velu

Pant is caught with his pants down in test cricket !!!

@Number  my thread is anyway nothing related to dhoni , since you brought it up

dhoni in his first series in englad .. 5 innings scored 209 runs at an average of 52 ( strike rate 66++ )

dhoni in his last series in englad .. 10 innings scored 349 runs at an average of 35 ( strike rate 49++ )

Pant was played because Saha was unavailable .... it was like pick your poison situation - Karthik or Pant .... it is better to try a youngster than a TTF .... when Saha returns, he should take the gloves .... Pant can still be a prime candidate for LOIs 

Just now, Nikola said:

Dhoni the way he batted in 2014 series would have won series for us with his batting at #6 and with his captaincy too.

Dhoni has retired from tests .... why are we mentioning him ..... In that case, if we had Dravid and batted like in .... 

1 minute ago, zen said:

Dhoni has retired from tests .... why are we mentioning him ..... In that case, if we had Dravid and batted like in .... 

All i wanted to say is dhoni was fine keeper batsman even in overseas. And currently i dont even want him to play any format of the game.

8 minutes ago, Nikola said:

All i wanted to say is dhoni was fine keeper batsman even in overseas. And currently i dont even want him to play any format of the game.

In his prime, Dhoni was excellent .... He is an ATG WK option for Ind :proud:

Edited by zen

let him go through the grind... he is not there yet neither with bat nor with gloves...

just want him to focus on his keeping and batting... need to do some basics properly for couple of years...and specially not to do drama and showbaazi on or off field like his teammates...

4 minutes ago, Shunya said:

let him go through the grind... he is not there yet neither with bat nor with gloves...

just want him to focus on his keeping and batting... need to do some basics properly for couple of years...and specially not to do drama and showbaazi on or off field like his teammates...

Is expected to replace Dhoni in LOIs though esp. in or after the 2019 WC 

This England test series has been very difficult for batters of both sides.  

Need to give time to ALL young players with potential.  Can't judge them till they play 10 to 15 tests atleast.  

Select players after careful deliberation ... then back them strongly.

Pant needs to be backed. 

Edited by express bowling

5 hours ago, velu said:

@Number  my thread is anyway nothing related to dhoni , since you brought it up

dhoni in his first series in englad .. 5 innings scored 209 runs at an average of 52 ( strike rate 66++ )

dhoni in his last series in englad .. 10 innings scored 349 runs at an average of 35 ( strike rate 49++ )

Conditions for batting in 2007 and this series are chalk and cheese. I can bet Pant will have at least one century outside SC after he completes 10 years of intl career.

Can't judge pant based on a series where barring kohli each and every batter struggled. 

Will see how he does against wi at home in conducive conditions, its not easy to give your best in the middle of the series with team struggling and moral down, all in a he has impressed with wkeeping alone. 

Pant has played 5 innings , despite being poor with bat he has still  out scored jonny bairstow an established batsman. 

So be fair dont bash for bashing.
Johnny is playing with a broken finger.
Else he was doing very well earlier.
A better comparison will be Jos Buttler TBF

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Pant took some catches, but is no way near test quality keeper. The less said about his batting the better.

Has no footwork behind the stumps. 

Most of the byes weren't his fault, but he missed some straight forward takes. A long way to go.

Anyone know when Saha is expected to be fit again?

4 minutes ago, Sachinism said:

Pant took some catches, but is no way near test quality keeper. The less said about his batting the better.

Most of the byes weren't his fault, but he missed some straight forward takes. A long way to go.

He had too much footwork, in some sense. He often overcommitted to one movement too early, and was caught with his pants down (sorry ...) when there was a deflection. Coming from a different sport, I would suggest he needs to wait longer and then move explosively. That does not necessarily mean diving (like Karthik) or letting everything go that is not within an arm's reach (like Dhoni at his worst), just holding off on the shuffle steps as long as possible and then doing them quickly.

I read near the end of August that Saha expects his full recovery to take four months.:nervous:

Often, when Pant dives, he is going the wrong way first. As a result, the maximum distance he gains is not much more than if he had been standing still and had stretched out his arm instead. A nice contrast would be James Foster (Essex). If you see his catches, you will see him stand still till the last moment in a half squat (he does not(!) start in a full crouch - neither does Saha) and then move. Of course knowing when to step and when to dive comes only with experience ...

On the same note, it is important to keep body shape when diving - again, Foster is a prime example of this. The more uncoordinated flailing there is with legs and hands, the less distance one covers, and the lower the chance of actually holding on to the ball when you do reach it.

Edited by abc

6 minutes ago, abc said:

Often, when Pant dives, he is going the wrong way first. As a result, the maximum distance he gains is not much more than if he had been standing still and had stretched out his arm instead. A nice contrast would be James Foster (Essex). If you see his catches, you will see him stand still till the last moment in a half squat (he does not(!) start in a full crouch - neither does Saha) and then move. Of course knowing when to step and when to dive comes only with experience ...

On the same note, it is important to keep body shape when diving - again, Foster is a prime example of this. The more uncoordinated flailing there is with legs and hands, the less distance one covers, and the larger the chance of actually holding on to the ball when you do reach it.

completely agree with you ..

he preempts his move way too early .. good example is his two drops of buttler ( one in 3rd test and other in 4th )..

but pant is very agile

57 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Johnny is playing with a broken finger.
Else he was doing very well earlier.

Yes but butler isnt keeping and batting hence tricky to compare

46 minutes ago, Sachinism said:

Saha will not be available until after Australia tour. So, Pant has no competition. Though, Kohli does weird things with selection so you never know. DK will be back

1 hour ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

How is it TBF  ?

Butler playing his 25th test in familiar home conditions with his team winning  ... doing well after struggling for his first 22 tests.

Pant playing his first test series and 3rd test match ... in unfamiliar swing aiding conditions with his team struggling.

Chalk and cheese.

How is it TBF  ?

Butler playing his 25th test in familiar home conditions with his team winning  ... doing well after struggling for his first 22 tests.

Pant playing his first test series and 3rd test match ... in unfamiliar swing aiding conditions with his team struggling.

Chalk and cheese.

Somebody compared Pant's stats with Bairstow's stats in this tour so I said that Bairstow is injured so a better comparison would be Buttler.

14 minutes ago, Shunya said:

Saha will not be available until after Australia tour. So, Pant has no competition. Though, Kohli does weird things with selection so you never know. DK will be back

Bring back Pappu :protest:

I swore so much at Saha for being mentally weak, dark ugly insults I threw at him. Now I miss him. He put a price on his wicket at least. Pant is young but seems to lack brain cells, we know this doesn't change with age much. Seems like an Axar Patel type of batsman. I miss Partiv as he could bat but his keeping was suspect. Truth be told, I worship Dhoni and have missed him since, ATG in any team, any era, any format and as skipper.