Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Switchblade

Shane Watson predicts fate of Indian batting in upcoming Australia tour

Recommended Posts

Quote

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/shane-watson-predicts-fate-of-indian-batting-in-upcoming-australia-tour/story-C6TJojwmtZr7i2r5CtSv4O.html

 

“It is not easy to play swing bowling. Trust me when Australia travel to England for Ashes next year, it won’t be easy for them also. England is the only place where the ball swings that much primarily due to conditions. You just can’t land in England once every three years and be successful,” Watson told PTI during an interaction.

 

“Look, if you check records, Indian batsmen of late have done well in Australia. Virat has scored loads of runs and I remember a fine century by (KL) Rahul at the SCG. Even Rahane scored a few runs,” Watson, who played 59 Tests, 190 ODIs and 58 T20Is for his country, said.

 

“In Australia, the kookaburra will stop swinging after first 10 or may be 15 overs unlike Dukes which can swing all day. I don’t think bounce would be that much of a problem.”

 

“I don’t think any international team is playing swing bowling well these days and that is reflective in the performance on overseas performance,” said Watson.

 

“Look at Shane Warne’s track record. He got wickets all around the world and knew how to bowl on Day 4 and 5 tracks. Ditto for Lyon or Moeen, who know how to make best use of fourth and fifth day track,” said Watson.

 

“The biggest challenge for Australia will be to post big scores in the absence of Warner and Smith. These two were instrumental in Australia getting big scores. Like Tim Paine is a capable man of leading Australia. He has the requisite leadership qualities but I am more concerned about the batting than captaincy,” the 37-year-old said.

 

“Usman Khawaja is a phenomenal player and I believe now he will be given a long rope. I am hoping that he will do well and expect him to take a lot of responsibility. He has just scored a fine hundred against India A (in Bengaluru). Apart from Usman, I would love to see Shaun and Mitch Marsh do well against India,” he said.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Aus will be when this team turns around the corner and wins an away series. Pace bowling will be absolutely must watch from both sides. If Eng series was amazing in terms of skills on display, i am expecting this one to be amazing in terms of combative environment - both teams will have a reason to play hard - but aus will start with reduced expectations with Smit/Warner are not playing. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Vilander said:

Aus will be when this team turns around the corner and wins an away series. Pace bowling will be absolutely must watch from both sides. If Eng series was amazing in terms of skills on display, i am expecting this one to be amazing in terms of combative environment - both teams will have a reason to play hard - but aus will start with reduced expectations with Smit/Warner are not playing. 

i wish i have your optimism.. its just that the passion that you have as a fan the players dont seem to have sans few .. there needs to be a complete mindset change within locker room. when you have an chaltha hai attitude upon losses like kohli imagine how the team will feel.. 

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty sensible comments there actually. He is right about not easy for visiting batsmen to do well in England where ball swings all day compared to Australia. He knows what he is talkng and is concerned for Australia that same guys like Rahul who struggled in England might not struggle in Australia since they can deal with the bounce which is more of challenge than swing in Aus.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Nikola said:

Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood & Lyon will run through this indian side. 

In the absence of Smith & Warner, we have a better chance ... If the pitches are like the last time, we should be much more competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, GolGappe said:

This. Australian tour is the toughest SENA tour for any touring side. These guys won't give an inch to India.

If smith and warner were available i would have bet for whitewash in aus but there is chance to win some matches now with their batting so weak.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dandaroy said:

No worries Stark and co will clean us up and light a fire under Shastri auss, if he is still there!!

Starc, Pattison, Cummins are all injured not sure if they will be fit by the time India get here.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Hydra said:

Starc, Pattison, Cummins are all injured not sure if they will be fit by the time India get here.

nah you will see them getting all fit before test series. Manjrekar will say monster has woken up from injury.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Nikola said:

nah you will see them getting all fit before test series. Manjrekar will say monster has woken up from injury.

If you guys can't win now in Australia when we are decimated in our batting and our bowling then India really is a **** team.

Edited by Hydra

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Hydra said:

If you guys can't win now in Australia when we are decimated in our batting and our bowling then India really is a **** team.

Aus might be most toughest place to win for Asian sides cause pitches are highway most of times and bowlers can't really get aussies for cheap. This might turn if Australian batting doesn't do well this summer. I hope it's really competitive series from both side though.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Aus might be most toughest place to win for Asian sides cause pitches are highway most of times and bowlers can't really get aussies for cheap. This might turn if Australian batting doesn't do well this summer. I hope it's really competitive series from both side though.

Yeah, our pitches are ****, but lately, we have been making some fast, green pitches, we will see in the summer if our pitches have improved. Ten, 20 years ago our pitches were awesome offered something for everyone now they are just dead and flat as a pancake.

Edited by Hydra

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Hydra said:

Yeah, our pitches are ****, but lately, we have been making some fast, green pitches, we will see in the summer if our pitches have improved. Ten, 20 years ago our pitches were awesome offered something for everyone now they are just dead and flat as a pancake.

Doubt they will make green pitches. Aus has bowler to get indian batsman out but if indian bowlers get green top against this weak batting lineup then we might win matches and series eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Doubt they will make green pitches. Aus has bowler to get indian batsman out but if indian bowlers get green top against this weak batting lineup then we might win matches and series eventually. 

Like I said India have a good chance to beat us at home now, our batting and bowling has been decimated and if India can't win now they never will. India has never won in Australia or SA and struggles in other countries as well, I don't think India is mentally strong, a bunch of individuals who aren't really that talented except for one or two like Kohli who is elite.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, mishra said:

India will select a team of players with "Intent" in first 2 match. Once series is out of reach, They will make changes, PR machinery will say, instead of looking at "series" and  "scoreline", look at the "character".

 

 

Emotional posts by Dhawan and few others on Instagram will be at full display too.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Hydra said:

Starc, Pattison, Cummins are all injured not sure if they will be fit by the time India get here.

Nah, even the second string bowlers are enough for this miserable bunch. Only Kohli will score in bunches and you will see occassional flashes from Rahane and Pujara :sad:

Edited by dandaroy

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, dandaroy said:

Nah, even the second string bowlers are enough for this miserable bunch. Only Kohli will score in bunches and you will see occassional flashes from Rahane and Pujara :sad:

This is Indias best chance to do something over here, two best batsmen in the world banned, injuries to our best fast bowlers like I said if India can't win now they are weak.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Hydra said:

. India has never won in Australia or SA and struggles in other countries as well, I don't think India is mentally strong, a bunch of individuals who aren't really that talented except for one or two like Kohli who is elite.

 

India has never won in Australia or SA because we did not have a good group of pace bowlers till 2015. 

 

Mental strength has never been a problem ... proven by 2 World Cup wins and 3 or 4 other ICC tournament wins too.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Hydra said:

This is Indias best chance to do something over here, two best batsmen in the world banned, injuries to our best fast bowlers like I said if India can't win now they are weak.

They ARE weak, any question about it??

Share this post


Link to post

I would say absence of Smith and Warner has made it an equal battle.  Aus is playing at home and they are not weak even if they dont have Warner and Smith.  Like we were not weak when Kohli flopped against Aus at home and also had to sit out due to injury.  No top team at home can be called weak.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, dandaroy said:

They ARE weak, any question about it??

 

I don't think this test team is weak.  

 

They are not preparing properly for away tours ... no practice match in SA ... only 1 in England and that too was reduced by us.

 

I don't think teams all over the world are  that serious about test matches any more and 6 to 7 players just focus on T20 leagues or rue the fact that they are not a part of any.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×