BCCI vs PCB at the ICC Disputes Resolution Committee, Is the decision fixed to screw BCCI?

3 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Tbh $70 million of that is the right figure  sounds like chump change for BCCI.

you see this all the time, corporates just payoff lawsuits with nuisance value to avoid more expenses in the long run.

70 mm is not chump change.  Especially not in India.  I expect a judgement in favor of Pakistan which it can use to pressure BCCI into resuming bilateral cricket so that it will settle its current claim.  

10 minutes ago, sandeep said:

70 mm is not chump change.  Especially not in India.  I expect a judgement in favor of Pakistan which it can use to pressure BCCI into resuming bilateral cricket so that it will settle its current claim.  

I understand. However PCB’s only credible  point seems to be the return series that India did not play after they toured us in 2013. 

If $70 million gets them of BCCI’s back on that account and then things go back to being BAU that is no more bi lateral series, than in the long run paying them off or coming to a settlement doesn’t seem like a bad idea.

Anyways We do not have all the inticracies of what was signed between the 2 boards or neither are we legal experts. I am just speaking from a very high level.

It is common for the person who is pursuing the legal action to ask for the moon, in this case PCB. I am in fact surprised that at the low numbers they are quoting. BCCI is closing billion dollar deals and if they can just get rid off this nuisance by paying them  off doesn’t seem like a bad idea.

This is not about right or wrong and ethics. I have seen people suing large corporates for the silliest of reasons and the corporates just coming to a settlement to avoid nuisance and legal fees and even PR.

Edited by Global.Baba
14 hours ago, Pace90 said:

India needs to invent some new tricks, this " our bilateral matter" will not work any more, whether its Kashmir or cricket. When you don;t want to resolve the issue with one to one talk  to Pakistan then this not a "bilateral matte"  anymore, someone else needs to step in. 

ahh what...who will step in ? between Kashmir and India..?

10 hours ago, Yamima Shaheen said:

India has full right to not play Pakistan but you cannot get away with not playing after signing contracts. I dont know how things works in third world countries but here in US, you are bound to pay compensation if you violate legally binding contracts.

lol 

look here is a pakistani who goes to US ( where he is not wanted) and then pretends he is american and India is third word.  pakistan is underworld :laugh:

Just now, Global.Baba said:

@sandeep btw not saying to payoff the entire $70 mn but that doesn’t  seem like a bad   figure on which the negotiations can start.

but if it is just a letter of intent which had clear contingency set to a formal contract, then BCCI will not pay anything. Meaning, they had a MOU and signed a letter of intent to tour but said the tour and related expenses are contingent on signing of a formal contract. Then PCB will get this.

15764122-funny-egg.jpg

5 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

@sandeep btw not saying to payoff the entire $70 mn but that doesn’t  seem like a bad   figure on which the negotiations can start.

Why should there be any negotiations.  Profits from an Indian bilateral tour are not some baap ki jaagir  that PCB is entitled to.  Sure they want it, because its a lot of money.  Sure, they negotiated a MoU - one that required Pakistan to support the big 3 re-shuffle - an administrative re-organization that Pakistan subsequently voted to undo.  In any court of law, their position is laughable.  But we aren't talking about law and courts - we are talking about a random ad-hoc committee appointed by vested interests and operating for the benefit of those interests.  

14 minutes ago, Vilander said:

did you read any material ? 

it looks like they are saying there was  a letter of intent -> question is how was it worded.

MOU will not stand.

I think you are missing the point that the "committee" that's going to decide this isn't exactly a court of law..

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

In any court of law, their position is laughable.  But we aren't talking about law and courts - we are talking about a random ad-hoc committee appointed by vested interests and operating for the benefit of those interests.  

6 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I think you are missing the point that the "committee" that's going to decide this isn't exactly a court of law..

but then has BCCI would have dispute redressal mechanism available. It would be indeed laughable if BCCI would just give off 70 mil $ to pak based on some committees decision..that would be a travesty.

