Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ThePhenomenal1

Play KL Rahul at 5

Recommended Posts

Its time to stop kl rahul opening.

 

Put him at 5, let him play the older ball and we keep him as a slip catcher which we need right now.

 

Shaw and Pujara to open. Not a demotion for pujara as we need him to block and build an innings from one end.

 

Rahane at 3 could work as well. Rahane responded well today to a relatively newish ball. We need to make big changes because the current approach isn't working.

 

Our test batting core is Kohli, pujara and rahane so this puts them at the top to face the most number of deliveries.

 

Pujara (need his spin as part time)

Shaw

Rahane

Kohli

Rahul

Pant

Jadeja

Pandya

Ishant/Bhuvi

Shami

Bumrah

Edited by ThePhenomenal1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, ThePhenomenal1 said:

Its time to stop kl rahul opening.

 

Put him at 5, let him play the older ball and we keep him as a slip catcher which we need right now.

 

Shaw and Pujara to open. Not a demotion for pujara as we need him to block and build an innings from one end.

 

Rahane at 3 could work as well. Rahane responded well today to a relatively newish ball. We need to make big changes because the current approach isn't working.

 

Our test batting core is Kohli, pujara and rahane so this puts them at the top to face the most number of deliveries.

 

Pujara

Shaw

Rahane

Kohli

Rahul

Nair (does he bowl spin too?)

Jadeja

Pandya

Ishant/Bhuvi

Shami

Bumrah

Nice team, might need a guy behind the stumps though...

Share this post


Link to post

There were people saying Rahul wasn't getting picked coz Kohli was jealous of him.. Lmao... What he can or might achieve in future is another debate, as of now  it's a sin to even put his name along side Kohli. 

Edited by OpeningBatsman

Share this post


Link to post

He needs to be dropped.Both Pandya and Rahul come across as wannabe Kohlis minus the work ethic it seems( though I may be wrong).

Rahul needs to find a way to succeed in all formats,which is hampering him at the moment.His stocks have fallen considerably.To be honest he has been worse than Dhawan.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not long back I read on ICF how Rahul is a direct competitor of Kohli and on par with him as a batsman. 

For now Rahul has to be dropped.. He needs to sort out his technique against the incoming ball. 

 

Rahul is having a similar performance compared to what Kohli went through in his Eng outing in 2010 & 2014 

 

ps: Also read that this is Rahuls first experience in Eng (never played club cricket in Eng too). That is disastrous for an opening bat

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Lets fly in Dhoni... Oh wait we already have 2 retirement home members in DK and Pappu waiting in the wings. Line me lago Tony Bhai

actually he should have retired from t20 and played tests and ODI.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not long back I read on ICF how Rahul is a direct competitor of Kohli and on par with him as a batsman. 

potential to be on par. which he still has, he could come back next season and score well here, like Kohli did. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, diga said:

For now Rahul has to be dropped.. He needs to sort out his technique against the incoming ball. 

 

Rahul is having a similar performance compared to what Kohli went through in his Eng outing in 2010 & 2014 

 

ps: Also read that this is Rahuls first experience in Eng (never played club cricket in Eng too). That is disastrous for an opening bat

 

 

I dont remember Kohli playing in test matches in England in 2011. His first major test was in 2011 against West Indies and he failed massively. Went back and fixed his game. Before that he was already lighting up the ODI format scoring runs everywhere consistently. Especially standing up outside India where most were failing to deliver, unloke Rahul who has been hot and xold in every format. 

Kohli's next big test ce in Australia where he stood up and didnt look back ever since other than 2014 n England. 

 

It is nothing short of fanboyism based on region or culture he belongs to from some of the posters over here. He is a stroke maker, has the potential to be a top ODI player if he stays consistent. Dorsnt have a texhnique to deliver in test cricket in testing conditions. Could be the same if ODis are played in testing conditions as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Vilander said:

potential to be on par. which he still has, he could come back next season and score well here, like Kohli did. 

Its not like he has failed only in England. I fail to remember him having Kohli'sque performances in any format upto 2014 what Kohli was. 

 

Abroad ? One hundred in Australia thats what I can remember of. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Its not like he has failed only in England. I fail to remember him having Kohli'sque performances in any format upto 2014 what Kohli was. 

 

Abroad ? One hundred in Australia thats what I can remember of. 

he played very well at home had a long string of very fine performances - he has certain weakness that he needs to work on not unseen in the past - cant write him off but surely he needs to move out of opening slot.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Vilander said:

he played very well at home had a long string of very fine performances - he has certain weakness that he needs to work on not unseen in the past - cant write him off but surely he needs to move out of opening slot.

Home performances doesnt count when you are genuinely trying to figure out if the batsman has the technique to fight it out abroad.  Karun Nair has a daddy hundred FFS. Would be a headless chicken where the ball moves around..

Edited by Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Andy said:

Home performances doesnt count.. Karun Nair has a daddy hundred FFS. Would be a headless chicken where the ball moves around..

cant say that

 

Rahul has a 199 and string of 9 consecutive 50+ score many against touring Aus side when everyone else including Kohli struggled. So its not straight forward as you put it, he is definitely having an issue with incoming delivery but he is extremely good at home. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Vilander said:

cant say that

 

Rahul has a 199 and string of 9 consecutive 50+ score many against touring Aus side when everyone else including Kohli struggled. So its not straight forward as you put it, he is definitely having an issue with incoming delivery but he is extremely good at home. 

The players that struggled and have still performed abroad I am not concerned about them as they are still capable of handling the moving ball. They are proven. The conditions in India doesnt make a difference as it dors when we play outside hence no matter even if you score 100 tons in India, you still do not assure you have the ability to do outside like Kohli has. Its more like a home track bully. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Andy said:

The players that struggled and have still performed abroad I am not concerned about them as they are still capable of handling the moving ball. They are proven. The conditions in India doesnt make a difference as it dors when we play outside hence no matter even if you score 100 tons in India, you still do not assure you have the ability to do outside like Kohli has. Its more like a home track bully. 

test are played in all conditions, one condition is not superior or inferior to other. So yeah KL good in india , poor so far in England. Cant read more than that he needs to drop out of opening slot and work on his game. We can agree to disagree.  not interested in continuing this, responding out of courtesy. 

Share this post


Link to post

He is an opener. Team management have already messed up with his technique batting him in where ever they want. But still no openers did well in this series, that should tell you how hard it is to bat in these conditions. It's upto team management that if they want to retain a talent like him or if they want to go back to scrappers like Dhawan and many more we find in domestics. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for your discussions, i was thinking we have a really good slip catcher in him and while the others improve in that field we can bat him at 5 against the older ball.

 

but maybe it is best if he works on his game and comes back.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×