There’s no utility of tour games if you are not provided quality opposition, says Virat Kohli

Switchblade

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/india-vs-england-test-series-failures-virat-kohli-5346645/

“Lot of people talk about tour games but where are those tour games happening and against what quality of bowling are very important questions to be asked,” Kohli said. “Because if you don’t get the preparation you need before a Test series, then it is actually not utilised well. Time is not utilised well if you don’t get the quality of opposition that you will face in Test cricket,” he added.

“Sitting right now, two things — the second innings at Birmingham and first innings at Southampton. Sitting here, I am not thinking of anything else. The key was to make the team win and twice I could have contributed more. “I know Trent Bridge was great but I remember second innings at Birmingham and first innings at Southampton and I am thinking about that. I am thinking so that if I am in the same position once again, I won’t let the team down,” the Indian captain said.

“I am always focussed on where my mistakes are and how I can improve upon them. I am willing to accept mistakes even in the best of times so that I can keep on improving. “It’s important for the team that my mindset stays good so that I can lead from the front and if I am only thinking about my performances, then I am not doing justice to the responsibility that I am given.”

“It was a competitive series and we have already understood and admitted the things that we haven’t done well. That’s something we are keen to improve on as to get into competitive positions, you understand that you have the ability. But ability only takes you to a certain extent and then your mental toughness comes into play when you have to win Test series in difficult conditions and difficult countries, something that we aspire to do,” he said.

“When you don’t do that being in winning positions, obviously hurts more than anything. Probably, that’s frustrating, we have shown skill sets to get into winning positions and not capitalise on them. Try and get better as a team. Provided we are mentally tougher than opposition in difficult situations.”

“For me, the larger picture is always going to be life. If I am solid and doing the right things, then I am much more confident on the field. I don’t play for perceptions, for people or for reputation, I only play to make the team win and that’s why I started playing the sport.”

“I am more focussed on having a very solid life, being happy with life and doing the right things on a daily basis and then everything else seems to be an enjoyable journey as a part of the larger process,” he said.

“I didn’t start playing to have numbers and they are inconsequential. People remember your attitude and what you brought onto field,” he said. He then cited the example of Sir Vivian Richards. “When you talk about the great West Indies side (of 70’s and 80s), no one talks about Sir Viv’s average, they talk about his attitude and what the charisma he brought on to the field, how he inspired people. So I see this greater responsibility in the position that I am put by that power (Almighty) to inspire people. For that I need to do the right things,” Kohli said.

“It’s nothing but hardwork as these guys want to be the best bowlers in the world and I am proud to see that as captain. When you see these guys running and bowling in partnerships, its a beautiful feeling that you are not trying to outdo anyone else but you are trying to take 10 wickets for the team. That’s what these guys have shown,” he said.

“They have bowled with heart on all five days of Test cricket. At 6:15 pm in the evening, (Mohammed) Shami 29 year old is bowling 90 miles per hour, Ishant (Sharma) running all day, they have worked on their fitness and strength. They have been honest with their preparations,” he concluded.

Despite India's loss i have some sympathy for them.  Two of the most experienced fast bowling pair in England history having the most conducive conditions with 4 wins in tosses having to bowl to a slightly inexperienced  Indian side with few of them past by sell date. Also England's depth also played a role. No complaint about bowling apart from Ashwin who may have under-estimated his injury. IN all the recent tours to England despite losses for the first time we were highly competitive in more than one test.  Imagine that 0-4 tour where we had some of our legends. At no point we were in any test. Honest effort from some players. Some also proved they just don't have it in them to survive in these conditions.

4 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Again Kohli is talking about what works for him, you can't and shouldn't expect the same from other players as well.

They seriously need to get a strict coach who can make them work hard on their game the current setup is poisonous and will destroy the team.Cheerleader needs to be fired these two are high on ego and in complete denial.

2 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

Again Kohli is talking about what works for him, you can't and shouldn't expect the same from other players as well.

This is a fundamental issue behind why Kohli will never amount to a good captain. He just thinks about what is good for him rather than the team, thus he dislikes warm-up games and ridicules their relevance ignoring the fact that other players may value them and want to spend time out in an actual game. 

The more you assess him and his captaincy the more Kohli comes across as a simpleton and lacking match intelligence. He sees things as either black or white. Does not appreciate that there are grey areas hence he has no plan B such as when the opposition tail starts to wag - he just looks blank and clueless. 

4 hours ago, Kothili said:

Second that. No commitment to excellence. Hero worship unlimited. 

And the lack of accountability and hence chalta hain attitude and prone to over-complacency. Otherwise, I cannot fathom a nation of over a billion people with a high level of intelligence still languishing in poverty, massive wealth gap, rampant corruption, etc. India has so much potential, but it is all on paper. Otherwise, why do Indians succeed when they go to a foreign land to establish a economically and professionally prosperous life, broadly speaking? Answer is right there.

Edited by dandaroy
1 hour ago, Kothili said:

Take a bat and whack all our batsmen with it.  Make them watch this video, keep whacking them until it gets through their bloated stupid neanderthal heads.

Thes idiots probably do not want to do the hard work. There IS NOTHING that is substitute to hard work and planning.