Bhuvneshwar Kumar is Overrated in ODIs?

Nikola

Overrated depends on what one rates him as:

If one rates him as one of the best overall bowlers in ODIs , I think they are clearly wrong: he doesn't take wickets, so he puts pressure on the other bowlers to take them.

If one rates him as one of the best death bowlers in ODIs, then I think they are right. 

We need to develop a couple of new pacers for ODIs ... to partner Bumrah.

We wasted this chance in England by picking Kaul and Umesh.  

Kaul is good for T20s only and there are better choices for that format even.

Umesh should stick to test matches.

Khaleel Ahmed is a good choice.  Needs to be backed strongly so that he develops into a good ODI bowler. Saini needs to be looked at too.

We can replace Bhuvi only if we are able to develop good replacements.  And this needs foresight and a clear vision about what we need ,  assessing ability of what we have currently, mentoring ability to develop new options and the courage to make the transition.  Do we have it  ?

Edited by express bowling
54 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

Overrated depends on what one rates him as:

If one rates him as one of the best overall bowlers in ODIs , I think they are clearly wrong: he doesn't take wickets, so he puts pressure on the other bowlers to take them.

If one rates him as one of the best death bowlers in ODIs, then I think they are right. 

What's use of that pressure and death bowling when he is clearly trundling and having such poor stats? Till now many bowlers came and went but no one was just putting pressure? Obviously if he puts soo much pressure he should get wickets to himself as well? I feel he gets getting free ride because of bumrah and two wrist spinners. Team is winning because of these 3 so they are not bothered too much to change the xi.

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

he is good at death but not picking wkts with new ball 

we can still play him as third seamer and find someone else for new ball.  Pandya isn't a 3rd seamer.  Even stokes does not play as a 3rd seamer for England.  I would like Pandya to bat at 6 and become the 6th bowler in near future once Dhoni retires and Pant at 5. Find someone else for #7 a bowler who bats well.

1 hour ago, Tibarn said:

If you have strike bowler who take wickets upfront then you won't even need death bowling most of the time. You are needing his death bowling because he can't get wickets at start or middle. Luckly spinners and bumrah are doing the job but if they sometime fail to get wickets then you know even his death bowling won't be useful against top order batsman.

13 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

we can still play him as third seamer and find someone else for new ball.  Pandya isn't a 3rd seamer.  Even stokes does not play as a 3rd seamer for England.  I would like Pandya to bat at 6 and become the 6th bowler in near future once Dhoni retires and Pant at 5. Find someone else for #7 a bowler who bats well.

yea we can , Bhuvi still does enough to keep his place . Bats a bit.....is good at death 

I hve been saying we shud also have a plan to play 3 seamers + 1 spinner + Hardik + krunal , this also allows us to have a left arm seamer in the attack 

at this point we are jst stuck with one plan 2 pace + 2 spinner + hardik + half a bowler in jadhav.....this will backfire someday specially if one bowler has off or opposition will soon figure a plan against kuldeep n chahal. 

If you have one very good new ball bowler and one decent (bumrah) then you don't need two death bowlers (bhuvi and bumrah) since only one very good death bowler (bumrah) and one decent one would do the job.

So, we need to find a pace bowler who is very good new ball bowler and a decent death blower.

Note: By decent death bowler I just mean one who isn't terrible in leaking runs.He may still be a bit expensive.

1 hour ago, Nikola said:

If you have strike bowler who take wickets upfront then you won't even need death bowling most of the time. You are needing his death bowling because he can't get wickets at start or middle. Luckly spinners and bumrah are doing the job but if they sometime fail to get wickets then you know even his death bowling won't be useful against top order batsman.

What's use of that pressure and death bowling when he is clearly trundling and having such poor stats? Till now many bowlers came and went but no one was just putting pressure? Obviously if he puts soo much pressure he should get wickets to himself as well? I feel he gets getting free ride because of bumrah and two wrist spinners. Team is winning because of these 3 so they are not bothered too much to change the xi.

I agree with you, but the other established bowlers who we use in ODIs are Shami and Umesh. Both are good wicket takers, but neither bowls well at the death. Shami is also a minus in the field. BK is not crap with the bat. With the WC so close, I doubt the thinktank will look past him now, barring injury. 

1 hour ago, LORD_analyst said:

a strike bowler is much better than a bowler is good at last 4 overs when the elephant has gone and tail remains.... can decrease opposition total by 10 runs, but can't win u matches....

Definitely, some bowlers in ODIs have low ERs only because the opposition plays them out without having to take risks. After the batsmen are set they go bananas. Strike bowlers need to remove them before they get set, particularly in the middle overs. There is no way we are beating Aus or England in ODIs without removing their middle orders.  

Even if India is not able to get good bowler till the world cup, There is always the option of going back to mohammad shami...Now he has Good experince of English conditions and also he is not alien for odis as well..

U might need shami bhuvi bumrah all in some conditions with only one wrist spinner and pandya

Edited by PSB_Zone

It comes down to selectors mixing up the formats and not getting it right. He is good in T20s but not so much in ODIs. You need tearaway quicks in LOIs to negate the flat pitch which is norm these days. Kumar neither has pace nor bounce. He is going to cost us the world up if he's included in the team. We only bowl two fast bowlers these days and surely one of them cannot be him.