Are celebs really role-models?

Franco Vazquez

I mean they smoke, they do drugs, they cheat on their wives/gfs, they avoid taxes, they blackmail people so the question is that are they really role models for the society? Tbh for me, my role model is my dad who despite being raised in a humble household worked hard and married a rich woman and he doesn't do any sort of those things even though I don't like his habit of using curse words and being passionate about different things but he has never done something which brought a bad name to our family

12 hours ago, Franco Vazquez said:

I mean they smoke, they do drugs, they cheat on their wives/gfs, they avoid taxes, they blackmail people so the question is that are they really role models for the society? Tbh for me, my role model is my dad who despite being raised in a humble household worked hard and married a rich woman and he doesn't do any sort of those things even though I don't like his habit of using curse words and being passionate about different things but he has never done something which brought a bad name to our family

:confused:

You want  Big Lebowsky and his 'dude-ism' as a father ?! 

@Franco Vazquez

Aren't you from the UAE? You can't compare a role model from the UAE to a role model from India. 

Our role models cheat taxes and mask their true incomes. Your role models don't even have to pay taxes!! The UAE doesn't levy a tax on income. That's a skill set your role models lack.

Anyone who considers celebrities role models has something wrong with them.

Your role models are your parents and other people that you interact with on a regular basis. Not some rich person on TV that you have no relationship with.

As for celebrity bad behaviour, when you are that rich and famous and can get whatever you want, the temptation to say no is very difficult so I don't judge them unless they are physically hurting someone ( a la Salman Khan).

Role model in what sense?

A sportperson can be a role model for a young aspiring sportman.

Similarly an actor can be a role model for an aspiring actor.

If you mean role models in life ....as in role model for character.....then no.

One has to know a person to know about their character.

Role models in life are more likely to be from family , teachers , for some even religious figures.

If your defintion of celeb is silver spooned gawaar starkids of bollywood then probably no.

However there are many great actors and actresses in Bollywood who have come up through the ranks with their dedication and hard work. I admire them. Anupam Kher, Manoj Bajpayee Pankaj Tripathi etc. 

There are many famous personalities in sports, politics and business who have inspirational stories behind them. 

Edited by Number

I try to pick good things from various people and try to emulate them as much as possible and move on. Now these people can be anyone - parents, spouse, friends, celebrities, even your kids.

With celebrities or otherwise, I stay away from seeing them as role models or some idols. I did as a kid but realized that at times I struggled to justify their actions which were conflicting with my own morality.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Number said:

If your defintion of celeb is silver spooned gawaar starkids of bollywood then probably no.

However there are many great actors and actresses in Bollywood who have come up through the ranks with their dedication and hard work. I admire them. Anupam Kher, Manoj Bajpayee Pankaj Tripathi etc. 

There are many famous personalities in sports, politics and business who have inspirational stories behind them. 

Why leave out SRK?

Rank outsider. Middle class back ground. Started with theatre/small screen and made it big in Bollywood.

Just now, Mariyam said:

Why leave out SRK?

Rank outsider. Middle class back ground. Started with theatre/small screen and made it big in Bollywood.

SRK's nana was a defacto prime minister Mariyam ji. 

Rank outsider may be but he had his connections.

I have never doubted his acting prowess and great screen presence though. 

CTIt_JdUYAELmHp.jpg:large

8 hours ago, Number said:

SRK's nana was a defacto prime minister Mariyam ji. 

Rank outsider may be but he had his connections.

I have never doubted his acting prowess and great screen presence though. 

CTIt_JdUYAELmHp.jpg:large

Is this referring to teh same Shah Nawaz Khan who is alleged to have betrayed Netaji and the INA or do they only share the same name?

Edited by Moochad

21 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Why leave out SRK?

Exactly looking at how nepotism have swallowed bollywood as a whole and majority of film industries,its near to impossible to have another one like SRK .