Pujara & Miandad

zen

Pujara is just 105 runs away from adding the 5k test runs feather to his cap.

Pujara is not Dravid. But if we have to compare him w/ someone, Miandad would be close. Both of them score heavily in home type conditions and make up for a lack of world class technique w/ grit. Like Miandad, Pujara is smart in creating innovative scoring angles especially when playing spin

Runs per inning (overall)

• Pujara: 46
  • Miandad: 47
  • Dravid: 46
  • Sachin: 48
  • Sehwag: 48
  • Richards: 47
  • Lara: 52
  • Sobers: 50

Innings per 100 (overall. Less = better):

• Pujara: 7
  • Miandad: 8 
  • Dravid: 8
  • Sachin: 6
  • Sehwag: 8
  • Richards: 8
  • Lara: 7
  • Sobers: 6

Innings per 100 at Home (Less = better):

• Pujara: 6
  • Miandad: 6
  • Sachin: 7
  • Sehwag: 7
  • Richards: 8
  • Sobers: 5

Innings per 100 at Away (Less = better)

• Pujara: 10
  • Miandad: 11
  • Sachin: 6
  • Sehwag: 9
  • Richards: 9
  • Sobers: 7

Performance in terms of Innings per 100:

• Pujara and Miandad are similar. At home, they are exceptional. Away, they are behind some of the best 

Edited by zen

Miandad is different gravy. He averaged 46+ in WENA (lol). Pujara is a million miles away from that. Funnily enough the closest comparison (despite the contrasting styles) is with Sehwag.

Sehwag in sub-continent: 6006 runs @ 58+ with 18 hundreds

Sehwag in SENA: 1788 runs @ 33+ with 4 hundreds

Pujara in sub-continent: 3489 runs @ 64+ with 13 hundreds

Pujara in SENA: 1172 runs @ 29+ with 2 hundreds

PS: Not counting runs vs BAN/ZIM/AFG.

Edited by Jimmy Cliff
5 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Miandad is different gravy. He averaged 46+ in WENA (lol). Pujara is a million miles away from that. Funnily enough the closest comparison (despite the contrasting styles) is with Sehwag.

Sehwag in sub-continent: 6006 runs @ 58+ with 18 hundreds

Sehwag in SENA: 1788 runs @ 33+ with 4 hundreds

Pujara in sub-continent: 3489 runs @ 64+ with 13 hundreds

Pujara in SENA: 1172 runs @ 29+ with 2 hundreds

PS: Not counting runs vs BAN/ZIM/AFG.

Among Pujara, Sehwag, Dravid, and Miandad, Sehwag would be my first pick. And in terms if SR he is in the league of his own. Dravid would be 2nd. But these four could make an interesting batting line up:

• Sehwag
  • Pujara
  • Dravid
  • Miandad 
11 minutes ago, zen said:

Among Pujara, Sehwag, Dravid, and Miandad, Sehwag would be my first pick. And in terms if SR he is in the league of his own. Dravid would be 2nd. But these four could make an interesting batting line up:

• Sehwag
  • Pujara
  • Dravid
  • Miandad 

Sehwag is the one I'd rather watch ahead of any of these guys and would be my no. 1 pick in Asia. But if I didn't know where the Test was being played I'd just play safe and pick Dravid. This line-up would be monstrous in Asia to say the least.

Miandad was easily better overall.

But Pujara might possibly be the greatest batsman ever in Asian conditions.

Atleast he is on track.

Has tackled every kind of opposition (Swann (peak), Panesar, Herath, Lyon (peak))....conditions (rank turners to green mambas (SL)) and situations (1st innings or 4th innings).

I can't remember when was the last time someone had the level of IMPACT Pujara has had on Asian tests.

Sehwag comes to mind but he was never as clutch as Pujara.

Edited by sensible-indian

Sehwag is the one I'd rather watch ahead of any of these guys and would be my no. 1 pick in Asia. But if I didn't know where the Test was being played I'd just play safe and pick Dravid. This line-up would be monstrous in Asia to say the least.

I would prefer an almost 100% kill rate in Asia vs 50/50 competitive scenario everywhere .... and the entertainment factor is a bonus :lol:

Edited by zen
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Can't compare Dravid, Sehwag or Miandad with Pujara.

Dravid and Miandad were good both in Asia and outside Asia.

Sehwag took the game away from the opposition, the day he clicked.

We have to think outside the box. Almost anyone can be compared with anyone based on impact for e.g Richards vs Sachin, Ponting w/ Dravid, VVS w/ Sachin and such combination 

1 hour ago, Pace90 said:

I know Miandad is not very popular in India, one way to humiliate him is by comparing him with Pujara, who is not sure of his own place in his test team and not an ODI payer at all. 

I think that's a bit of a kneejerk reaction to this thread.  I don't think comparing Pujara and Miandad as test batsmen can be considered 'humiliating'.  And its nowhere near as silly as a Sehwag vs Afridi comparison, which a lot of greenbros make with a straight face, never mind the idiocy of it.  

Edited by sandeep

On a side note, I just want to chime in and point out that its a refreshing change to see a discussion like this on the forum, instead of being drowned out by the usual innuendo about Dhoni, or Virat or whatever other gossipy nonsense that gets the 'pro' and 'anti' trolls frothing. 

19 minutes ago, Vilander said:

From what little i saw and recollect Miandad was someone who could score a single no matter what the field setting is..

I guess you didn't watch him **** the bed in the 1996 world cup against India, where he couldn't buy a run.  

Snark aside, you do have a point, Miandad was a street smart hustler who knew how to pinch singles and rotate strike, while Pujara is way over-dependent on loose balls and spinners for scoring.  That's why he's nowhere to be seen in LOI cricket....

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

I guess you didn't watch him **** the bed in the 1996 world cup against India, where he couldn't buy a run.  

Snark aside, you do have a point, Miandad was a street smart hustler who knew how to pinch singles and rotate strike, while Pujara is way over-dependent on loose balls and spinners for scoring.  That's why he's nowhere to be seen in LOI cricket....

Lol yes the monkey jump and kiran more..very vague

20 minutes ago, Vilander said:

No wait that was 1992...96 i dont remember

96 was his last ODI outing. He was already old and terribly out of touch. One can't equate Miandad's overall performance by equating his performance in 96 WC. 

However, anyone who has seen Javed Miandad play during his best years, knows there's no way the 2 can be compared. Miandad was a boss and even the great Imran Khan would seldom try to boss over him. As a batsman, the opposition bowlers used to be wary of him. And I am talking about the Lillee's and the Marshall's. 

Is Pujara in the same league? I am not sure.

11 minutes ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Miandad has a great strength of will and grit like Dravid, Steve Waugh, kohli etc..

Pujara is comparatively like a cute puppy next to these ferocious lions as far as will power and determination is concerned...

100s, to an extent, signify staying power. Both Pujara and Miandad have similar numbers when it comes to innings per 100 .... In fact, Miandad was not rated in the same class as some of his well regarded peers because of his record vs stronger team such as WI 

8 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Miandad is different gravy. He averaged 46+ in WENA (lol). Pujara is a million miles away from that. 

If Pujara gets to face bowling like below (one man army attack) on a pitch like that, his avg would climb up too :lol:

PS the way Miandad and Pujara play spinners is somewhat similar 

Edited by zen