Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stradlater

Has IPL hurt Indian Cricket?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Vilander said:

teacher job is low paying in most countries but sure is respected even in India - its low paying but respected.

I  know it is India but my comment of from a decent family became that a decent family means how much money they have 

Share this post


Link to post

IPL surely has helped Indian cricket. The Eng test series loss is due to poor planning and selection. We easily have at least an additional 5 India A batsman who could have debuted. All we needed was consistent ~280-300 scores in every innings.

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

The examples I gave above all had families relatively less well off compared to Bumrah and yet they thrived and succeeded in the pre IPL culture when in fact as per your logic they shouldn't even have made it to the team due to the high prevalence of Bhai bhatijawad in the system.

So you are saying India never had corruption or bhai bhatijawaad? BTW the fact is now players have two options for career either go through Ranji , domestic or through IPL.And bhai bhatijawaad does not mean that no talent can go through.

 

Also the examples of players you have given were from middle class families may be from small town most of players had fathers , elder brothers to support them.

 

Also lets go to your original question IPL destroying cricket .It means we should have been seeing excellent spinners , very good death over pacers and power hitters.But wait we are not seeing this in IPL.So where Indian talent is going

 

And please see most run getters and wicket takers of Ranji trophy 2017 -18 very few of them were seen in IPL and hardly any of them picked in Indian test team .So it is fault of selectors to pick K L Rahul and Pant ahead of those who scored in Ranji

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

So you are saying India never had corruption or bhai bhatijawaad? BTW the fact is now players have two options for career either go through Ranji , domestic or through IPL.And bhai bhatijawaad does not mean that no talent can go through.

No all I'm saying is that you are blowing this nepotism thing out of proportions by somehow depicting the Pre IPL period as some sort of closed system where outsiders rarely got to enter which is absolutely false.

7 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

Also the examples of players you have given were from middle class families may be from small town most of players had fathers , elder brothers to support them.

Lol Irfan, Dhoni , Zaheer all were lower middle class small town players

And why are you so hung up on Bumrah anyway? IPL has completed 10 years recently. Surely there has to be more players. Because if there aren't than Bumrah is an exception and not a norm.

7 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

 

Also lets go to your original question IPL destroying cricket .It means we should have been seeing excellent spinners , very good death over pacers and power hitters.But wait we are not seeing this in IPL.So where Indian talent is going

Downfall of Indian cricket has many reasons behind it and I believe IPL is one of the major ones.  I never claimed it's the only factor behind our shambolic performances, did I?

7 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

 

And please see most run getters and wicket takers of Ranji trophy 2017 -18 very few of them were seen in IPL and hardly any of them picked in Indian test team .So it is fault of selectors to pick K L Rahul and Pant ahead of those who scored in Ranji

Clearly you failed to understand the motive behind the thread. My point was due to emergence of IPL, a culture of recklessness has developed whereby players aren't motivated enough to perform for the national side and are content with earning million bucks playing for franchise.

Share this post


Link to post

Out of various factors plaguing Indian Test cricket, IPL is in top 2 or 3. But it is the top most reason when it comes to Indian batsmen playing Test matches. 

 

 

The absolute lack of backfoot play to fast bowlers in tests is one such example including kohli himself. Which results in not enough runs made off the square.

 

Focusing too much on defense technique which curtails your scoring opportunities. Simply enough runs weren't made to put opposition bowlers in the back foot. We lost 1st test by a mere 31 runs and the 4th by 60.

 

Not much feet movement to spinners. Always allowing the spinners to settle in a rhythm and allowing them to wreck havoc. Our guys kept on defending moeen ali. defending is good but eventually you will nick one to the nearby fielders or risk lbw.

 

 

Edited by Stan AF

Share this post


Link to post

Australia hasn’t won a test series in Asia since god knows when. Has BBL hurt them? 

 

England just got blanked 0-4 last January in the ashes. Has T20 blast hurt them? 

 

Pakistan just lost 0-2 to SL in UAE. Has PSL hurt them? 

 

SA lost 0-2 in SL embarrassingly. Has Ram Slam T20 hurt them? 

 

Fact is that every team is awful away from home. T20 leagues have nothing to do with it. 

Edited by SecondSlip

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, mishra said:

Back to IPL, It should be made mandatory to share certain percentage of revenue as bonus to test specialists. I am sure it wont be more than 0.01% to make test cricketer interested in doing well

That's absurd. Why would anyone want to give their earnings to players who can't make it to IPL because of lack of skills. 

 

The test players are already earning crores of money in the form of an annual contract with BCCI. Maybe they should get a hike but not out of the pockets of IPL players. 

Edited by Lannister

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, mishra said:

Back to IPL, It should be made mandatory to share certain percentage of revenue as bonus to test specialists. I am sure it wont be more than 0.01% to make test cricketer interested in doing well1

why ??? 

Test specialist get good money from BCCI, and they can go play county and earn  may not be as much but still good money. 

