'Broken thumb won't stop Gilchrist from playing'

Feed

Except that Rhodes wasn't keeping a superior keeper/bat out of the side. (Haddin's averaging 45 in ODIs over the last 12 months, with no minnow games. Gilly averages 41.81 in the same period with a handful of knocks v. Scotland, Netherlands and Bangladesh propping that up. And Haddin's the FAR superior keeper at this stage.)

He did. A 5-0 Ashes sweep, that World Cup final knock (after which he really should have retired), a nice test series win, then the next fairytale hundred on his adopted home ground at the WACA. Besides, no reason to be sentimental. I don't remember people sobbing their eyes out over Healy leaving a decade ago - he got the boot before a test at his home ground in Briz, and ended up being replaced by Gilchrist without any sentiment. That was best for the team then. Haddin coming in now is best for the team now, no reason to pander to emotions and give him another big drawn out SRW-like farewell.

"Come on man, it's Gilly"? Huh? Whaaa? This is the land that booted Grimmett a few years before he was truly past it, the same team that kicked Healy out and was putting ridiculous pressure on Steve Waugh and Glenn McGrath to retire or really perform. Hell, this is a team that's been ruthless to the point of dropping Simon Katich after scoring 200+ runs in a game to save the match and series because they felt his replacement would do a better job. No room for sentiment here as far as I'm concerned. Gilchrist is past it, his keeping's shot and his batting's hit or miss for the most part these days. Haddin's THE man and as you said, the best keeper-bat in the game right now. Those runs he's been making for NSW aren't flukes, this is a man hitting his peak. Aus need to pick him and let Gilly head to the great Nein commentary box in the sky.

Come on man, its Gilly! But I agree that Haddin deserves his spot, imo he is the best keeper/batsmen in the world at the moment.
he might be better than Gilly but how he becomes the best keeper batsman when the other two keepers in this tourney are turning it on is beyond me. Are you really that blind?