19 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Why should there be any negotiations.  Profits from an Indian bilateral tour are not some baap ki jaagir  that PCB is entitled to.  Sure they want it, because its a lot of money.  Sure, they negotiated a MoU - one that required Pakistan to support the big 3 re-shuffle - an administrative re-organization that Pakistan subsequently voted to undo.  In any court of law, their position is laughable.  But we aren't talking about law and courts - we are talking about a random ad-hoc committee appointed by vested interests and operating for the benefit of those interests.  

You are missing the point. People get settlements out of burning themselves from restaurant food/coffee. That doesn’t mean they deserve it.

Just like any corporate paying out a guy looking for an easy $$$ to avoid nuisance, I won’t be surprised if BCCI just settles this matter by throwing some money rather than fighting it out.

If BCCI does that, I would understand as long as it is  only a monetary settlement. 

PCB will run through that money like a fat guy at a buffet. Their existence depends on series with India. As long as it is a payoff to get them off the back it is ok.

You are talking from a perspective of  of principles and ethics as to why we should pay them. Which is all good.

Sometimes it is better to just come out of it with a little loss is better than fighting it out and wasting resources. 

Sure I would like to see Pak not getting a single dime nor a series. It doesn’t look realistic so a payoff might be the best bet.

Edited by Global.Baba
1 minute ago, Vilander said:

but then has BCCI would have dispute redressal mechanism available. It would be indeed laughable if BCCI would just give off 70 mil $ to pak based on some committees decision..that would be a travesty.

There is no "dispute redressal mechanism".  ICC has already announced that the verdict of the committee "cannot be appealed". They just haven't announced the decision, because you know, they need to go through the charade of a committee "reviewing the issue".  

BCCI is cornered.  Since they can't appeal the verdict, the only option left is to get angry and get into an open conflict against the ICC - that will give more ammunition to the Giles Clarke faction who will turn to the other member boards, point at BCCI and say - "Look, you need to support us, or Indian board is a bully who doesn't accept the judgement of the ICC".    They will push for even more "reforms" within the ICC, where all the other boards will continue to reduce the freedom of individual member boards over their own schedules.   

This is basic corporate game of thrones 101.  

The biggest weapon that the BCCI has in terms of its power at the ICC is not its 'market'.  Its the power to control how many India games it can offer to another board on a bilateral tour.  Currently outside of Eng/Aus, all the other boards are financing their cricket across multiple years based on their earnings from Indian bilateral tours and ICC revenue shares.  This gives BCCI a good amount of clout.  The last round of ICC "reforms" diluted the BCCI's power by adding proxy votes that will be controlled by the ICC - "women's cricket director" gets a vote, ICC Corporate admin gets a vote etc.  Next step was to create a mandatory schedule for ODIs and test - the new-fangled "test championship" etc.  

Next step will be a big push to "pool" the revenue from those individual games instead of directly accruing for the hosts.  This way, all countries will be getting a cut of all India tours to all countries.  It won't be easy to pass such a "reform" at the ICC.  Why should the BCCI agree to such an idea - its basically robbing Paresh to pay all the Pauls.  So it becomes necessary to paint BCCI as the big bad evil that is impeding the progress of all that's good in Cricket.  A lot of the groundwork for this is already done.  

The end-game here is greater control of the revenues generated by international cricket for the ICC.  Pakistan is just a willing pawn that is playing the cards for its own purposes.  

Right now, the ICC has very little control over the money generated by International cricket, or the calendar of International cricket.  Outside of the World Cups, and the now defunct champions trophy - the member boards were free to do their own scheduling.  

"For the good of cricket", the ICC badly wants to change this so that they control as much of the schedule and money from international cricket games as possible.  

BCCI has a massive uphill fight on its hands, especially with the restructured voting in the ICC.  Instead of fighting this major challenge, the BCCI is busy with a civil war within.  It badly needs some strong, capable leadership that can focus on this issue.  It is rudderless at a crucial time.  This is why I have nothing but disgust for the Lodha committee.  They may have had noble intentions and their hearts in the right place - but the outcome is not in the benefit of Indian cricket.  As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Dave Richardson: " Its matter between India and Pakistan. We would like resumption of Cricket on bilaterla basis. 

