A series is not always defined by the scorecard - Virat Kohli

sarcastic

He's not totally wrong. This series has been fantastic, barring the 2nd test which was an abomination. How close the 1st and 4th tests were and how agonizing the defeats were were great advertisements for Test cricket.

Even though the series line is 3-1, it is nothing like the last two tours of 4-0 or 3-1. That doesn't mean there isn't room to improve, but we are close, IMO. 

That said, Kohli needs to work on finding new openers and needs to work on his on field captaincy. If bowlers are proving ineffective, he needs to be more proactive and change them. Also being a supposed good captain for fast bowlers, he sure didn't trust them when he needed to. Instead we got Ashwin's nonsense, over after over. 

Yada yada yada...

Its a results business and have lost the series, as happened in South Africa and is likely to happen in Australia. This is not exactly a young team as most of them have been on previous tours so positive results should be expected. 

What makes it really depressing is that this was a pretty weak Eng that were there for the taking. Unlikely that such an opportunity will present itself on the next Eng tour. 

Satiya gaya hai. Series is not decided by scorecard. :facepalm: 

So it's decided by who has the whitest clothes, who has tied shoe laces well, who has the best branded bat. Typical of government culture. Attendance lagao salary lo. Whether the top line or bottom line was met is useless for them. Similarly who cares for the results. It's the trait of losers. When one cannot meet the goals, the goal posts are changed.

During 2014 we had weaker team than this side also captain wasn't aggressive (according to some people) and still we were in series while playing 5th test here our captain kohli (100 times more aggressive) with like twice better side with very good bowling attack has failed against a pretty avg england side which has so many flaws. Arrogant captain deserves this series loss for what he did with anil kumble.

I haven't seen the press conference so I'm not sure what he means exactly. One interpretation that I will agree with is that the 3-1 scoreline does not indicate the competitive nature of at least 2 tests.

And yes, I certainly hope he does not mean "as long as process ..". I will also pick Virat over Dhoni hundred times out of hundred when it comes to test captaincy. Despite his faults, he looks to have the fire in his belly, his performances & involvement in the game speak it out loud. Dhoni was the complete opposite. Its not like I support expressive or emotional captaincy, as a long time Dravid fan I don't think its necessary. But Dhoni just seemed too casual in every way to my eye & Virat is an improvement, hopefully still in the works.

1 hour ago, Tibarn said:

He's not totally wrong. This series has been fantastic, barring the 2nd test which was an abomination. How close the 1st and 4th tests were and how agonizing the defeats were were great advertisements for Test cricket.

Even though the series line is 3-1, it is nothing like the last two tours of 4-0 or 3-1. That doesn't mean there isn't room to improve, but we are close, IMO. 

That said, Kohli needs to work on finding new openers and needs to work on his on field captaincy. If bowlers are proving ineffective, he needs to be more proactive and change them. Also being a supposed good captain for fast bowlers, he sure didn't trust them when he needed to. Instead we got Ashwin's nonsense, over after over. 

You wrong. openers were fine.  Our problem was 5, 6, 7.   No opener is going to change the games in these conditions.  Our openers scored more than England. some 50 plus partnerships as well.  We need to work on batting of our 5, 6, 7, 8.  In these conditions, it is these numbers that make a difference.