Team management explained what they expect of me - Rahul

SK_IH

"The team management has sat me down and explained exactly what they expect out of me. I needed to know personally also, to kind of prepare and know in which direction I'm heading," Rahul said after making a 60 off 66 balls as an opener against Afghanistan. "Whenever I don't get a chance, I use my time to work on my skill and improve my fitness. The amount of cricket we play, the number of days we're on the road, it's hard to keep fit. When I don't play, it's easy to sulk and ask the same question: 'Why am I not playing?' But I try to use the time to improve my skill, get better with my fitness and make the most of it when I get a chance."

Rahul was clear he wasn't comfortable in the middle order, but insisted he would do what the team asked of him, even if it meant batting outside his comfort zone. "Look, it's been challenging of course to bat in different positions, and some positions which I haven't been comfortable with," he said. "I've always batted at the top of the order from junior cricket, that's the most comfortable position for me. But in a team sport, you need to be flexible and whatever responsibility the team gives you. You need to put your hand up and try to do the best you can. Unfortunately, for me, the chances I've got in the middle order haven't really gone my way. Again, I just look to keep working hard, keep improving my game and whatever opportunities I get, I try to give it my best shot."

Source : http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24798441/team-management-explained-expect-kl-rahul

We need him in the middle order. He needs to understand that slow bowlers will make life difficult. However he should be able to calculate when the Power play will come into play and how he ensures that he has his wicket in the PP to make any ammends in S/R.

Not only that a middle order batsman should also know how many overs a weaker bowler must be bowled so that everything sums up to 50 overs. For me middle order batsman should have a brain which can calculate and calculate as good as opposing captain. Sometime, that calculation may go wrong because some delivery got your name written on it.

So he needs to train his brain. He has all the cricketing skill. But brain needs to switch on too.

Edited by mishra
16 minutes ago, Moochad said:

It is easier to bat in the middle order, so long as he can rotate the strike, so he should embrace the chance to be a #4. He has the better talent for that position as well because he can provide the 6 hitting ability the middle order needs. 

Wish he got a century yesterday, that was how he could've supplanted Rayudu for 4

Why would he take that risk when management isn't even ready to give him a full series at no4 .He might get dropped from the squad if he has 2 failures.

It's the job of the captain to assure him that he will still get oppurtunities at the opening if he fails at no. 4.

That hasn't happened .

Kohli has failed at this job ,we needed a Ganguly for this ,who made Sehwag I to an opener from the middle order spot.

Unfortunately we don't have Ganguly as captain

4 minutes ago, RAZPOR said:

Why would he take that risk when management isn't even ready to give him a full series at no4 .He might get dropped from the squad if he has 2 failures.

It's the job of the captain to assure him that he will still get oppurtunities at the opening if he fails at no. 4.

That hasn't happened .

Kohli has failed at this job ,we needed a Ganguly for this ,who made Sehwag I to an opener from the middle order spot.

Unfortunately we don't have Ganguly as captain

That is the same for all who we are trying in the middle order though, Pandey, Rahul, Rayudu, DK. Only Jadhav seems to have seized the chances he got so far, that too b/c he is such a handy bowler.  We have too many options, the think tank should have zeroed in on max 2 players by now. Kohli failed in giving players no settled position to bat, but Rahul doesn't deserve a promise or anything to get to open if he fails. We are already settled at opener, if he wants to break through it has to be at 4. If he fails there he needs to do better. 

The good thing is all probables have proved their worth.

Jadhav with the ball.

Rayudu 3 fifties

Rahul a 60 in only chance

DK decent middle order knocks . Only mistake would be of getting out to HK in 30s. 

Dhoni has failed lot more.

I have seen so many articles today questioning dhonis place today. So looks like the retirement is imminent .

17 minutes ago, Moochad said:

That is the same for all who we are trying in the middle order though, Pandey, Rahul, Rayudu, DK. Only Jadhav seems to have seized the chances he got so far, that too b/c he is such a handy bowler.  We have too many options, the think tank should have zeroed in on max 2 players by now. Kohli failed in giving players no settled position to bat, but Rahul doesn't deserve a promise or anything to get to open if he fails. We are already settled at opener, if he wants to break through it has to be at 4. If he fails there he needs to do better. 

No one deserves anything in international cricket.

But that's not how you make a team,if your players keep doubting Thier place in the team they ll never be able to play Thier natural game.

Read up a bit on how Ganguly made Sehwag an opener ,Sehwag has an interview somewhere where he explains all this.

Same with Kaif and yuvraj.

That's how you make a team.Even Dhoni took a stance to get seniors out of the LOI team early on in his career.Kohli has been meek in team building and still looks upto Dhoni to take decisions,not the way forward to make a great team.

Edited by RAZPOR