We will facilitate any settlement decision if we can. Other that that, Its between the two nations".

My take: Not just MoU letter, Even decision itself is not worth toilet paper. ICC cant/wont do anything. India doesnt need to even discuss this in whatever Wherever Pakistanis are sitting

1 minute ago, mishra said:

Dave Richardson: " Its matter between India and Pakistan. We would like resumption of Cricket on bilaterla basis. 

We will facilitate any settlement decision if we can. Other that that, Its between the two nations".

My take: Not just MoU letter, Even decision itself is not worth toilet paper. ICC cant/wont do anything. India doesnt need to even discuss this in whatever Wherever Pakistanis are sitting

If that were really true, then ICC would not have made the decision to set up a committee that will render a final "non-appealable" ruling on this "matter between India and Pakistan".  

ICC can and will do a lot more than "anything".  ICC already pulled the chair out from under the BCCI last year.  They know that they only have a short window of a year or so before the BCCI's internal troubles go away and it is able to organize a more robust defense in the ICC board room.  They need to move as quickly as possible and maximize their control of the international game, while they can.  The ICC can and will claim that a ruling in favor of the PCB is a demonstration of its support of the 'little guy'.  Its a signal to the South Africa, West Indies, NZ boards to cast their lot and vote with the current ruling faction and get behind their agenda.   BCCI has only 2 votes it can count on as of now - Afghanistan and Sri Lanka.  That's not going to be enough to stop the bull-dozing of further "reforms".

2 minutes ago, mishra said:

^ ok, how can ICC enforce 70 million payout?

I think BCCI will soon giveup on ICC tourneys and only play say WC and send Indian teams in ACC tourneys only

They don't have to enforce anything.  Its a heads I win, tails you lose situation - If the BCCI does not accept the ruling of the "independent" committee, that makes the Giles Clarke Faction's argument stronger to push for more ICC "reforms".  

You can't realistically threaten to withdraw out of the ICC - that's a nuclear weapon.  In the face of a verdict against it, BCCI cannot argue that the Indian Govt won't allow it comply - because by its own words, its a private body not under jurisdiction of the government.  

9 minutes ago, sandeep said:

They don't have to enforce anything.  Its a heads I win, tails you lose situation - If the BCCI does not accept the ruling of the "independent" committee, that makes the Giles Clarke Faction's argument stronger to push for more ICC "reforms".  

You can't realistically threaten to withdraw out of the ICC - that's a nuclear weapon.  In the face of a verdict against it, BCCI cannot argue that the Indian Govt won't allow it comply - because by its own words, its a private body not under jurisdiction of the government.  

If Induan Governments permission was part of MoU, ICC can not do anything.

I think GoI do not want BCCI to be fully out of Central Government's control. Reason being, BCCI is still cash cow to Congress and may be NCP

If Induan Governments permission was part of MoU, ICC can not do anything.
I think GoI do not want BCCI to be fully out of Central Government's control. Reason being, BCCI is still cash cow to Congress and may be NCP

Don't know about the money thing and the outcome but bjp government decides a lot of these bilateral stuff .
I know they're private but Indian Government can take decisions - and does take a lot of decisions regarding relationships and larger aspects like organising..
Money going to PCB=Terror Funding
As far as I know, BJP is looking into opportunities to control BCCI -which is mostly Congress+ biased.
And many of the old BCCI office bearers are not willing lose face and influence so are against this.
And given the anti-Pakistan backlash, I won't be surprised if BJP will let go of this opportunity to get BCCI under its wings and simultaneously show to the world that they CARE.
Even if they don't at first, they'll be forced by public pressure since BCCI "represents" India, and there is too much at stake in terms of power capture too.
Don't think Anurag Thakur will let go off this opportunity.

Yes, BCCI is a non-governmental entity, but it's pseudo-controlled by political parties who wish to fulfil their agendas.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk