Mayank Agarwal opens up on the experience of being selected into the Indian side

Switchblade

https://www.crictracker.com/mayank-agarwal-opens-up-on-the-experience-of-being-selected-into-the-indian-side/

It must have been a proud day for young Mayank Agarwal and his parents on Saturday (September 29) as his name was announced in the squad selected for the upcoming Test series against the Windies. The 27-year old is still taking his time to let the news sink in and his phone just doesn’t seem to stop ringing ever since the news of his inclusion has come through.

lg.php?bannerid=0&campaignid=0&zoneid=41

The squad was announced where Agarwal will be rubbing shoulders with the very best of the game, including Indian skipper Virat Kohli, Cheteshwar Pujara, Mohammad Shami and Umesh Yadav. The young man has scored 723 runs in the Vijay Hazare Trophy this year, thereby successfully drawing the selectors’ attention towards himself.

Mayank Agarwal shares his insights on how he made it

As reported by The Indian Express, Agarwal spoke at length on his feelings after being drafted into the Indian national side. On being asked if the news has hit home by now, he said, “I switched on news channel and saw it on TV. Acha laga, but the problem is that my phone has not stopped ringing. Actually, our coach (BP XI) Abhay Sharma had told me earlier but I waited for a confirmation. I’m looking forward to the Test series.

I spoke to my parents, my mother wasn’t able to control her emotions. Also, I called up Karnataka captain Vinay Kumar to thank him for backing me when I was about to be dropped from the Ranji team a few years ago. In the next game, I scored 300-odd runs and have not looked back since.”

As someone who’d had to keep his focus in spite of not being selected into the national side in the last one year, Mayank Agarwal shared his insights on how he kept himself motivated. “Rahul bhai (Dravid) told me to focus on what I can control and to be in the present. He told me if I keep performing then what is bound to happen will happen. I always believed that hard work would pay finally.

He told me that I have a good work ethic and when someone like Rahul bhai tells you that you are going in the right direction it means a lot. Everyone needs someone senior as a guide and I am thankful that he was there for me,” said Agarwal.