Murali Vijay county perfomance thread

Murali Vijay has signed up with Essex for the remainder of the County Championship season. Vijay, 34, will join the defending champions in a bid to overturn a run of bad form that led to his removal from India Test squad for the final two Tests of the ongoing England series.

The opening batsman featured in the first two Tests in England, at Edgbaston and Lord's, and managed a grand total of 26 runs from four innings including a pair in the second of the games. However, he harbours hopes of overcoming the rut at a ground he recently scored a 53 during India's pre-series warm-up clash.

"I was here with the India side about a month ago and saw first-hand just how good the crowd is. I can't wait to play for Essex and hopefully win some matches," Vijay said after the announcement was made public.

Essex Head Coach Anthony McGrath said he was thrilled to add an opener of Vijay's repute to the side. "We're delighted that Vijay has chosen to come here. He's a great batsman who can score runs at the top of the order.

"Vijay's run-scoring ability means he can be the difference-maker in a game, and that skill is something we were looking to bring in towards the end of the season and something that we're excited about. The campaign is coming to an end and we have some really big games over the next month, so getting someone in with the experience and international quality that Vijay possesses could make all the difference for us," he said.

Vijay will be the third Indian player to sign for Essex. Harbhajan Singh and Gautam Gambhir have previously represented the south-east county. With the services of Vijay and Alastair Cook, who will retire from international cricket after the ongoing Oval Test, Essex will hope to turn around what's been a middling title defence so far.

The side has lost four games, the same number they've won, after the first 11 games of the season. With three games remaining in the season, Essex are fourth in the table with 121 points, trailing leaders Surrey by 97.

Link - https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/103973/india-cricketer-murali-vijay-joins-essex-for-remainder-of-county-season-cricket-news

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
7 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

He has got the highest score on both sides so far.

I think Vijay would have benefited with a county stint prior to this series, and Pujara would have benefited from not going :p:

Yup, worst thing for him was to get picked for CSK as he was planning to go to county 

I hope this kick makes him work hard...........sometimes nothing works like a kick