Rahul's honeymoon period is over in tests

zen

Dhawan and Vijay in particular are out of equation at least for the time being. Rahul got a decent run and support in Eng. Now he is the senior opener in the company of Shaw and Agarwal .... and expected to be in the squad for the next few months 

He needed support in Eng, which he got from various quarters including from test cricket fans. Now his honeymoon period is basically over. Cannot survive on the talent label alone .... Has to bring his A game to the table and become consistent enough .... BOL 

Edited by zen
1 minute ago, UnknownGenius said:

As @UrmiSinhaRay says, Rahul is lucky he is in Kohli's group. He did not much to deserve to play ahead of Murali VJ. Yes he scored a hundred, but that was on the flattest of decks in a non consquential match.

I like Rahul and he deserves to open in ODI ahead of Rohit Sharma but his place ahead of VJ is confusing

:lol:

• Vijay is out of equation now and has only himself to blame. Plus time is not on his side 
  • Rohit-Dhawan partnership in LOIs has no question marks over it 
27 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Plus he should stop reviewing, team will take note of such things. Missed an opportunity on a flat pitch. Just a test after he redeemed himself in last test of Eng with a brilliant 100!

he consulted with shaw before reviewing ..

but if it was his decision its really poor , plumb  

Rahul was backed because he was expected to do better than struggling Dhawan and Vijay, along with the positive perception about his talent  .... but now the equation on paper would need to be matched by performances on field .... He has to show that he can be a long term opener for Ind by being consistent enough 

Edited by zen
17 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

KL Rahul has poor reliability factor. You just cannot trust him to bail you out every time. He has to develop consistency. I think Shubman Gill will be a better batsman than KL Rahul just based on the style of play. 

In future, the top 6 could look like below:

• Shaw
  • Agarwal / Rahul / .... 
  • Pujara
  • Kohli
  • Gill
  • Pant 
1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

Vihari will get his chances  before Gill for having fired up FC circuit with runs. If it's left to MSKPrasadgaadu, Dhawan will get another chance in Aus. 

There would be players who would get chances but eventually I guess the line-up could settle in to what I posted 

Really don't think he has the technique for an opener, even though I think he will for sure score well the otehr 3 innings of this series. Needs better defense for opening overseas. 

He needs to be moved to 3 or 5 to expand his career long term, especially if Rahane continues his decline or Pujara fails again in Aus. 

In fact, switching the two in the order can maybe get better from both. Rahane as opener and Rahul as 5. If I am correct Rahane opened for Mumbai some in Ranji?   

9 minutes ago, Moochad said:

Really don't think he has the technique for an opener, even though I think he will for sure score well the otehr 3 innings of this series. Needs better defense for opening overseas. 

He needs to be moved to 3 or 5 to expand his career long term, especially if Rahane continues his decline or Pujara fails again in Aus. 

In fact, switching the two in the order can maybe get better from both. Rahane as opener and Rahul as 5. If I am correct Rahane opened for Mumbai some in Ranji?   

Yes. there is an air of looseness about his batting. It looks out of the world when it comes off. Sehwag for all his uninhibited strokeplay had a method, technique to back it up. For starters, he just doesn't have a strong backfoot game. If anything Rohit sharma has a better backfoot game. Just that Rohit is a clown when the ball swings.