#MeToo India 2.0

coffee_rules

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

beating her car with car with camera n jumping on is mob incidence

4 actor, bhai konsi dunia men rehta hia .....wo kaam chodh ke kyun jayegi

she leave the money n fame that comes with item number, also item number gets u shows which is more money

aur ye jo iska explaination hai fraud hai, thats how u react like a gawar 

ye iss cameraman ki reality

3-3 eye witness aa chuke hia , par tumne kasam kha rkhi ki wo sahi nhin ho sakti kyun wo actress hai, on face blunt hia

Vanita women looks soft so she wud be innocent

why cnt both be innocent, image pe mat jao 

Even a prostitute has a right to complain against harrasment , then tanushree is an artist 

They are not first hand accounts. Look at what the Wasim char is saying..he came, there was a commotion and he heard workers say that "Sir ne aisa karna nahin chahiye tha..." That is your proof.  Calling him CHindi CHor, ya she is a classy credible witness. ATleast raise the charges in a decent way..not like a road side aukatless woman. 

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Do you think men are held to a higher standard as women? Men sleeping with multiple women is not really viewed as a crime or shame. 

A rape accused is viewed completely different from a man sleeping with multiple women. 

A mere accusation of rape will make someone cut all his ties with relatives and friends and he will lose his job probably.

15 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

They are not first hand accounts. Look at what the Wasim char is saying..he came, there was a commotion and he heard workers say that "Sir ne aisa karna nahin chahiye tha..." That is your proof.  Calling him CHindi CHor, ya she is a classy credible witness. ATleast raise the charges in a decent way..not like a road side aukatless woman. 

Uske chindi chor bulane se nana harraser nhin ho jata

if he has harrased, he shud be called even Behen ka L**DA , aise logo ke liye kahe ki tameez

12 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Uske chindi chor bulane se nana harraser nhin ho jata

if he has harrased, he shud be called even Behen ka L**DA , aise logo ke liye kahe ki tameez

I am not supporting Coffee's POV here, but the idea of 'ayese logo ke liye kahe ki tameez' is an extremely problematic way of looking at things. Tameez shows who YOU are. Not who THEY are. Showing respect simply shows that YOU are a respectful person. Showing disrespect is showing YOU are a disrespectful person. 

In my personal life, i've lost my $hit many times, but i rarely, if EVER use a cuss word, unless its for fun and games. Never called anyone BC,MC, C-word, etc in anger. Why ? Because i don't need to. using normal words to insult and rip a person apart is far more effective than losing your cool and having verbal diahrea of cuss words. 

24 minutes ago, Number said:

A rape accused is viewed completely different from a man sleeping with multiple women. 

A mere accusation of rape will make someone cut all his ties with relatives and friends and he will lose his job probably.

WHether it is false or true it has to start with "Mere accusation".  There is a risk of someone having a bad name.  It will only hurt his name. But not reporting will hurt the society, herself, her family, future victims. There is much more at stake. I would encourage every little girl, girl to report any inappropriate touching. They should start weeding these guys out. They should instill fear. There are so many good men. Girls understand that. They don't blame the entire opposite sex.  Personally, this is a universal problem. But due to excessive population, poverty, vast amount of cultural differences, it is much more prevalent in India. There are more incidents, cases. If you ask me Entertainment industry is designed for female exploitation.  You have so much leverage to do everything behind the cover. There is so much scope for exploitation. We only hear these stories from a reasonably well known artists. Think about those who never saw the light in the film industry. I do have a reasonable amount of connection with movie industry. Behind the scene exploitation is sickening.

23 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

I am not supporting Coffee's POV here, but the idea of 'ayese logo ke liye kahe ki tameez' is an extremely problematic way of looking at things. Tameez shows who YOU are. Not who THEY are. Showing respect simply shows that YOU are a respectful person. Showing disrespect is showing YOU are a disrespectful person. 

In my personal life, i've lost my $hit many times, but i rarely, if EVER use a cuss word, unless its for fun and games. Never called anyone BC,MC, C-word, etc in anger. Why ? Because i don't need to. using normal words to insult and rip a person apart is far more effective than losing your cool and having verbal diahrea of cuss words. 

