Match Thread: India Vs Hong Kong | 4th Match| Group A, Asia Cup at Dubai | Sep 18 2018

tweaker

formidable India will be aiming to make short work of minnows Hong Kong in their Asia Cup opener.

Squads

India: Rohit Sharma (captain), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Ambati Rayudu, Manish Pandey, Kedar Jadhav, MS Dhoni (wk), Hardik Pandya, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Shardul Thakur, Dinesh Karthik, Khaleel Ahmed.

Hong Kong: Anshuman Rath (captain), Aizaz Khan, Babar Hayat, Cameron McAulson, Christopher Carter, Ehsan Khan, Ehsan Nawaz, Arshad Mohammed, Kinchit Shah, Nadeem Ahmed, Raag Kapur, Scott McKehnie, Tanvir Ahmed, Tanvir Afzal, Waqas Khan, Aftab Hussain.

Edited by tweaker

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24710733/nobody-likes-dropped-brought-back-rohit-sharma

On the bowling front, India could field a debutant. Jasprit Bumrah hardly bowled at the nets, while Bhuvneshwar Kumar was just bowling off a few paces. Khaleel Ahmed and Shardul Thakur however, bowled at full intensity.

Khaleel, in particular, has been talked about for a while for the pace and hard lengths he hits with his left-arm variety. Apart from calling him into the nets, the team management has fielded him on India A tours all season to give him a taste of top-flight cricket.

"I am quite excited about Khaleel," he said. "Of course he's a great variation to squad. Also, he generates quite a bit of pace. He's young, quite talented, and can swing the ball as well at the same time. I am looking forward to him playing and doing well for the country. From whatever I've seen of him, he can get batsmen into trouble. I can surely say that. He's got a great skillset, it's just a matter of going out there and doing it. Of course, he has not played a game so he'll be quite nervous but again he's got all the tools that are required to play at the highest level."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8532/preview/1153246/hong-kong-vs-india-4th-match-group-a-asia-cup-2018-19

Given the 40-degree heat of Dubai, and the fact that they play Pakistan the day after meeting Hong Kong, India might choose to rest some of their first-choice players. That might mean a debut for the left-arm quick Khaleel Ahmed. "Excited to see Khaleel play," Rohit Sharma said in the pre-match press conference. "He's got what it takes. Pace, swing. Personally looking forward to him doing well."

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.crictracker.com/asia-cup-2018-skipper-rohit-sharma-excited-about-khaleel-ahmed/amp/

Rohit Sharma spoke on the probable players his team could feature in this campaign and particularly stressed on youngster Khaleel Ahmed who got his maiden India call-up.

Ahmed, a left-arm medium bowler, was seen bowling in the nets with full intensity along with Shardul Thakur while the seasoned Jasprit Bumrah and Bhuvneshwar Kumar bowled less and that hinted at the Men in Blue fielding a debutant in their opening campaign

Ahmed though has played just two first-class and 17 List A games since his debut in 2017, he excelled with the ball for India ‘A’ in England taking eight wickets from five games. He also took seven wickets in four matches for India ‘A’ in a quadrangular series played at home thereafter. The bowler has been in news for some time for his pace and hard lengths and could soon taste international cricket.

“I am quite excited about Khaleel. Of course, he’s a great variation to the squad. Also, he generates quite a bit of pace. He’s young, quite talented, and can swing the ball as well at the same time. I am looking forward to him playing and doing well for the country,” Sharma was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo.

From whatever I’ve seen of him, he can get batsmen into trouble. I can surely say that. He’s got a great skillset, it’s just a matter of going out there and doing it. Of course, he has not played a game so he’ll be quite nervous but again he’s got all the tools that are required to play at the highest level,” he added.

Ahmed has 28 wickets in 17 List A matches at an average of 22.50 and two wickets in as many first-class games at an average of 90.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/m.timesofindia.com/sports/cricket/asia-cup/aim-is-to-identify-batsmen-for-slot-number-4-and-6-rohit-sharma/amp_articleshow/65843731.cms

India captain Rohhit Sharma

on Monday admitted that the team's middle-order is still fluid and their objective will be to identify players for the number four and six slot during the 

Asia Cup

However, the problem for India during the past one year is the lack of a settled middle-order, which was evident during the recent ODI series defeat in England.

"Lot of spots are up for grabs like Nos 3, 4 and 6. All these guys (Kedar, Manish, Rayudu) are eyeing for those slots. We want to give chances to as many guys for this particular series. In this tournament, we need to seal the batting slot Nos 4 and 6," Rohit said on the eve of the lung opener against Hong Kong.

Rohit's answer was an indication that Mahendra Singh Dhoni will bat at number five.