Rishabh Pant honing his glovework under Kiran More’s guidance ahead of the Test series

https://www.crictracker.com/india-vs-windies-rishabh-pant-honing-his-glovework-under-kiran-mores-guidance-ahead-of-the-test-series/

The Indian cricket team has always had problems with finding a reliable man behind the stumps until MS Dhoni’s arrival. After the former skipper retired from Tests, Wriddhiman Saha took over and never made the fans miss the veteran’s presence on the field. However, with Saha injured, Team India was forced to fall back onto the Dinesh Karthik in the England tour who didn’t prove to be satisfactory and hence Rishabh Pant was roped in.

lg.php?bannerid=0&campaignid=0&zoneid=41

He is quite an exciting prospect with the bat and often takes the bowlers to the cleaners. But, his wicketkeeping was never regarded as high and it was evident why when he played in England. In six innings, the Delhi batsman has conceded as many as 76 byes (though many of them came due to the bowlers’ fault) which played a role in the team’s downfall. He also dropped a couple of catches which could’ve gone either way in the context of the match.

The turning tracks challenge awaits for the youngster

However, with his performances with the bat, the 20-year-old has sealed a place for himself in the side. He is currently working on his keeping aspects as well. It will not be easy donning the gloves on the turning tracks in India. Hence, Rishabh Pant, in an attempt to prove his critics wrong, is working hard honing his skills with the gloves at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bengaluru.

The BCCI is doing all it could do to turn the youngster into a vital cog in the Indian lineup keeping the future in mind. Pant was spotted practising hard on turning tracks with rough patches on it. On the request of head coach Ravi Shastri, former keeper Kiran More is looking after the 20-year-old’s progress.

Kiran More played 49 Tests and 94 ODIs for India. He was known for his lightning work behind the stumps and was also Ravi Shastri’s teammate. Pant was with More for three days and the left-hander worked on small technical aspects like balance, head-position and movement on the leg-side.

“More has been doing a lot of work with the NCA for the last three years, particularly with India’s Under-16, 19 and 23 keepers. So the BCCI has a fair idea of what he can offer. But this is the first time that he’s been directly asked to help the Indian keeper. It’s a specialized skill that he teaches. He has worked on Sanju Samson and Ishan Kishan too in the past,” said the Board insider according to the Times of India.

5 hours ago, Laaloo said:

I read here today that he only possess 20% of the wicket-keeping skills that dhoni possesses. So it will take I would say roughly 7 more years for Pant to get on dhonis level up to 100%. So keep on working hard. By 2025, you will be the first choice to replace Thalaiva :stickyman:

Current Pant reminds me Dravid ++ as keeper. No more. 

I want MSD to go, but I can't praise ordinary if we are looking to replace a ATG. There is just one MSD. Ince he is gone, We wont have another one. We accept it and moove on.

But Pant is young and he must work hard. 

Edited by mishra
22 minutes ago, WeStMiDz said:

I really don't think he is as bad keeping as people are making out. He has a few technical flaws with his footwork but his hands are very good. This series will give us a better indication. 

No, he has not much flaw. Problem is is bar set by MSD is too high. I will give two failed run out instances from Asia Cup.

There was a throw to Sarfaraz from covers/midoff zone. Sarfaraaz crosses stumps , gathers the ball in air from a couple of feets away from where his hand couldn't reach to stumps and then moves  towards stumps and breaks the stumps. While batsman tries to run just a fraction faster. Commentators says. Sarfaraaz should have actually thrown the ball to stumps and it would have been closer run out chance.

Now Compare that to Dhoni. Ball goes behind square leg. A quick throw couple of yards off stump. Dhoni doesnt do a Sarfraaz, He neither collect and throw the ball like what Commentator was mentioning . He uses his glove with action as if he is just going to catch the ball as run out isn't possible (batsman thinks he is out of danger and slows a bit) but Dhoni uses his glove like a bat to deflect the ball and ball hits the stump. 

I am not asking/expecting Pant to do what MSD did. But Pant should be able to do what Commies were mentioning in case of Sarfaraaz. I have faith that he will learn

Edited by mishra