Im not saying that in anger 

Neither is that from my side, my point was even if she wants to abuse her Harraser nothing wrong

The point is her harassment not the gaali

About aise logo ki kahe tameez- ofcourse if she felt violated by someone ab usko Sir G to kahogi nhin

Yaha baat action ki hai, gaali words hai lets rise above it 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

WHether it is false or true it has to start with "Mere accusation".  There is a risk of someone having a bad name.  It will only hurt his name. But not reporting will hurt the society, herself, her family, future victims. There is much more at stake. I would encourage every little girl, girl to report any inappropriate touching. They should start weeding these guys out. They should instill fear. There are so many good men. Girls understand that. They don't blame the entire opposite sex.  Personally, this is a universal problem. But due to excessive population, poverty, vast amount of cultural differences, it is much more prevalent in India. There are more incidents, cases. If you ask me Entertainment industry is designed for female exploitation.  You have so much leverage to do everything behind the cover. There is so much scope for exploitation. We only hear these stories from a reasonably well known artists. Think about those who never saw the light in the film industry. I do have a reasonable amount of connection with movie industry. Behind the scene exploitation is sickening.

As a parent, i have problem with the bolded line. Little humans should go to their parents/adults they trust. 
I say this, is because children, especially pre-teens, are not little angels and they do not fully grasp morality of consequences. They are manipulative little $hytes and giving a child power to screw over an adult based on only what he/she said, is basically giving Lex Luthor a kryptonite mine before fighting Superman. 

1 minute ago, Muloghonto said:

As a parent, i have problem with the bolded line. Little humans should go to their parents/adults they trust. 
I say this, is because children, especially pre-teens, are not little angels and they do not fully grasp morality of consequences. They are manipulative little $hytes and giving a child power to screw over an adult based on only what he/she said, is basically giving Lex Luthor a kryptonite mine before fighting Superman. 

I am talking about things like the gym teacher did to 5000 young girls. In the name of medical check up he did all sort of nasty things.  Worst part is some parents even knew and didn't take it seriously. Same way fondling them is a strict no no. Holding hands or patting on the back there are some normal gestures. It is the responsibility of parents to get the truth out of the child.

38 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

I am talking about things like the gym teacher did to 5000 young girls. In the name of medical check up he did all sort of nasty things.  Worst part is some parents even knew and didn't take it seriously. Same way fondling them is a strict no no. Holding hands or patting on the back there are some normal gestures. It is the responsibility of parents to get the truth out of the child.

Agreed. But children need to also realize that their testimony will be analyzed and not auto-believed like adults,because i find that children are far more prone to manipulating adults to get their way than adults doing it to each other.

And yes, parents need to be more vigilant, aware and invested. Not saying they should believe what a child has to say automatically, but they should not dismiss it either off-handedly. 

I will relate you a story from my past : when i was young and new to Canada, i rented a room from a single mom of 2 kids, who had 2 kids from 2 of her prior marriages (she was ~10 years older than me at that time, so late 20s/early 30s). One child was 3 years old and the other was 8. The older was a girl, younger was a boy.  She wasn't in touch with the girl's dad anymore but the boy's father was involved in their lives - he'd come pick up the kids occasionally to babysit, give her a day off etc. ( not just his kid but also the girl).

I used to have a weekend part time job an when i'd get home the little dude would light up, come running to me with his arms out-streched, wanting an 'aeroplane ride'. This is basically when u pick up a kid by their tummy, hold them horizontally and make whoosh noises and pretend they are a toy plane - dive bombing, steep climbing, landing etc. Little tykes LOVE this. 
Needless to say, after i was done with the lil man, the girl wanted it as well. And sometimes i'd oblige but most of the time i'd bail. Simply because the 4 year old kid weighed like 25 pounds and she as a lanky 8 year old probably weighed 50-60 pounds. Much harder to do with a heavier human than a toddler. And she'd get upset and i'd mostly cave, do it for a couple of minutes and then go to my room. 

One time, the same thing played out and i flat out said 'no' to the girl. She whined, pouted, said i dont love her as much, blahblah. And when i started to walk towards my room, she said ' if u give me an aeroplane ride, i will show you my panties'. Now, this is in the early-mid 90s, prior to mass media. An 8 year old should NEVER have the notion even that showing her panties to an adult male can be 'incentive'. I was troubled, so i went and told this to her mom. Her mom looked up from her cooking and asked her if she said this...she sheepishly said 'yes'. Her mom grounded her and told me 'kids these days will say any random nonsense. just ignore her'. I was blown away. Told a friend who worked social services and she adviced me to move out, because if today the kid has figured out that showing her panties is a bribe, tomorrow she will figure out that she can use it as black-mail to get her way. 

This kind of parental behaviour blows me away. 

28 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Agreed. But children need to also realize that their testimony will be analyzed and not auto-believed like adults,because i find that children are far more prone to manipulating adults to get their way than adults doing it to each other.

