India vs Pakistan, Asia Cup 2018: Ahead of high-voltage clash, Gautam Gambhir lashes out at cricket policy

Switchblade

https://www.timesnownews.com/asia-cup/article/india-vs-pakistan-asia-cup-2018-ahead-of-high-voltage-clash-gautam-gambhir-lashes-out-at-cricket-policy/285173

New Delhi: Asia Cup 2018 has kicked off in style at the United Arab Emirates on Saturday (September 15) with six teams fighting for Asian supremacy, but all eyes will be on India versus Pakistan contest that will be on the fourth afternoon of the tournament.

The two arch rivals of the game will face each other for the first time since Champions Trophy 2017 final. India-Pakistan contest have always garnered the most attention in ICC or Asia Cup tournaments amid no bilateral series since 2008. 

And ahead of the high-octane contest, veteran Indian cricketer Gautam Gambhir has lashed out at the cricket policy between the two nations. Gambhir reckons that amid degrading relation between the two neighbouring countries there should not be any India-Pakistan matches conducted even in ICC and Asia Cup competitions and if it is played then the government might as well give permission for a bilateral series. 

Speaking to WoW Cricket, Gambhir said, "There should be a particular decision for the forthcoming contest between the two nations. It cannnot be that India can contest Pakistan in ICC and Asia Cup tournaments and not face them for a bilateral series. If the government permits India to play against Pakistan in the ICC event then give it for the series and if the series is not happening, then banish Pakistan completely. The answer will either be yes or no completely on cricket between the two countries.

The left-handed cricketer added that soldiers hold a position higher than an enthralling cricket contest between the two nations. Gambhir said, "The soldiers are more important to us, the government should first protect the boundary and then play cricket." He said, "On one side, soldiers are martyred on the border, so we should not play cricket anywhere with Pakistan."

Former Indian skipper Kapil Dev too was present at the show and he agreed upon the words of Gambhir, but also expects newly-elected Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan to improve on the relationship so that a possible bilateral series can start off soon.

1 hour ago, Khota said:

Geoff Boycott. Most overrated player ever.

True that. Gambhir is hardly a rubbish player. When he was doing well, he played some valuable knocks for India between 2008 - 2011. I remember the knock in SA in 2010-11 and also saving a test in NZ in 2009. True, he was known as pokemon for his habit of poking outside the off stump, but this footage was when he was way past his prime.

It's a bit rich coming from Boycott. The most boring batsman in the history of test cricket. Phucker was once dropped from the team for playing too slow. I have seen Boycott play, could put even a young man to sleep. And phucker has the audacity to compare himself to Gavaskar. :giggle:

Edited by dandaroy
My favourite in the Indian team lost his way but played important knocks in the finals 75 and 97 was a committed player.
Yeah I like Gambhir too.
He is very honest , hard working and passionate guy from whatever I heard about him

Gambhir has a good eye for talent too.
The kind of man we need but don't deserve at all

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Yeah I like Gambhir too.
He is very honest , hard working and passionate guy from whatever I heard about him

Gambhir has a good eye for talent too.
The kind of man we need but don't deserve at allemoji22.png

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

Yes Lt. James Gordon.:--D

Edited by Khota

Gambhir is not a class act.But he is quite an interesting character. Straight forward. No bullsh!tting.

Regarding his underachievement, damn who cares about stats ? Those are just numbers. He won us two world cups (two class innings in the finals). Only other player who had more impact than him in winning us the two World cups is Yuvi. That is quite a great achievement than piling runs in bilateral OdIs or tests.

Edited by Pollack
2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I can understand his POV but I disagree with him completely. India Vs Pakistan is the marquee class in cricket and if we don't gave bilateral relations - cricket will be restricted to a few important series /cups and leagues like IPL will have their importance exaggerated than it already is. 

Bilateral game with Pakistan does no good for India.