Sunil Gavaskar reminds Ravi Shastri of India’s past overseas record

Switchblade

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/sunil-gavaskar-reminds-ravi-shastri-of-india-s-past-overseas-record/story-oHSGwmKVyxuqBUEeLP3CsO.html

Gavaskar, once a teammate and captain of Shastri, recalled some of the series wins abroad by Indian teams of the past.

“All I can say is that no Indian team has won in Sri Lanka for a long time. But we have won in the West Indies, in England, Test matches in Australia and South Africa,” Gavsakar told ‘India Today’ on Thursday.

What I can say is that teams in 1980s have won in England and West Indies. Rahul Dravid also won series in West Indies in 2005, in England in 2007 and captained when India beat South Africa for the first time (in South Africa).

“Dravid gets very little credit for his leadership and his team’s wins. There have been teams who have won overseas.”

“Lack of footwork has hurt Indian batsmen, they are not getting to the pitch of the ball against Moeen Ali. This comes from playing too much of white ball cricket, in one-dayers you won’t have four slips when pacers are bowling and you can hit through the line.”

“I think that’s something that needs to be looked at by the end of the series. During the series, I understand saying that we are still good to keep morale up. There is still one Test to go. A real assessment has to be made on September 12, when series ends,” Gavaskar said on the eve of the fifth and final Test.

“I believe you can play Prithvi Shaw, there is no harm in playing him as an opener.”

Edited by Switchblade
3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

when did India win in WI in 80s?

He got it wrong there it was in 70's we won and in 2006 1-0 not in 2005 :giggle:

Indian cricket team in West Indies in 1971
Date 5 February – 19 April 1971
Location West Indies Cricket Board West Indies
Result India won the 5-Test series 1–0
Teams
23px-WestIndiesCricketFlagPre1999.svg.pn West Indies 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India
Captains
Garry Sobers Ajit Wadekar
Most runs
Garry Sobers (597)
Charlie Davis (529)
Rohan Kanhai (433)
Sunil Gavaskar (774)
Dilip Sardesai (642)
Eknath Solkar (224)
Most wickets
Jack Noreiga (17)
Garry Sobers (12)
John Shepherd (7)
S. Venkataraghavan (22)
Bishan Singh Bedi (15)
Erapalli Prasanna (11)

The India national cricket team toured the West Indies during the 1970–71 cricket season. They played five Test matches against the West Indian cricket team, with India winning the series 1–0

7 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

He got it wrong there it was in 70's we won and in 2006 1-0 not in 2005 :giggle:

Indian cricket team in West Indies in 1971
Date 5 February – 19 April 1971
Location West Indies Cricket Board West Indies
Result India won the 5-Test series 1–0
Teams
23px-WestIndiesCricketFlagPre1999.svg.pn West Indies 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India
Captains
Garry Sobers Ajit Wadekar
Most runs
Garry Sobers (597)
Charlie Davis (529)
Rohan Kanhai (433)
Sunil Gavaskar (774)
Dilip Sardesai (642)
Eknath Solkar (224)
Most wickets
Jack Noreiga (17)
Garry Sobers (12)
John Shepherd (7)
S. Venkataraghavan (22)
Bishan Singh Bedi (15)
Erapalli Prasanna (11)

The India national cricket team toured the West Indies during the 1970–71 cricket season. They played five Test matches against the West Indian cricket team, with India winning the series 1–0

we won there in 2011 too.