There was an incident one girl accused her own father for rape and got him prison time and regretted later that she did out of anger. He still forgave her. Yes there are many like that. Kids calling 911 to land their parents in trouble.  But kids should be taught to spot telltale signs. 

9 hours ago, mishra said:

@beetle ji, I may be woron but you seem to be confusing issue. 

MeToo is a movement of strong women to that of day today stuff that goes in society. The social stuff you are on about is most deplorable thing and their is no room for it in society. Its unlawful behavior and law must be able to enforce it.

Now back to meToo. For example, Asking for a coffee to someone is never unlawful but asking your subordinate for a coffee could be classed sexual harrasment in corporate world. In India a junior male will confidently go out with her female boss, while a female sobordinate will have so many things in her mind if he male boss has asked the same. MeToo is for those subordinate types who felt uncomfortable to go on coffee but knew that if they dont go, their career may be over.  meToo definitely about calling it a sexual harrasment if further uncomfortable situation comes after going on that uncomfortable cup of coffee.

Corporate world, have created and trained its employees with set of rules. However its time when sectors like Entertainment, and other sectors and (small businesses bigger then certain number of employee count) should take a cue and came with  stringent rules and procedures. For example a doctor should have to go through disciplinary proceedings of Medical council and may be struck off register if he is found to be doing something inappropriate.

Its time various sectors took some measures and do something about safety of women in that sectors

May be it can be classed as sexists but I dont care to change it now. For me, males have moral responsibility to provide best possible comfortable atmosphere to females. Every male should know their boundary, and limit himself to it, and boundry being females around them feel comfortable by their words,actions expectations. Its females job to let man cross that boundary and make the man happier . Teach this to your sons and we will get resolution to social issues of India:bow:

True.

But the women in the corporate world form a small  number compared to the rest of India.

Most women in India do not have the redresssal  point where they can discuss the issue.

Now are most men made  aware of the definition of harrassment like in the corporate world.

We need a massive awareness campaign to address the issue in general.

Making people aware about boundaries, about unequal power , about people having free will over their lives.

It is not about gender.

Many men are sexually harrassed by other men too.

Some men are harrassed by women.

Then there is the issue of other genders that even the present law does not address.

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

There was an incident one girl accused her own father for rape and got him prison time and regretted later that she did out of anger. He still forgave her. Yes there are many like that. Kids calling 911 to land their parents in trouble.  But kids should be taught to spot telltale signs. 

Such cases have happened even in bad divorces where the mother influenced the kid to get even with the ex husband.

There should be a real effort to punish the misusers .

5 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Like parents forcing / influencing their children to become blind bhakts of babas  who turn out to be rapist.

6 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

The recent case of the horrific gangrape of cbsc topper in haryana could have been avoided if the previous 4-5 victims of these rapists had reported.

These guys used to forcibly pick up girls and rape the girl at their rape  adda where the other rapists used to join .

The villages knew this was happening. They knew the girls who were gangraped but no one said anything because according to them' the girls were of marriage age and their lives would have been destroyed'.

This girl reported it .

She also happened to have recieved some award from the Prime Minister...so it became a serious enough case.

Thanks to her, God knows how many other girls were saved.

10 hours ago, Shunya said:

Great Thanks for sharing. I read this process for the first time. Dunno how it works though, will have to read further on "Who has more credibility wins" scenario. Can you please share the source of this information? Cos if there is no objective proof in these cases, how were things done so far and what would be the definition of harrasment or sexual harrasment?

Apna samay barbaad mat karo yaar... 

Mulo  either didn't read properly, didn't understand what he read, or is deliberately misquoting research here(I don't want to assign malevolence here though)...

The 2-10% he stated is false regarding sexual harassment  

10 hours ago, Shunya said:

Are there false allegations ? yes. But they are a statistical minority. Most objective research shows that less than 50% of cases are reported worldwide and of them anywhere between 2-10% are false accusations. Meaning that in entirity of numbers, the total % of false accusations are less than 1% to less than 5%. 

I have also read the wikipedia article that he is quoting from and it only talks about Rape cases, not sexual harassment

Here is what it said

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_accusation_of_rape#cite_note-DiCanio-1

A false accusation of rape is the reporting of a rape where no rape has occurred. It is difficult to assess the true prevalence of false rape allegations, but it is generally agreed that, for about 2% to 10% of rape allegations, a thorough investigation establishes that no crime was committed or attempted

The 2-10% is only regarding false rape accusations, it doesn't mention false sexual harassment cases. 

