Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

I6MTW

1 hour ago, Stradlater said:

2nd GREATEST singer to emerge out of Subcontinent after Lata ji.

Kishor and Rafi are jointly tied in the third place.

I actually rate Nusrat higher than lata ji and even higher than the Carnatic singers of the south. He had a higher octave vocal range and ability. 

4 hours ago, dial_100 said:

he was a sufi singer. totally serene music. I would also rate him above LM.

True, but he could sing other genres like ghazals, hamds, naats, nasheeds etc, and he was well trained in Hindustani music, he could sing in various different ragas and pitches, purely classical, he was no less than bhimsen Joshi and bade Ghulam Ali Khan. His voice had a six octave vocal ranges. One of the highest there is.

4 hours ago, I6MTW said:

True, but he could sing other genres like ghazals, hamds, naats, nasheeds etc, and he was well trained in Hindustani music, he could sing in various different ragas and pitches, purely classical, he was no less than bhimsen Joshi and bade Ghulam Ali Khan. His voice had a six octave vocal ranges. One of the highest there is.

Oh I know that very well. 

On 10/2/2018 at 1:27 AM, I6MTW said:

I actually rate Nusrat higher than lata ji and even higher than the Carnatic singers of the south. He had a higher octave vocal range and ability. 

Are you just throwing around blank statements just like that  or do you even actually   listen to Carnatic and  even Hindustani music ?

Nusrat Ali was a great musician no doubt but you probably know him and his work either because of Bally Sagoo remixes or Bollywood going full gooey eyed for yet another Padosi tailunt 

Edited by Global.Baba

On what criteria  is Lata Mangeshkar India’s greatest singer. Yes she is the most recognizable and the most famous one. 

That is no different from  saying Govinda or Hrithik are the greatest dancers produced by India ingnoring all the other classical dance arts.

Yes Lata Mangeshkar might have the case for being the greatest Indian film singer ever that’s about it.

3 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Are you just throwing around blank statements just like that  or do you even actually   listen to Carnatic and  even Hindustani music ?

Nusrat Ali was a great musician no doubt but you probably know him and his work either because of Bally Sagoo remixes or Bollywood going full gooey eyed for yet another Padosi tailunt 

I know Carnatic music. You don't have to tell me about it. It originated from purandara dasa from my state Karnataka. And I have listened to the Carnatic stalwarts like Balamurali Krishna, Yesudas, Nithyashree Mahadevan, os arun etc.

As for Hindustani, I have listened to pandit bhimsen Joshi, bade Ghulam Ali Khan, etc. Now I know very well about Nusrat Fateh ali Khan, and I have been listening to him before all these Bollywood remixes. I have seen his live performances and recordings on YouTube. Ik for a fact that Nusrat possessed one of the widest vocal ranges ranging from extreme high to low. He had a six octave vocal range. Most musicians don't even cross 3 or 4. He was well versed in Hindustani music and could perform various different raagas such as raaga darbari, deepak, saraswati, durga etc. He would go on for minutes when he performed a raaga. So I know what is said when I made that comment. You should listen to his live performances they are much different than the recorded versions in studio.

I don't rate lata mangeshkar as indias greatest singer. She might have a case as well as rafi(probably more so) but it is impossible to judge who is India's greatest singer because of the different styles and art forms of singing there is.

You cannot compare a classical singer and a film singer.

And you cannot compare a classical singer with a rock , jazz, pop, or even western classical/opera singer. Both are different styles, while one may find it easier to learn these after learning Indian classical(since it is one of the more difficult forms) but that doesn't mean one can sing everything after learning Indian classical. This is a common myth which I don't agree.

Edited by I6MTW

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDDY0M6ToUI

Pt. Bhimsen Joshi & Balmurlikrishna - Jugalbandi - Yaman & Malkauns

This is just insane. Pt. Bhimsen Joshi :bow: 

Indeed. Both Bhimsen Joshi and Balmurlikrishna were great vocalists. Only thing I didnt like about BJ that he was alcoholic.

Here is my favorite of him. 

Singing is pure art and it is just not about being technical about singing but also connecting with your audience. When someone is intoxicated then that connection is lost. Nonetheless, he was amazing singer and nobody can take it away from him.

Edited by dial_100