on how white ball cricket used to be in diff conditions and probably diff ball as well.

Other uncles on the forum who watched in 90s and before also pitch in for the IPL generation who thinks Rashid ~ Warne and IPL is the pro game and previous generations were amateurs.

7 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Think we need to change our approach. With defensive technique we are losing anyway. From next time, just go after the bowling (aka Sehwag), field will spread and it will become easier.

Yesss, hammer that trundler Anderson to oblivion. He'll retire out of shame before he overtakes McGrath.

Edited by Clarke

In form/main bowlers bowl long spells, no over restrictions.

Wear and tear on wicket, some keep low and some take off, roughs, craters....

More catching positions.

Test balls stays new for longer.

Relaxed wide, bouncer rules...bowler has more tools to work with.

More media/public backlash if batsman gets out being adventurous....pressure to go about it in a certain traditional way.

Edited by Gollum
24 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

It’s mindset. You have Warner or Sehwag in there. They can change the mindset completely. Treat it like a chase

Come on, ur one of the saner ones. Anderson Broad Stokes are spewing venom and it's hard to get bat to ball and so we gotta attack ?

1 minute ago, Clarke said:

Come on, ur one of the saner ones. Anderson Broad Stokes are spewing venom and it's hard to get bat to ball and so we gotta attack ?

They can attack and will be dismissed for 120 in 30 overs just like we have seen so many time in ODIs.

Moreover, forget such conditions, if there is simple slow track batsmen struggle to get to 220-240 even in ODIs. Swing and turn often leads to sub-200 totals for IPL giants.

Modern ODI cricket is a joke, T20 isn't even cricket. When there was balance between bat and ball in ODIs, chasing was almost always tougher. Check the ODI record of all teams till 2002-03...all had a better record when setting a target. There was a period of almost 10 years where we didn't win a single match against ATG Australia chasing...even the moderate totals, Murali Karthik broke that streak in Mumbai 2007 IIRC. 1975-1992, all WC finals were won by 1st batting side, that is why Arjuna's boys earned so much respect for that WC win...came against McWarne while chasing in a WC F, and then people forget about Aravinda when singing paeans about Sachin-Lara. 

36 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

I mean 245 is a walk in the park in white ball cricket. Hell 245 is even scored in T20s and Rohit Sharma alone has 260 odd score.

But in test cricket India chased anything over 240 just 3 times in entire history, can you believe it? Why is there such a drastic difference? Does players need to change their mindset and go more into ODI mode while chasing in test cricket? How can batting in 4th innings be improved?

On those tracks test teams score 500-700 runs.

11 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Now I am not saying it’s easy. But you have to do something to put the bowler off. Frankly had one of them even charged, that would have sent message to opposition. 

I also dont don’t think this pitch is that difficult. Definitely seen worse. 

Just now, ravishingravi said:

Now I am not saying it’s easy. But you have to do something to put the bowler off. Frankly had one of them even charged, that would have sent message to opposition. 

I also dont don’t think this pitch is that difficult. Definitely seen worse. 

Not everyone can put the bowler off. Maybe in the future Shaw can from what I read on cricinfo. Only Kohli is capable of that in the current team. Mental stuff is jack squat without top notch skills. This is test cricket, not chess.

The pitch offers something for the new ball and gets easier later, so it makes sense to fight it out. 

2 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Not everyone can put the bowler off. Maybe in the future Shaw can from what I read on cricinfo. Only Kohli is capable of that in the current team. Mental stuff is jack squat without top notch skills. This is test cricket, not chess.

The pitch offers something for the new ball and gets easier later, so it makes sense to fight it out. 

I agree. But let’s look at the players. Rahul or Dhawan. Did they have a chance to survive ? Not really. It was always a matter of time. 

If I was Shastri ( let me gulp that old monk first ) , I would have told Dhawan and Rahul to attack. Getting out LBW or caught for 10 or scoring 25 with miscues, I know what I would prefer. 

20 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

I agree. But let’s look at the players. Rahul or Dhawan. Did they have a chance to survive ? Not really. It was always a matter of time. 

If I was Shastri ( let me gulp that old monk first ) , I would have told Dhawan and Rahul to attack. Getting out LBW or caught for 10 or scoring 25 with miscues, I know what I would prefer. 

To be honest, it won't make any difference. They could get out on 0 as well. Dhawan actually was proactively looking for opportunities and maybe Rahul was as well. Look at what they're facing, 2 of England's atgs on their type of territory. Approach can't change anything in such cases without world class ability, defensive or attacking. If one can't gain a solid defense overnight, nor can one become a Richards or Ponting by some mental spice to take on very good swing bowling.

1) Pitch deterioration

2) No 10-over limit for bowlers in Tests unlike LOI. You are consistently facing the opposition's best.    

3) Scoreboard pressure is a real thing. It's not just India, but every team struggles chasing anything excess of 200+ in Test cricket. And test matches already have more sporty pitches than LOI (which generally tend to be roads). Making it that much more difficult to chase.

It's all about freaking commies behind the com box yelling like 5th day chase is difficult, history says this/that, blah blah blah. Those jokers have given negative insight to fans as well as players chasing on day 5 is very difficult. Its all about being positive and mentally strong and discard fake rumors.

Do you guys remember how we chased 300 in 50 odd overs in a couple of sessions on day 5 in UAE against SL in 2013 series? SL were 1-0 up and we had nothing to lose. We played positive aggressive cricket and let alone rumors. We were able to level the series 1-1 finally. No body thought test cricket became this much of aggressive where we maintained run rate as 5.2 per over. Bechara herath was wicketless.:cantstop:

Edited by Lala