This is based off of 1 research article linked at the bottom of the Wiki page, here it is:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1077801210387747

Abstract One of the most controversial disputes affecting the discourse related to violence against women is the dispute about the frequency of false allegations of sexual assault. In an effort to add clarity to the discourse, published research on false allegations is critiqued, and the results of a new study described. All cases (N = 136) of sexual assault reported to a major Northeastern university over a 10-year period are analyzed to determine the percentage of false allegations. Of the 136 cases of sexual assault reported over the 10-year period, 8 (5.9%) are coded as false allegations. These results, taken in the context of an examination of previous research, indicate that the prevalence of false allegations is between 2% and 10%

No where in the paper does it mention sexual harassment even once. It is exclusively talking about fake rape allegations, which they estimate to be somewhere between 2-10 percent, but thier data found 5.9%Furthermore, that is only regarding the US, numbers of fake rape cases could be less or more in other countries. 

Its sample also appears to be 1 university in the NE US only, so it isn't something to generalize to the rest of the world or USA. 

On the same wiki page another study, which is a meta-analysis of multiple other studies summarized its data with this graph 

Rumney (2006)

A selection of findings on the prevalence of false rape allegations. Data from Rumney (2006).
  Number False reporting rate (%)
Theilade and Thomsen (1986) 1 out of 56 
4 out of 39
1.5% (minimum)
10% (maximum)
New York Rape Squad (1974) n/a 2%
Hursch and Selkin (1974) 10 out of 545 2%
Kelly et al. (2005) 67 out of 2,643 3% ("possible" and "probable" false allegations) 
22% (recorded by police as "no-crime")
Geis (1978) n/a 3–31% (estimates given by police surgeons)
Smith (1989) 17 out of 447 3.8%
U.S. Department of Justice (1997) n/a 8%
Clark and Lewis (1977) 12 out of 116 10.3%
Harris and Grace (1999) 53 out of 483 
123 out of 483
10.9% ("false/malicious" claims)
25% (recorded by police as "no-crime")
Lea et al. (2003) 42 out of 379 11%
HMCPSI/HMIC (2002) 164 out of 1,379 11.8%
McCahill et al. (1979) 218 out of 1,198 18.2%
Philadelphia police study (1968) 74 out of 370 20%
Chambers and Millar (1983) 44 out of 196 22.4%
Grace et al. (1992) 80 out of 335 24%
Jordan (2004) 68 out of 164 
62 out of 164
41% ("false" claims)
38% (viewed by police as "possibly true/possibly false")
Kanin (1994) 45 out of 109 41%
Gregory and Lees (1996) 49 out of 109 45%
Maclean (1979) 16 out of 34 47%
Stewart (1981) 16 out of 18 90%

The numbers of fake rape cases according to this meta-analysis ranges from 1.5% to 90%. There are many data points we can see above 20% false and above 40% false. 

None of these studies seem to be talking about fake sexual harassment cases. Sexual harassment cases are much easier to falsify logically than rape cases, as rape cases usually leave behind evidence. The false sexual harassment cases could be much higher.

My 2 paisa

There is no presumption of guilt in court. People are innocent until proven guilty and the prosecution bears the burden to prove that a crime happened, whether the crime is murder/rape/thievery/harassment and whether the alleged victim is whatever sex/caste/creed. No ifs ands or buts. If you don't like it, think of a better system where noone who ever does a crime is let off and the guilty are always punished and then implement it. But this is the best system we have and perfect shouldn't be the enemy of best. 

I was googling for some more info on the legal aspects of such cases and I found this chart from a paper by the Australian Institute of Criminology 

https://aic.gov.au/publications/tandi/tandi288

These are the basis of discontinuing cases where sexual offense allegations are made, on defendant and accuser sides.

Decisions in the pre-indictment stage tend to be based on the papers in the brief and the technicalities of whether there is a prima facie case. Assuming that a prima facie case has been established, a number of factors enter into decisions to proceed or discontinue. The ultimate assessment rests on consideration of a range of victim-, defendant-, and case-related factors. Table 1 summarises factors that were mentioned by the majority of interviewees, although they were unanimous about the importance of victim credibility in adult sexual assault cases.

