Former India pacer R P Singh retires

Switchblade

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

@express bowling @Rightarmfast

Had so much talent and raw pace...

I have always said that post Srinath, we have always had some good genuine quicks. The rise of Agarkar changed the scene totally. Zaheer, Nehra, Munaf .. Sreesanth and RP. And I have mentioned before that for a few seasons, RP Singh was bowling express, having touched close to 149 on multiple occassion.

People still say that India has started having genuine quicks now. The fact is, we have good quick bowlers since 90's. They were handled poorly. 

Similarly, for RP Singh, A) he was a chamcha of Dhoni, B) he was bowling under the captaincy of DHoni. I believe under Ganguly, he would have blossomed even more. Having said that, RP Singh was a bowler with limited talents. And we can't say he didnt do justice to whatever little talent he had.

4 hours ago, MechEng said:

@express bowling @Rightarmfast

Had so much talent and raw pace...

Both RP and Sreesanth were bowling upto 147 k to 149 k in a particular year ... perhaps 2007.

Additionally, RP was a bouncy pacer with a high arm action ... and could swing the ball too.

Problem was ... both these guys could not sustaintain these speeds for more than a couple of years.

I was at Trent bridge in 2007 when him and Zaheer had the England batsmen in knots. He got KP with a Jaffa. Vaughan scored a good century that day.

At his best he was a very good bowler. He should have made more of it .

For a brief period it looked like he had good pace bowling stocks in that time with him, Sree Santh, Zaheer, Munaf I think even Irfan was still going in ODIs. Didn't last long

3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

People still say that India has started having genuine quicks now. The fact is, we have good quick bowlers since 90's. They were handled poorly. 

Srinath was a genuine fast bowler ... and express for atleast 3 years. He sustained high speeds in almost every spell till 1997 and bowled quickly from 1991 to 2000.

We had quite a few fast bowlers in the 2000s decade. But they could not sustain high speeds for more than a couple of years.  

From 2011 ...  Umesh and Aaron have been always quick.  Never bowled a spell which is less than fast medium ... while bowling upto 150 k to 152 k for 6 years.

From 2015 ...  almost all Indian fast bowler are sustaining high speeds in every format and every spell.

This is the biggest difference between our 2000s fast bowlers and our  2010s fast bowlers IMHO.

From the information I could gather ... much improved strength and conditioning training has been the biggest factor for this.  Infrastructure at the NCA has improved a lot and lots of good quality trainers and fitness coaches are being used nowadays both for our national team and state teams.

Edited by express bowling
14 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Srinath was a genuine fast bowler ... and express for atleast 3 years. He sustained high speeds in almost every spell till 1997 and bowled quickly from 1991 to 2000.

We had quite a few fast bowlers in the 2000s decade. But they could not sustain high speeds for more than a couple of years.  

From 2011 ...  Umesh and Aaron have been always quick.  Never bowled a spell which is less than fast medium ... while bowling upto 150 k to 152 k for 6 years.

From 2015 ...  almost all Indian fast bowler are sustaining high speeds in every format and every spell.

This is the biggest difference between our 2000s fast bowlers and our  2010s fast bowlers IMHO.

From the information I could gather ... much improved strength and conditioning training has been the biggest factor for this.  Infrastructure at the NCA has improved a lot and lots of good quality trainers and fitness coaches are being used nowadays both for our national team and state teams.

When I said that the previous set of bowlers were handled poorly, thats what I meant. However, bowlers like Razdan, Salil Ankola, Atul Wassan etc were handled poorly, were not given enough chances. These bowlers had enough pace too. Atleast around 140's. 

So, we really cant say whether they would have lost pace after some time or not. 

As far as the bowlers of today maintaining pace, I believe more than anything, its the mindset that affects the pace. The players of today want to bowl fast. The general outlook towards fast bowling has changed and viewers adore genuine quicks, post Shoaib Akhtar. And that is one of the major influencers why we have bowlers maintaining pace. Having better facilities looking after the fast bowlers is the byproduct of this cycle. 

So, I do not subscribe totally to your idea of bowlers maintaining pace due to better support staff. I genuinely believe that the quick bowlers now want to bowl fast ( And you can see them saying the same thing in their interviews, unlike quick bowlers of the past who always spoke about line and length ), and hence they are maintaining pace.