I would like to see KL Rahul playing the World Cup: Kapil Dev

Switchblade

https://www.crictracker.com/i-would-like-to-see-kl-rahul-playing-the-world-cup-kapil-dev/

Team India won the Asia Cup by beating Bangladesh in a nail-biting final in Dubai and have announced themselves ahead of the World Cup. In the absence of Virat Kohli, the team did well and proved that they are not dependent only on him. Meanwhile, the victories were once again architected by the openers Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma due to which the third opener KL Rahul had to warm the bench. However, Kapil Dev is pretty excited about the youngster and has backed him to be part of the World Cup squad.

lg.php?bannerid=0&campaignid=0&zoneid=41

Rahul played only a solitary game in the Asia Cup against Afghanistan and scored an eye-catching half-century opening the innings along with Ambati Rayudu. Though he was guilty of throwing his wicket away to Rashid Khan in an attempt to play a needless reverse sweep. Despite batting well, he had to make way for the regular players in the final.

He can play in the middle-order

Kapil Dev, while speaking to The Telegraph, opined that the team management has to find a way to include KL Rahul in the playing XI often. He felt there is a still a lot of time to go for World Cup and the talented batsman could be accommodated in the middle-order if not at the top.

“I’d like Rahul to be playing and it would be good if he figures in the World Cup. There are still eight months between now and the tournament, so there’s time for the team management to work things out. If Rahul is not going to open, he can still find a place in the middle order. After all, with the advent of the T20 game, I wouldn’t say there are fixed positions for batsmen,” he said.

It remains to be seen if either of Rohit or Dhawan are rested for the upcoming ODI series against Windies and Rahul is made to open for the whole series in order to test his temperament.

Surprising that most of us and experts are calling him to play in the eleven yet he is benched most of the time and even Shoaib Akhtar said that he is India's best batsman who has not played yet in the Asia cup when we played Pakistan last week.