Table 1 : Factors influencing prosecutors' decisions to proceed with or discontinue adult sexual assault cases
Proceed Discontinue
Victim
Credible, reliable Defence has access to material that will undermine victim's credibility, for example, psychiatric history of delusions
Willing to proceed; able to withstand trial processes Reluctant - makes informed decisions not unduly influenced by the defendant or others associated with him. This would not apply where there are strong public interest reasons to proceed, for example schoolteacher and pupil, serial offender
Consistency, although some degree of discrepancy is understandable Inexplicable internal inconsistencies in the victim's story
Can recall and relate the facts Memory affected by drug or alcohol use, or even the shock of the attack
Distress Vindictiveness or other circumstances that could indicate motive to lie
Corroboration: visible injuries, bruises, eyewitnesses, medical evidence Victim's account conflicts with other evidence or eyewitness accounts
Defendant
Factors that undermine the defendant's version, for example, motive to offend, lies Age, health, mental condition
Inconsistencies, for example, admission followed by denial; denial followed by claim of consensual sex when DNA proves sex took place  
Case
Fresh complaint i.e. the victim reported the assault to a third party at the first reasonable opportunity, while the events were still 'fresh' in her memory Delayed complaint
Age of matter - recent Historical offence
Level of offence - rape Indecent assault
Relationship evidence that is admissible and will assist jury in determining truth Reconciliation between victim and defendant (not determinative but a factor)

The most problematic and common cases are those that come down to word against word. The prosecutor's assessment of the victim's credibility and reliability as a witness, and her willingness to proceed, is crucial in these cases. Prosecutors were generally supportive of proceeding with most cases, but acknowledged that there are times when they would be more likely to recommend discontinuing. Their responses fell into two main categories, which generally result in cases going forward, with a third, smaller group that was more inclined to discontinue:

It looks like in Australia many of these cases are not able to proceed if there is no evidence which can make a case. 

Are there any lawyer types here who can explain how Indian law works differently than Australian law, if at all?

Edited by Moochad

1 hour ago, Moochad said:

My 2 paisa

There is no presumption of guilt in court. People are innocent until proven guilty and the prosecution bears the burden to prove that a crime happened, whether the crime is murder/rape/thievery/harassment and whether the alleged victim is whatever sex/caste/creed. No ifs ands or buts. If you don't like it, think of a better system where noone who ever does a crime is let off and the guilty are always punished and then implement it. But this is the best system we have and perfect shouldn't be the enemy of best. 

This is not the best system and mathematically demonstrable as such. The innocent until proven guilty SPECIFICALLY and so far, SINGULARLY yeilds large % of ambiguous results (purely on the basis of objective, empiric evidence provided) in the case of sexual assaults & rapes.

Therefore, mathematically, a system that is yeilding close to optimal performance in all subsets of scenarios A-1 (with A being the entire subset, 1 subtracted for this specific legal category), the mathematically optimal scenario, is to have a seperate course of action for the said scenario B, where B = A-1. 

I have no idea what the seperate scenario for B should be, but empirically, the exception scenario should be investigated. 

5 hours ago, beetle said:

True.

But the women in the corporate world form a small  number compared to the rest of India.

Most women in India do not have the redresssal  point where they can discuss the issue.

Now are most men made  aware of the definition of harrassment like in the corporate world.

We need a massive awareness campaign to address the issue in general.

Making people aware about boundaries, about unequal power , about people having free will over their lives.

It is not about gender.

Many men are sexually harrassed by other men too.

Some men are harrassed by women.

Then there is the issue of other genders that even the present law does not address.

Yes, but trial by media is wrong. I went completely over various anecdotal evidence in the case of Nana vs Tanushri. You can clearly see

1. Tanu was playing as item number.

2. She accuses Nana touched her in certain way on sets publicly and she felt uncomfortable about it.

3. Choreographer introduced some sequence which made her further uncomfortable

4. Three days of shooting time was lost

So, for a outsider who knows what is purpose of a item number and how much skin is to be revealed may also go in contract, was Tanu forced to pay for damages after giving up? If there is a party which gained/lost something financially. As all this happened in public It looks very fishy/innocent. It could be innocent from both the sides too.

Her going to vanity van in the middle of shoot, undoubtedly points out that she was uncomfortable. Nana has to understand, that Tanu may have faced something in past which may have made her feel uncomfortable on the sets. So despite him being innocent, i see it as moral duty of Nana to attempt and resolve it. He has clearly failed on that front which would have further cemented Tanus feeling that it was sexual harrassment.

So, IMO, Nana is borderline guilty unless Tanu had a reputation of throwing tantrums on sets or Tanu was to gain something financially.

Assuming he is guilty, does not mean Nana needs to go to prison or loose acting career, He should be told to never do it again.

BTW, IIRC , Shushmita too complained in past about something. On sets of certain movie, Rekha warned some junior artist to "Control the passion" for some steamy scene. So Tanu could have done same.