Wow...Afg team has improved miles...

gakgupta

So good to see this team playing professional Cricket...

There was a time, where every player use to slog from right go and very rarely use to play the complete quota of 50 overs

Now, it is a different team all together. There is a approach to their batting.

It is still a long way before they start winning consistently. But definetly, we can put SL, Bang and Afg ODI teams in the same basket

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

Experience matters.  Coaching matters, too.  

Looking at their list of coaches above, only Phil Simmons is a somewhat accomplished cricketer (even he has a test average of 22, but played 140+ ODIs).  Langeveldt was serviceable and their batting coach is a complete unknown.  If we went further back in their history, their improvement seemed to start under Lalchand Rajput.  

Which brings me to my other point:  Often, we wrongly get caught up in the cricketing accomplishments of the coaches.  I've heard things like "this guy has a 25.00 test average, yeh kya sikhayega batting?"  Well, great players don't always make great coaches, and often, fringe players make great coaches.  Guys like Kumble and Shastri were successful international cricketers, but either lack management skills (AK) or analytical skills (RJS). OTOH, Chandrakant Pandit was a mediocre international cricketer but has proven coaching credentials, and IMO, would make a great national coach - if our star players would respect him for his **coaching** abilities.  While lacking a bit in natural ability, guys like Pandit and Rajput scrapped and clawed their way to maximize their potential and can share valuable knowledge.  But our culture won't give them a chance because it refuses to recognize that cricketing success and coaching success require vastly different skill-sets. 

Edited by Brainfade
10 hours ago, Brainfade said:

Experience matters.  Coaching matters, too.  

Looking at their list of coaches above, only Phil Simmons is a somewhat accomplished cricketer (even he has a test average of 22, but played 140+ ODIs).  Langeveldt was serviceable and their batting coach is a complete unknown.  If we went further back in their history, their improvement seemed to start under Lalchand Rajput.  

Which brings me to my other point:  Often, we wrongly get caught up in the cricketing accomplishments of the coaches.  I've heard things like "this guy has a 25.00 test average, yeh kya sikhayega batting?"  Well, great players don't always make great coaches, and often, fringe players make great coaches.  Guys like Kumble and Shastri were successful international cricketers, but either lack management skills (AK) or analytical skills (RJS). OTOH, Chandrakant Pandit was a mediocre international cricketer but has proven coaching credentials, and IMO, would make a great national coach - if our star players would respect him for his **coaching** abilities.  While lacking a bit in natural ability, guys like Pandit and Rajput scrapped and clawed their way to maximize their potential and can share valuable knowledge.  But our culture won't give them a chance because it refuses to recognize that cricketing success and coaching success require vastly different skill-sets. 

Whilst I agree with virtually everything you say I disagree with your analysis of Lal Rajput . It was because he didn't scrap and claw that he didn't play more for India, he was as an opener much like Rahul today with every stroke in the book and liked to show off those strokes which on many occasions were his downfall where less naturally talented batsmen moved ahead of him in the pecking order for India during the 80's 

9 hours ago, Pace90 said:

Physio is working hard and result is showing that, they have the fittest WK in the work, even fitter than Pakistani WK.

It an *extraordinary* piece of work in the field which broke the Imam-ul-Haq/Harris Sohail partnership and allowed for a close match in the first place. Otherwise, Pakistan would've breezed past - much like Scotland in the World Cup Qualifier (Calum McLeod hammered Rashid Khan and Mujeeb Zadran to score 158*, though unlike Imam-ul-Haq, I don't think he read any of the variations -- McLeod's modus operandi seems to be to go right back and read it off the pitch, and sweep anything fuller).

3 hours ago, abc said:

It an *extraordinary* piece of work in the field which broke the Imam-ul-Haq/Harris Sohail partnership and allowed for a close match in the first place. Otherwise, Pakistan would've breezed past - much like Scotland in the World Cup Qualifier (Calum McLeod hammered Rashid Khan and Mujeeb Zadran to score 158*, though unlike Imam-ul-Haq, I don't think he read any of the variations -- McLeod's modus operandi seems to be to go right back and read it off the pitch, and sweep anything fuller).

Callum says he did read him out of the hand .

17 hours ago, Yamima Shaheen said:

Credit goes to Inzi for turning around Afghans when he was their coach. Before Inzi Afghans were just like Bangladesh and threw away wickets and had no sense of batting with responsibility.

Nope he did not do much..so let go..very poor overall. They regressed a bit under him. All due to lalchand rajput and coming to India.