Aur paisa chahiye to in btw series go join some news network or commentary team ....acha paisa milega

 

Watever Indian players earn is enough, but again paisa jitna mile utna kum lagta hai

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Singh bling said:

And please see most run getters and wicket takers of Ranji trophy 2017 -18 very few of them were seen in IPL and hardly any of them picked in Indian test team .So it is fault of selectors to pick K L Rahul and Pant ahead of those who scored in Ranji

Where did you learn this? KL Rahul got picked into Test side because of his excellent performance in one of the domestic seasons. He was not even a regular in IPL until 2-3 years after his debut for India. 

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, anoop S said:

Pujara still is a flop overseas batsman so i will still say IPL has nothing to do with this debacle.

Infact butler's performance has improved in test after IPL 2018 (though i will again say nothing to do with IPL)

Pujara has the second highest average amongst all batsmen this series. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Pujara has the second highest average amongst all batsmen this series. 

2nd means nothing when difference between first and 2nd is massive. Moreover he doesnt play IPL and was playing county still couldnt make any difference. His overall record outside asia is pathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, anoop S said:

2nd means nothing when difference between first and 2nd is massive. Moreover he doesnt play IPL and was playing county still couldnt make any difference. His overall record outside asia is pathetic.

Second highest average not just from our team but also from both teams . Yes his overall performance has not impressed but the likes of Dhawan and rahane need to be replaced before pujara is. 

Share this post


Link to post

I think ipl has psychological and monetary impact on players will.

 

If I make 2 crores say in a season and if I am from a middle class or lower middle class that is a lot. There are 10 teams with 100 spots for grabs. 

 

I can get into that and make my life. All i need is 1 good year .

 

So with decent efforts and some eye catchy knocks or bowling my life is set.

 

Case in point unadkut.  Why will he even try harder .

 

So I think ipl has brought in easy money and low level talent to succeed.

 

Bumrah is an exception than the norm.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think so, even players who don't play in the IPL failed for the most part ie Shami and Vijay. Kohli and Bumrah play all IPL matches and they have been stars without a doubt. 

 

I think it is the lack of practice matches. Look how much better the team has played in the last 3 matches with the bat vs the 1st two, although pitches are different as well.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Lannister said:

Where did you learn this? KL Rahul got picked into Test side because of his excellent performance in one of the domestic seasons. He was not even a regular in IPL until 2-3 years after his debut for India. 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=12014;type=tournament

 

Just check the name of top 10 run scorers apart vihari none of them got chance.If Ranji is qualification exam for test team then on what basis these players are not selected.Look at Anmolpreet Singh 100 plus average with 20 year of age.Surely deserve  a chance

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, prasen82 said:

I think ipl has psychological and monetary impact on players will.

 

If I make 2 crores say in a season and if I am from a middle class or lower middle class that is a lot. There are 10 teams with 100 spots for grabs. 

 

I can get into that and make my life. All i need is 1 good year .

 

So with decent efforts and some eye catchy knocks or bowling my life is set.

 

Case in point unadkut.  Why will he even try harder .

 

So I think ipl has brought in easy money and low level talent to succeed.

 

Bumrah is an exception than the norm.

 

 

Playing for country is passion for emerging cricketers.All dream of becoming big , surely you can make money in IPL but for a big name you have to play for country

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, prasen82 said:

I think ipl has psychological and monetary impact on players will.

 

If I make 2 crores say in a season and if I am from a middle class or lower middle class that is a lot. There are 10 teams with 100 spots for grabs. 

 

I can get into that and make my life. All i need is 1 good year .

 

So with decent efforts and some eye catchy knocks or bowling my life is set.

 

Case in point unadkut.  Why will he even try harder .

 

So I think ipl has brought in easy money and low level talent to succeed.

 

Bumrah is an exception than the norm.

 

 

Exactly!!!. Why toil years and years for lesser monetary rewards while you can do it in 2 months

Edited by Stan AF

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Absolutely, we were winning all overseas test series before IPL ruined our cricket.

We did if you care to check the history.

 

Australia: 1-1, later lost 2-1 in 2007-08 but we all know how that series played out.

Pakistan: 2-1 

South Africa: 1-1 

West Indies: 1-0

NZ: 1-0

England: 1-0 

 

But carry on with your agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

when was the last time we won more than one test in SENA? Here too we won one test.

We drew tests. That requires a whole lot of mental strength than your bunch of IPL pussies getting their lungis in twist and surrendering with a slight movement of ball in the air.

 

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=12014;type=tournament

 

Just check the name of top 10 run scorers apart vihari none of them got chance.If Ranji is qualification exam for test team then on what basis these players are not selected.Look at Anmolpreet Singh 100 plus average with 20 year of age.Surely deserve  a chance

You said Rahul got his Test spot based on his IPL performance. That's not true. He was one of the top scorers in Ranji cricket when he made his Test debut.

 

It's too soon for Anmolpreet Singh. Let him play A tours first. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×