No other Indian team in last 15-20 years has had the same run as this one - Shastri

wanted_desi

Talking like a true Loser!

Hot selection, self belief, mental toughness, being aware. A Ravi Shastri press conference is usually brimming with headlines, and two days before the final India-England Test, it was no different.

The India coach did not hide his disappointment at his side not crossing the finish line in the ongoing series against England, but did jump to the team's defence by stating that there was no other Indian team that had won so often overseas in the last 15-20 years as the current had done. Those series in question came against Sri Lanka (twice) and West Indies - teams India were expected to beat anyway.

India did win those three series, apart from also winning one Test each in South Africa and England, but the worrying factor remains their non-wins in SENA countries. India's last series win in those countries came back in 2009 when they had defeated New Zealand 1-0 in a three-match series.

Under Virat Kohli, however, India have shown that they have become more competitive. They have run both South Africa and England close, but have failed to cross the finish line - something that has left Shastri with a headache.

Speaking at the press conference, Shastri laid out a number of things that seem to dog India when it came to seizing the initiative.

"I think you have got to get tough mentally," Shastri started. "We have run teams close overseas and we have competed. But now it's not about competing. We have to win games from here. Now the endeavour is to understand where you made the mistakes and take it head on and try to correct it. Fact of the matter is you had a chance.

"The scoreline says 3-1 which means India have lost the series, what the scoreline doesn't say that India could have been 3-1 or it could have been 2-2. And my team knows it. They would have hurt and rightly so after the last game. But this is a team that will not throw in the towel. It will come out there and look to compete and not be on the first flight home, and that's exactly what we will do."

Not surprisingly, the theme of the interaction with the press revolved around India's failure in crossing the proverbial line, in Edgabston and Southampton. Shastri picked a new chink that needed to be fixed every time. It showed not only India's struggle in closing out games, but also the number of factors that they needed to get right in order to do so.

"As far as crossing the line goes, you have to give credit to Moeen Ali there on the last day (in Southampton). To be honest, he bowled magnificently. As hard as our guys tried, England were one-up on us there. Nothing to take away (from them). The endeavour of this team is to travel well, compete and win. If you look at the last three years, we have won nine matches overseas and three series.

"I can't see any other Indian team in the last 15-20 years that has had the same run in such a short time, and you have had some great players playing in those series. So the promise is there, it is just about getting tougher mentally, you have got to hurt when you lose matches because that's when you look within and come out with the right kind of answers, to combat such situations and get past the finishing line. One day you will if you believe."

When asked again, Shastri said shot selection from his batsmen was a big let down, and said learning from that mistake will help India prosper.

"I think shot selection left a lot to be desired, we blew away a very good position straight away after Tea on day two (in Southampton). That's an area where you can tighten, be aware of what the team needs, being aware of the match situation, that will be a big help. I think that was crucial more than anything else.

"It's being aware of being in a good position and then capitalizing. And not doing something silly to open the door for the opposition, I thought at 180/4, there was a definite chance of a 75-80-run lead, and that would have been crucial. So that hurts."

At the Nets

As India chase a more respectable scoreline at the Kia Oval, the team looked like it might welcome a few changes. The pitch wore a dry, hard look and might be good for batting, with the spinners coming in later in the game. R Ashwin, India's big disappointment from the last game, did not bowl at all during the net sessions, instead spent time doing laps around the ground with strength and conditioning coach, Shankar Basu. Ravindra Jadeja, however, spent most of the time bowling at the batsmen, and even batted a bit towards the end.

The other mooted change - Prithvi Shaw for KL Rahul - looks unlikely, with Rahul batting ahead of the young right-hander and also coming back to bat again later in the day. Shaw just got one session, and had Shastri constantly egging him on from the side. The youngster then spent a while talking to the coach, who seemed to be speaking about Shaw's trigger back foot movement that had him in a tangle on more than a couple of occasions.

© Cricbuzz

1 minute ago, wanted_desi said:

Series is long gone, hope we get a reality check in last test match. I want to read scoreline 1-4. Would have loved 0-5 to get some changes made for next series. 

2-3 will be very dangerous for us as it would encourage the delusion of these clowns that they are the best but you can have 1-4 or 0-5 nothing changed previously back in 2011 to 2014 so expect things to remain the same.

1 minute ago, rtmohanlal said:

this shame less parasite moron should be thrown out of the team for ever. Don't have the shame to sprout out blatant lies.

From 2000-2011 India drew 2 series in AUS(both could have been won with some luck), drew & won in ENG, won in NZL  and then drew in SAF,

Since he is the coach so he is trying to big up his team shamelessly and trying to downplay the teams of past.

1 minute ago, rtmohanlal said:

this shame less parasite moron should be thrown out of the team for ever. Don't have the shame to sprout out blatant lies.

From 2000-2011 India drew 2 series in AUS(both could have been won with some luck), drew & won in ENG, won in NZL  and then drew in SAF,

Also won in West Indies. I think he is happy with beating Lanka and WI, those are minnows now. 

9 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

I read that in Shastri's cocky voice, becomes more lolworthy

I can already see him after we destroy Windies at home Star anchor trying to interview hi  or congratulate him for home series win and he will be in his usual arrogant tone barking away screw England series that is a thing of past this is the real deal we won against a good Windies team don't be surprised.

5 minutes ago, wanted_desi said:

Also won in West Indies. I think he is happy with beating Lanka and WI, those are minnows now. 

Is he talking about Test or ODI series as under Kumble we won in Windies under cheerleader we won in England 3-1 in 2014 LOI and in Lanka and T20 3-0 in Australia or South Africa series he might be bringing those stats here.

Edited by Switchblade

What a clown!!

Didn't this idiot said something like "we don't live in past we live in the present 2018, in 1936 I wasn't even born man" when asked about Don Bradman's record in a PC at Trent bridge?? Why is barking about past and the history now?

What an idiotic thing to say when you just lost a series 3-1 with a test to go.

The day when kumble was sacked and this leech was appointed as our coach wud go down as the darkest day in the history of Indian cricket even surpassing the fixing saga.

4 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Why can't someone who is taking the interview or in the press conference retort back saying but you've lost 2 important away series and 5 out of 7 test matches already this year.

Asking back questions will put these morons in their place. Our journos need to learn a lot.

They are allowed to ask only particular  questions