Matthew Hayden injured in surfing accident

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/104433/surfing-accident-leaves-matthew-hayden-with-fractured-spine

Hayden posted a bruised picture of himself on a social networking platform. © Getty

Matthew Hayden has suffered multiple injuries after being involved in a surfing accident in Queensland. The former Australia opener was surfing with his son near Stradbroke Island where he was knocked over by a wave.

The incident happened on Friday (October 5) and has resulted in a fractured spine and torn ligaments. "Just wanted to say a big thank you to all our mates on Straddie who have been so supportive," Hayden conveyed through an Instagram post. "Especially Ben & Sue Kelley for the fast diagnosis with MRI, CT scan. Fractured C6, torn C5,C4 ligaments safe to say I truly have dodged a bullet. Thank you everyone. On the road to recovery."

"It was an hour into the session and we had had half dozen waves together and I got this one right-handed wave which I sort of ducked under and that is pretty much all I can remember," Hayden told Courier Mail about the accident. "I wasn't knocked out. I was speared into the top of the sandbank onto the top of my head. Then it twisted my head with my own weight and the weight of the wave. I heard this god almighty click in my neck. I did not get knocked out but I sort of came to and rolled up on my back."

This is the second time Hayden has had an accident while out in the sea. In 2000, his fishing boat sunk and he was forced to swim more than a kilometre with Andrew Symonds. Hayden played 103 Tests, 161 One-Day Internationals and nine Twenty20 Internationals before retiring from international cricket in 2009.