Ganguly the Captain- was he that good??

Here is my take on this

Every captain brings something new to a team and good captains take team to a diff level which is what ganguly did....
what he added to the team was the need of the hour
what dravid n dhoni did was they took it to next level

They all had their share of issues, no one was an outstanding captain. N a captain is as good as a team. Now virat posses a pace attack that none of his previous captain had consistently. Ganguly, dravid n dhoni(for sometime) had the batting lineup which was a force . Ganguly also had a kumble at its peek . Dhoni last few yr with test team was a rebuilding phase . So all these things impact overall record.

Rather then comparing we shud appeciate what they bought to this team and where they took it. Comparisons shudnt be done coz every captain has a diff team and diff challenges and diff eras. 

The ganguly team faced a diff WI then present. BAng now in ODi is a diff team then it was . Beating SL in SL is easy then it use to be 

What we do as Indian fans is hype someone way to much in emotion that a person looks immortal and sachin being called god is the best example. At the end they all are humans and they all have flaws , after few yrs we all forget their flaws ....forgetting that during their era we were at their throats as well. I remeber during ganguly era ppl were waiting for him to be dropped from team. It use to be said that ganguly- dalmiya in power is destroying team during his last phase, same with srini-dhoni and now with kohli- shastri......
And then someone gets up and points a question and we cnt bear a question against our heros. Sometimes they will even demean......like i fell a lot of point were here ...some were good i must say 

May be its just how we look at things. 

A gr8 team is build over years and every captain has put bricks into it....hadnt it been for ganguly the progress wud have been same.....hadnt it for dhoni, dravid the progress wud have stopped. Every process is important like other. Even someone like chappell contributed in his way who is jst made a scapegoat which shows our poor mentality towards outsiders.

Can we talk about test performances under Ganguly leadership. I know we lost lot of odi final under him in major tournaments but the reality is he had identified talent backed him who later went on to become greats of the game. Also he infused the actual winning mentality and make this team competitive overseas under his captaincy only we defeated the atg AUS  side which no other teams were able to do that. All in all thats the time when people started taking India team seriously during overseas tour.

12 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Can we talk about test performances under Ganguly leadership. I know we lost lot of odi final under him in major tournaments but the reality is he had identified talent backed him who later went on to become greats of the game. Also he infused the actual winning mentality and make this team competitive overseas under his captaincy only we defeated the atg AUS  side which no other teams were able to do that. All in all thats the time when people started taking India team seriously during overseas tour.

he has posted a lot of stats about test 

Just now, Suhaan said:

Dhoni kambabhakts have come up with this..cloud his mediocrity kambabhakts

erre yaar this is what i hate about

Tum saala bhakt, chamcho se baahar nhin nikloge

HE has given u stats n facts appreciate it if u dnt agree to it and u can post ur facts rather then giving a faltu statement

and where did he say dhoni is a gr8 captain, he is jst talking regd ganguly

Too much bashing going on there. Ganguly was a transformational captain who backed new talent even if they were not from his state, instilled self belief, fighting spirit and stood up to bullies like Aussies. Of course, like everyone else he had a shelf life which came to an end around the time Chapell took over. 

Edited by nevada
32 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

he has posted a lot of stats about test 

If this kind of micro analysis we do for each captain individually based on different parameters , hardly anyone come up with flying color. However what you believe is the opinion of expert(India/overseas)who regards him one of the best from subcontinent coz the way he led this team during overseas test tour and made us highly competitive. Most if the player who did well under David captaincy were introduced by Ganguly and were already mature by the time David took over the rein.

3 minutes ago, raki05 said:

If this kind of micro analysis we do for each captain individually based on different parameters , hardly anyone come up with flying color. However what you believe is the opinion of expert(India/overseas)who regards him one of the best from subcontinent coz the way he led this team during overseas test tour and made us highly competitive. Most if the player who did well under David captaincy were introduced by Ganguly and were already mature by the time David took over the rein.

agreed but thats wht i mentioned in my view below, i didnt say i completely agree with him......but he makes some good points 

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

erre yaar this is what i hate about

Tum saala bhakt, chamcho se baahar nhin nikloge

HE has given u stats n facts appreciate it if u dnt agree to it and u can post ur facts rather then giving a faltu statement

and where did he say dhoni is a gr8 captain, he is jst talking regd ganguly

Exactly toh ignore karo na,bhai tumhari baatein bhi koi pravachan nahi hoti....piece of advice ignore 

Highly overrated...like everything that is old and 90s. 

The myth that he changed Indian cricket is because of match fixing fiasco and pathetic captaincy standards set by Tendulkar before him. I mean if you are as poor as Tendulkar, than even an average captain would look good.

Though, he is not the worst, he and his team did play to their potentials and had won decent enough games. Team full of ATGs at their peak made it easy for him.

Negative point is his batting dipped after being captain, which is opposite to most other Indian captains.

3 hours ago, diga said:

After Azhar & Tendulkar , Gangulys captaincy was a breath of fresh air... With John wright as coach, we did much better than the preceding 5 years.   Statistically he may not be greatest, but his contribution far outweighs any world cup wins

his century against australia at start of series was  the best by an indian captain. we couldnt win the series cos of bucknor but boy oh boy -

he was a decent test bat

v good odi bat

safe slip fielder

above avg captain 

led tendulkar etc without bruising their ego

1 hour ago, Shunya said:

Highly overrated...like everything that is old and 90s. 

The myth that he changed Indian cricket is because of match fixing fiasco and pathetic captaincy standards set by Tendulkar before him. I mean if you are as poor as Tendulkar, than even an average captain would look good.

Though, he is not the worst, he and his team did play to their potentials and had won decent enough games. Team full of ATGs at their peak made it easy for him.

Negative point is his batting dipped after being captain, which is opposite to most other Indian captains.

How many centuries dhoni scored in sena countries ? Ganguly did that. He is not a pretender like dhoni in tests. Dhoni set us back in test cricket damaged all the good cricket played under ganguly and dravid in sena.

Edited by gattaca
5 minutes ago, gattaca said:

How many centuries dhoni scored in sena countries ? Ganguly did that. He is not a pretender like dhoni in tests. Dhoni set us back in test cricket damaged all the good cricket played under ganguly and dravid in sena.

Hoe many trophies did ganguly win ??? Dhoni did that. He is not a pretender like ganguly HE ACTUALLY WON something. Dhoni set us so back that we whitewashed aus for the first time which dravid or ganguly couldn't even do.. :phehe: 

the team dynamics during different generations vary. If Ganguly were captain today, with Ind at #1, his stats would have been different 

Similarly, Pataudi is considered to be a great captain despite his poor w/l ratio. Based on w/l ratio, Ponting would be a better captain than Mark Taylor, who many rate highly 

Captaincy performance is not always about stats 

Edited by zen

Ganguly is an over rated captain, doesn't mean he was bad either.As a captain what he did was to play the dirty game of  taking all the slaps that came his way by himself .This allowed a group of extremely talented players around him to express freely. From  that point of view  and also because of  his lower batting position ,  his avg: of 42+ with such longevity is not at all over rated for a pure batsman.