Rahul Dravid had agreed to become India’s batting consultant before chat with Ravi Shastri: Sourav Ganguly

Switchblade

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/rahul-dravid-had-agreed-to-become-india-s-batting-consultant-before-chat-with-ravi-shastri-sourav-ganguly/story-I5ou1oTO6rJU00tauMm9PO.html

“Rahul Dravid had been asked to become a batting consultant and he had even agreed. But then he spoke to Ravi and I don’t know what happened after that. The Committee of Administrators also had added to the confusion with the coach selection and we were tired and just got out of it. So it’s difficult for me to say why Rahul Dravid did not become the batting consultant. But if Ravi Shastri was given the responsibility, after consulting Virat Kohli, then he has to fulfil that responsibility and improve the team,” Ganguly said.

“Anil Kumble had a one-year contract. It had no renewal or extension clause. When the CoA took over, we got to know a month later that his contract was expiring and we followed the protocol that was followed during his appointment. The idea was to select the head coach by the CAC — comprising of Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman. Transparency requires you to follow a process and the due process throws up a result.

“The CAC was the entrusted body and they did what they felt was best. It wasn’t an unceremonious exit as his contract was only for a year. We made no statements on Zaheer Khan or Rahul Dravid’s appointments. Our job was to select the head coach through the due process,” he clarified.

Ganguly can now say as much as he wants to but he and the COA are at fault for appointing Shastri as a coach.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/rahul-dravid-had-agreed-to-become-india-s-batting-consultant-before-chat-with-ravi-shastri-sourav-ganguly/story-I5ou1oTO6rJU00tauMm9PO.html

“Rahul Dravid had been asked to become a batting consultant and he had even agreed. But then he spoke to Ravi and I don’t know what happened after that. The Committee of Administrators also had added to the confusion with the coach selection and we were tired and just got out of it. So it’s difficult for me to say why Rahul Dravid did not become the batting consultant. But if Ravi Shastri was given the responsibility, after consulting Virat Kohli, then he has to fulfil that responsibility and improve the team,” Ganguly said.

“Anil Kumble had a one-year contract. It had no renewal or extension clause. When the CoA took over, we got to know a month later that his contract was expiring and we followed the protocol that was followed during his appointment. The idea was to select the head coach by the CAC — comprising of Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman. Transparency requires you to follow a process and the due process throws up a result.

“The CAC was the entrusted body and they did what they felt was best. It wasn’t an unceremonious exit as his contract was only for a year. We made no statements on Zaheer Khan or Rahul Dravid’s appointments. Our job was to select the head coach through the due process,” he clarified.

Ganguly can now say as much as he wants to but he and the COA are at fault for appointing Shastri as a coach.
Kohli Wanted Shastri.
8 minutes ago, CG said:

Kohli Wanted Shastri.

I wonder why anyone would want bevda? He neither has any coaching credentials nor was he a tracer bullet during his playing days. A 40 runs off 110 balls kind of momentum sucker in ODIs.

Kohli might have been high on some quality charas when he actually said he wanted Shastri.

Edited by motomaverick
1 minute ago, motomaverick said:

I wonder why anyone would want bevda? He neither has any coaching credentials nor was he a tracer bullet during his playing days. A 40 runs off 110 balls kind of momentum sucker in ODIs.

Kohli might have been high on some quality charas when he actually said he wanted Shastri.

He boosted the superstars ego so players wanted him.

What's the point now?

It is like as if Ganguly was waiting for this to happen.As if he is more concerned about Shashtri' failure more than team India's failure.

It is exactly similar to ex players dissing Greg Chappell for his ill treatment towards Ganguly in their respective documentaries and interviews after 10 years of real event.

There is no point in that.If you can influence and change something,be a man and stop something it from happening rather than coming up with past excuses..

For now we are stuck with that Bevada and I can't see one series loss changing something.

6 hours ago, Switchblade said:

Ganguly is in very bad terms with Shastri.  Laxman did not want Shastri either.  Tendulkar is a strong supporter of Shastri.

According to reports at that time, when Kumble was appointed, it was  2 : 1  with Ganguly and Laxman supporting.

Second time round, according to reports,  these two gave in to Tendulkar as they have had their way last time round.  Plus ...  Kohli was strongly supporting Shastri too.

