BCCI brought under RTI

The Central Information Commission (CIC) on Monday brought Indian Cricket governing body BCCI under the Right to Information (RTI) act.

The commission also directed BCCI to put online and offline mechanisms in place within 15 days to receive RTI queries.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/bcci-brought-under-rti-act-by-central-information-commission-1353613-2018-10-01?utm_campaign=fullarticle&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=inshorts

BCCI needs to broker a permanent deal with the government so that it can avoid its ultimate nightmare scenario - coming under the authority of the sports ministry of India.  This is the reason why BCCI is dead set against making cricket an Olympics sport.  The law is clear and unambiguous - all olympic sports are under the ultimate jurisdiction of the GoI.  

BCCI needs to broker a permanent deal with the government so that it can avoid its ultimate nightmare scenario - coming under the authority of the sports ministry of India.  This is the reason why BCCI is dead set against making cricket an Olympics sport.  The law is clear and unambiguous - all olympic sports are under the ultimate jurisdiction of the GoI.  
Indian Government Is actively looking into taking over BCCI so that they can print money from it.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

@sandeep There is no question of brokering a deal with the BCCI. All the necessary legal hurdles aside, the BCCI must fall within the ambit of the RTI. For a long time now, the BCCI as an entity have grabbed various government lands under the pretext of promoting cricket and have turned them into commercial establishments. On these establishments , for the longest of time, the BCCI refused to pay tax citing losses. BCCI officials along with people from the I&B ministry are complicit in undercutting bids and passing inside information to organizations that they wish to hand over the TV rights; for the India, India A, IPL etc games. I could go on here.

The financials have to come to the fore. I don't care how many world cups India has won because of their efforts and how wonderful the rags to riches the BCCI story sounds, I'd rather have them accountable for their spends and get the land that they have encroached upon back into the GoI fold. 

Having said that, being under the Sports Authority of India may not be such a good thing after all. But that has nothing to with the BCCI falling under the ambit of the RTI.

Edited by Mariyam
[mention=286]sandeep[/mention] There is no question of brokering a deal with the BCCI. All the necessary legal hurdles aside, the BCCI must fall within the ambit of the RTI. For a long time now, the BCCI as an entity have grabbed various government lands under the pretext of promoting cricket and have turned them into commercial establishments. On these establishments , for the longest of time, the BCCI refused to pay tax citing losses. BCCI officials along with people from the I&B ministry are complicit under cutting bids and passing inside information to organizations that they wish to for the TV rights to India, India A, IPL etc games. I could go on here.

The financials have to come to the fore. I don't care how many world cups India has won because of their efforts and how wonderful the rags to riches the BCCI sounds. I'd rather have them accountable for their spends and get the land that they have encroached upon back into the GoI fold. 

Having said that, being under the Sports Authority of India may not be such a good thing after all. But that has nothing to with the BCCI falling under the ambit of the RTI.
BCCI is like a shady Umbrella corporation type. Yuck

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

@sandeep There is no question of brokering a deal with the BCCI. All the necessary legal hurdles aside, the BCCI must fall within the ambit of the RTI. For a long time now, the BCCI as an entity have grabbed various government lands under the pretext of promoting cricket and have turned them into commercial establishments. On these establishments , for the longest of time, the BCCI refused to pay tax citing losses. BCCI officials along with people from the I&B ministry are complicit in undercutting bids and passing inside information to organizations that they wish to hand over the TV rights; for the India, India A, IPL etc games. I could go on here.

The financials have to come to the fore. I don't care how many world cups India has won because of their efforts and how wonderful the rags to riches the BCCI story sounds, I'd rather have them accountable for their spends and get the land that they have encroached upon back into the GoI fold. 

I don't disagree with you.  I'm just saying that its unlikely that the BCCI is simply going to hand over control to the GoI.  Look at how the Lodha reforms panned out.  The BCCI actually defied a verdict of the highest law of the land.  And came out standing.  

And as you said, its not ideal to see cricket become a govt administered sport either.  Which is why I suggested that the BCCI make a long-term deal with the current admin - accepting nominal suzerainty of the government, while steering clear of govt "minister" interference, and creating some firewall to prevent future meddling as well.  

I don't want to get into political tangents, and far from a BJP supporter, but imho its better for the BCCI to give up some power and make a deal with this govt, as opposed to a Congress or other version.  But you need empowered stable leadership to make such a major change.  Current chaos and bureaucratic inertia means that the BCCI will instinctively dig in its heels and fight with a block-and-go-slow strategy, and that may not be in their best interest - or Indian cricket in general. 

@sandeep people fail to understand that Congress is out of the power. But system is still Congress.

Lodha was just purely calculated legal move to Remove People who arent part of Congress system.

A government can bring BCCi under its ambit in a snap, but Congress System will not accept it.

Who knows, how assets are bought, used, sold and how various rights are given or which companies are beneficiaries. RTI is least and must, GoI needs, specially if we have a past like Dawood, Pawar, Sahara. I dont think GoI needs to go any further, but RTI is must

Edited by mishra