Ashwin first 43 matches 24 5-fers, next 22 matches just 2

Still a gun bowler in home conditions who has won matches for us against SA , AUS , Eng. 1st choice in test squad for home conditions

Overseas bowling. Will give him one more chance in Australia and NZ based on how well he bowled in SA and 1st eng test and Injury concerns. 

Batting yeah very disappointed. Lack of patience is the main concern. Even in Lords minefield he looked good against swing. Never bothered by pace. Plays spin pretty well too. He should be very very disappointed. Had potential to be a genuine allrounder. Still can be if he decides to improve

Edited by R.D forever
On 10/6/2018 at 10:40 PM, Jimmy Cliff said:

He has never been same since the Chennai Test vs England in 2016. 

Injury.  That chronic hip issue doesn't seem to be going away, and it has a huge impact on his action.

Ash in 2016 was bowling like a dream.  Had the ball on a string.  I watched big chunks of his spells in the West Indies - I think that test series was also the same year?  He was bowling really well.  

i think he needs to take a bit of time and get his injury sorted - he is not putting revs on the ball at the level of 2016 - batting wise - he is doing ok it was always too much to expect him to be a batsman.  Aus will be an interesting tour if he can use the kookaburra better with all his training then it would be a sure shot way to become a great.

7 hours ago, SK_IH said:

One thing is for sure among all the three spinners, i like watching him bowl the most (kuldeep is  close second), real artist when on song, especially his spell on the 3rd morning was brilliant

And he's gotten better at controlling his instinct to try too many things now.  He really needs to put in some extra time and work on his fitness.  Its hard to combat a chronic injury, you have to work twice as hard as a regular guy, just to ward off that problem from flaring up again.  And bowling is so much hard work.  

If he manages to put together a full year or 2 without any injury interruptions, you could easily see him get back to taking 5-fers for fun.  

16 minutes ago, sandeep said:

And he's gotten better at controlling his instinct to try too many things now.  He really needs to put in some extra time and work on his fitness.  Its hard to combat a chronic injury, you have to work twice as hard as a regular guy, just to ward off that problem from flaring up again.  And bowling is so much hard work.  

If he manages to put together a full year or 2 without any injury interruptions, you could easily see him get back to taking 5-fers for fun.  

My Captain says, You cant expect a batsman to give his wicket because you are bowling. You have to play it like Chess.

I think, Ashwins mooves have been decoded. So he must go back to basics of spinner. You force batsman to change the direction of bat swing just so little that even he himself is unaware by bowling defend able balls again and again till he is certain that batsman is off guard. Its matter of patience.

17 minutes ago, mishra said:

My Captain says, You cant expect a batsman to give his wicket because you are bowling. You have to play it like Chess.

I think, Ashwins mooves have been decoded. So he must go back to basics of spinner. You force batsman to change the direction of bat swing just so little that even he himself is unaware by bowling defend able balls again and again till he is certain that batsman is off guard. Its matter of patience.

He wouldn't have gotten Cook out the way he did if his moves were "decoded".  His #1 problem is his chronic hip injury, which prevents him from going through his proper action and release.  His 2nd biggest problem is his impatience and over-thinking, which often leads him to muddy up his attack plans.  

15 hours ago, SK_IH said:

One thing is for sure among all the three spinners, i like watching him bowl the most (kuldeep is  close second), real artist when on song, especially his spell on the 3rd morning was brilliant

Yup that's for sure. Beautiful to watch especially against lefties. Even in England the 1st test bowling was a treat to watch

Its mostly a home vs away thing for Ashwin. He simply hasn't proven to be a good performer in SENA conditions thus far. What is actually alarming is his batting decline. That was one big plus for him. If he can't bat like he used to, why not try Kuldeep?