Yes ... there is no point saying this now ...  but there is a lot of politics and groupbazi involved from everyone concerned.  And it won't change a bit if 3 new guys are appointed for selecting a new coach.  

On 9/5/2018 at 7:23 PM, wanted_desi said:

Can someone ask Sachin question that why did he feel need to ask Shahstri to apply and accept his conditions that he will only apply if he is certain to get the job?

Can some post even one article which shows that Shastri was selected because of Sachin's backing? I haven't read any!

https://goo.gl/Dfgskx

Ravi Shastri named Indian cricket team’s head coach, Zaheer Khan bowling coach

Ravi Shastri has been appointed as Indian cricket team’s head coach. Zaheer Khan has been named the bowling coach while Rahul Dravid will serve as batting consultant for overseas Test tours.

CRICKET Updated: Jul 11, 2017 23:16 IST
Ravi Shastri,Zaheer Khan,Indian Cricket Team
Ravi Shastri has been appointed as Indian cricket team’s head coach. Zaheer Khan is the new bowling coach. (AFP)
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Ravi Shastri was confirmed as India head coach after a 48-hour long drama late on Tuesday. Former India pacer Zaheer Khan will be the bowling coach while Rahul Dravid, who is also the India A and U-19 coach, will be batting consultant on overseas Test tours.

(Read | Ravi Shastri - Indian cricket team’s ultimate comeback man)

The term of the appointments will be till the World Cup 2019.

(Read | Why Ravi Shastri is better than Anil Kumble, reveals Indian cricket team insider)

The confirmation is surprising as earlier in the day acting BCCI secretary Amitabh Choudhary had rubbished reports that claimed Shastri had been appointed coach. Choudhary had said the CAC was still deliberating and “until they apprise us of the decision, I cannot comment on this matter.”

(Read | Sourav Ganguly says Virat Kohli needs to understand how coaches operate)

This came a day after Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) member and former captain Sourav Ganguly sought more time to decide on the issue at a press conference at BCCI’s Cricket Centre in Mumbai originally scheduled to announce Anil Kumble’s successor.

(Read | Murky drama over Ravi Shastri as BCCI says no decision on Indian cricket team coach yet)

As candidates, Virender Sehwag and Tom Moody had strong backing and credentials going into Monday’s meeting before the press conference but it seems like Shastri’s comfortable rapport with India captain Virat Kohli has trumped all that.

b5z_etzB_bigger.jpg

UPDATE: @RaviShastriOfc appointed as the Head Coach of the Indian Cricket Team till ICC World Cup 2019

“Ravi Shastri has been the Team Director in the past, and brings with him a wealth of experience, both as player and as coach,” BCCI’s press release stated.

“Zaheer is a contemporary cricketer who assumed the mentoring role to a young fast bowling unit even during his playing days with India. His inputs will be of immense value to our young fast bowlers, who have shown tremendous potential in the last couple of years.

(Read | Ravi Shastri leads race to return as India cricket team coach)

“As the Indian team is to play Test cricket overseas in the next two years, Rahul Dravid’s expertise as batting consultant will be immensely helpful for youngsters.

“The Board appreciates the contribution of the Cricket Advisory Committee – Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman for recommending these appointments which will take Indian Cricket to greater heights.”

Initially, Shastri had not applied for the post but when the BCCI extended the deadline for applications till July 9 , the former skipper jumped into the fray and became the hot favourite.

(Read | Highlights – India cricket team coach: Ravi Shastri, Virender Sehwag interviewed but decision on hold)

India were without a head coach after Anil Kumble withdrew from the application process post the Champions Trophy, citing his relationship with the skipper as ‘untenable’.

Ravi Shastri was Indian cricket’s team director from their tour of England in 2014 to the 2016 ICC World T20, where India lost to eventual champions West Indies in the semi-final.

Shastri – a veteran of 80 Tests and 150 ODIs – was also team India’s manager during their Bangladesh tour in 2007.

4 minutes ago, Chandan said:

Can some post even one article which shows that Shastri was selected because of Sachin's backing? I haven't read any!

https://goo.gl/Dfgskx

Ravi Shastri named Indian cricket team’s head coach, Zaheer Khan bowling coach

Ravi Shastri has been appointed as Indian cricket team’s head coach. Zaheer Khan has been named the bowling coach while Rahul Dravid will serve as batting consultant for overseas Test tours.

