Homosexuals in Family

Stradlater

Interesting debate going on in the other thread with some good points raised by both the sides (apart from absolute drivel by Franco but we won't get to that).

Which got me thinking(and this one is for the pro gay group) would you be fine if someone from your family let's say a son or a daughter come out to you as a homosexual? Would you be willing to support them through thick and thin in case that happens? 

Honestly I for one would be absolutely horrified. I have no issues with others being gay and welcome the decision of Supreme Court but dont think it would mean the same to me if the person is a close family member.

Now I know I might come across as a big hypocrite here but honestly that's how it is for me and I'm sure for many Indians.

What's your take on it @beetle @Sachinism @Nikhil_cric @Muloghonto @UrmiSinhaRay ICF's resident gay supporters?

Also fence sitters like @coffee_rules and @rkt.india

@Stradlater My views on this are pretty consistent I suppose. If I become a parent in the near future I will definitely raise my son as a son should be and a daughter as a daughter should be until the age of 18. I personally don't believe in the "gender is a construct" feminist bullshit. If , on approaching adulthood, they turn out to be homosexual I would accept them just the same. They would be my children and I can love them no less no matter what they are. 

I am not a fence sitter, I will not support their victimization as being done by libs, but won't condone any acts of discrimination or persecution. 

As far as family is concerned, I will be horrified to think about it, but will always support them. Who can desert their own family, unless it is for any criminal act. I will not be a dhrithrasthra and accept adharma

Edited by coffee_rules

12 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Interesting. I suppose you guys have urban based families hence less chances of opposition in such circumstances.

I on the other hand come from a rural background with most of my family living in the village. Even the idea of entertaining such thoughts is scary.

But if it's tour own kin, why would you care that much about what your extended family thinks about them? 

12 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

But if it's tour own kin, why would you care that much about what your extended family thinks about them? 

Not just the extended family but the closer ones too including parents and grandparents.

It's harder for you to understand. Cultural differences I guess. 

We have a strict clannish tribal society in villages and such actions could lead to immediate backlash from the elders unless you don't give a **** anymore.

15 hours ago, Stradlater said:

Interesting debate going on in the other thread with some good points raised by both the sides (apart from absolute drivel by Franco but we won't get to that).

Which got me thinking(and this one is for the pro gay group) would you be fine if someone from your family let's say a son or a daughter come out to you as a homosexual? Would you be willing to support them through thick and thin in case that happens? 

Honestly I for one would be absolutely horrified. I have no issues with others being gay and welcome the decision of Supreme Court but dont think it would mean the same to me if the person is a close family member.

Now I know I might come across as a big hypocrite here but honestly that's how it is for me and I'm sure for many Indians.

What's your take on it @beetle @Sachinism @Nikhil_cric @Muloghonto @UrmiSinhaRay ICF's resident gay supporters?

Also fence sitters like @coffee_rules and @rkt.india

There is nothing wrong with admitting your fears even if they might be wrong or misguided. After we are humans and all are prone to some weaknesses. I am not a racist, but if I see a big albeit innocent black dude in an alley who his minding his business, I will get nervous, because society has stereotyped the feeling in me and it is hard to shake it off. I think it also has to do with the society your are in. If you are in India, you will be more sensitive to what the society will say because homosexuality is not well accepted. However, if you are in a more progressive society like Western Europe or North America where usually people mind their own business and there is less gossip, you may be find it more easy to accept the fact.

Here in the USA, there are lots of people who do not accept homosexuality and religious types think it is a sin. If you think of the whole animal kingdom, homosexuality is prevalent among lots of species. It may be an aberation from the standard man-woman relationship because a penis supposed to enter a vagina, but that is for procreation. It is the society's view that sex which can lead to procreation or any chance of procreation is the normal one. Because religion has dictated that for years. But why does it have to be that way? Sex can be for fun too. If that is true, then why is a man-man sex or a woman-woman sex abnormal? What is abnormal or normal is defined by society and mostly guided by archaic religious beliefs. This is the modern times. Things progress. Hundred years back, women did not have the right to vote, blacks were considered subhuman, etc. My view is if two consenting adults want to have a relationship that does not hurt anyone, why would I have any problem? I have several gay friends/colleagues and I see nothing different in them as I do in heterosexual ones. We all bleed the same blood, have the same problems. 

Edited by dandaroy

1 hour ago, dandaroy said:

There is nothing wrong with admitting your fears even if they might be wrong or misguided. After we are humans and all are prone to some weaknesses. I am not a racist, but if I see a big albeit innocent black dude in an alley who his minding his business, I will get nervous, because society has stereotyped the feeling in me and it is hard to shake it off. I think it also has to do with the society your are in. If you are in India, you will be more sensitive to what the society will say because homosexuality is not well accepted. However, if you are in a more progressive society like Western Europe or North America where usually people mind their own business and there is less gossip, you may be find it more easy to accept the fact.

Here in the USA, there are lots of people who do not accept homosexuality and religious types think it is a sin. If you think of the whole animal kingdom, homosexuality is prevalent among lots of species. It may be an aberation from the standard man-woman relationship because a penis supposed to enter a vagina, but that is for procreation. It is the society's view that sex which can lead to procreation or any chance of procreation is the normal one. Because religion has dictated that for years. But why does it have to be that way? Sex can be for fun too. If that is true, then why is a man-man sex or a woman-woman sex abnormal? What is abnormal or normal is defined by society and mostly guided by archaic religious beliefs. This is the modern times. Things progress. Hundred years back, women did not have the right to vote, blacks were considered subhuman, etc. My view is if two consenting adults want to have a relationship that does not hurt anyone, why would I have any problem? I have several gay friends/colleagues and I see nothing different in them as I do in heterosexual ones. We all bleed the same blood, have the same problems. 

@Tibarn and @Moochad Your opinions on this?