CRICKET Updated: Jul 11, 2017 23:16 IST
Ravi Shastri,Zaheer Khan,Indian Cricket Team
Ravi Shastri has been appointed as Indian cricket team’s head coach. Zaheer Khan is the new bowling coach. (AFP)
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Ravi Shastri was confirmed as India head coach after a 48-hour long drama late on Tuesday. Former India pacer Zaheer Khan will be the bowling coach while Rahul Dravid, who is also the India A and U-19 coach, will be batting consultant on overseas Test tours.

(Read | Ravi Shastri - Indian cricket team’s ultimate comeback man)

The term of the appointments will be till the World Cup 2019.

(Read | Why Ravi Shastri is better than Anil Kumble, reveals Indian cricket team insider)

The confirmation is surprising as earlier in the day acting BCCI secretary Amitabh Choudhary had rubbished reports that claimed Shastri had been appointed coach. Choudhary had said the CAC was still deliberating and “until they apprise us of the decision, I cannot comment on this matter.”

(Read | Sourav Ganguly says Virat Kohli needs to understand how coaches operate)

This came a day after Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) member and former captain Sourav Ganguly sought more time to decide on the issue at a press conference at BCCI’s Cricket Centre in Mumbai originally scheduled to announce Anil Kumble’s successor.

(Read | Murky drama over Ravi Shastri as BCCI says no decision on Indian cricket team coach yet)

As candidates, Virender Sehwag and Tom Moody had strong backing and credentials going into Monday’s meeting before the press conference but it seems like Shastri’s comfortable rapport with India captain Virat Kohli has trumped all that.

b5z_etzB_bigger.jpg

UPDATE: @RaviShastriOfc appointed as the Head Coach of the Indian Cricket Team till ICC World Cup 2019

“Ravi Shastri has been the Team Director in the past, and brings with him a wealth of experience, both as player and as coach,” BCCI’s press release stated.

“Zaheer is a contemporary cricketer who assumed the mentoring role to a young fast bowling unit even during his playing days with India. His inputs will be of immense value to our young fast bowlers, who have shown tremendous potential in the last couple of years.

(Read | Ravi Shastri leads race to return as India cricket team coach)

“As the Indian team is to play Test cricket overseas in the next two years, Rahul Dravid’s expertise as batting consultant will be immensely helpful for youngsters.

“The Board appreciates the contribution of the Cricket Advisory Committee – Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman for recommending these appointments which will take Indian Cricket to greater heights.”

Initially, Shastri had not applied for the post but when the BCCI extended the deadline for applications till July 9 , the former skipper jumped into the fray and became the hot favourite.

(Read | Highlights – India cricket team coach: Ravi Shastri, Virender Sehwag interviewed but decision on hold)

India were without a head coach after Anil Kumble withdrew from the application process post the Champions Trophy, citing his relationship with the skipper as ‘untenable’.

Ravi Shastri was Indian cricket’s team director from their tour of England in 2014 to the 2016 ICC World T20, where India lost to eventual champions West Indies in the semi-final.

Shastri – a veteran of 80 Tests and 150 ODIs – was also team India’s manager during their Bangladesh tour in 2007.

Dont you know its inside info that if anything bad happens in indian cricket its because of sachin and if anything good happens its because of dravid?

23 minutes ago, CSK Fan said:

Dont you know its inside info that if anything bad happens in indian cricket its because of sachin and if anything good happens its because of dravid?

Still I've read it a number of times on ICF that Shastri got appointed only because he had Sachin's backing. I'd like to see where that information came from because I'm an avid follower and read closely. How did did I miss this news?

15 minutes ago, Chandan said:

Still I've read it a number of times on ICF that Shastri got appointed only because he had Sachin's backing. I'd like to see where that information came from because I'm an avid follower and read closely. How did did I miss this news?

There was an article about it at that time.  Shastri was not applying.  He was enjoying holidays.  he talked to SRT about it and once he got the assurance, he applied.

On 9/5/2018 at 7:23 PM, wanted_desi said:

Can someone ask Sachin question that why did he feel need to ask Shahstri to apply and accept his conditions that he will only apply if he is certain to get the job?

Said that before, saying it again. The behaviour of Tendulkar amounts to conflict of interest. When you are a part of the panel which decides the selection, how can you ask someone to apply and assure them of getting the job? How can you even ask on the first place? 

It's so easy to get away in India.