ODI team selection: Will Pant be brought in as cover for struggling Dhoni?

nevada

Good to see some response to Dhoti's dismal form of late. Form aside, he is 37 going on 38 and could also suffer an unexpected injury. It is ridiculous to not groom a second option. No, DK is not it.     https://m.rediff.com/cricket/report/odi-selection-will-pant-be-brought-in-as-cover-for-struggling-dhoni/20181010.htm

"We all know that Dhoni will play till the World Cup but there is no harm in grooming Pant, who could be a terrific number 6 or 7 batsman, who has the ability to finish games," a senior BCCI official privy to selection matters told PTI on Wednesday.

Since Pant’s debut Test hundred at the Oval followed by a stroke-filled 92 in Rajkot, calls for the 20-year-old's inclusion have only grown louder. While Dinesh Karthik is in the reckoning, his consistency and inability to finish matches at crucial junctures will keep the team management worried.'

BCCI official hints at picking Rishabh Pant for the Windies ODI series

https://www.crictracker.com/reports-bcci-official-hints-at-picking-rishabh-pant-for-the-windies-odi-series/

“We all know that Dhoni will play till the World Cup but there is no harm in grooming Pant, who could be a terrific No.6 or 7 batsman, who has the ability to finish games,” the official was quoted as saying in NDTV Sports.

Pant has been in impressive form of late. He hasn’t tasted much success in the limited opportunities he got in white-ball cricket. However, he has been up to the mark in Test cricket. The Uttarakhand-born cricketer made his debut against England at Trent Bridge in Nottingham. He started his career with a six of his second delivery, which furrowed many eyebrows.

In the final Test at Kennington Oval in London, the youngster notched his maiden Test century, albeit it came in a losing cause. He went on to score a quick-fore 92 against Windies at SCA Stadium in Rajkot. India are scheduled to play a five-match ODI series against the Windies, starting October 21 and Pant seems to have a fair chance of making the cut.

Lol Pant has been in good form but I think they should keep Kishan in the reckoning too.

Also Selectors (or whoever using their name as cover because ultimately team is chosen by Anushka and Karnesh) should stop going behind Dhoni fervently and pawning players against him because that will only end getting that player's career destroyed.

I know it's gossip - but Kohli's kursi is in danger and Pant is only a junior player

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Lol Pant has been in good form but I think they should keep Kishan in the reckoning too.

Also Selectors (or whoever using their name as cover because ultimately team is chosen by Anushka and Karnesh) should stop going behind Dhoni fervently and pawning players against him because that will only end getting that player's career destroyed.

I know it's gossip - but Kohli's kursi is in danger and Pant is only a junior player

Serious question ...

Are you being serious or facetious ?

5 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

I'm being serious - though my assumptions are based partly on gossip and observations which may not be visible to people with less IQ.

1)Dhoni doesn't like to persist with people he considers his enemies - that is,  they can challenge his authority.
More than anything,  Gauti and Subsequently Sehwag were removed not BECAUSE their forms went down - but because they were challenging his authority and were the sane minds in the dressing room
2)Dhoni doesn't like anybody who opposes him or even tries to put scratch on him.
We all know about the Mohinder Amarnath incident.
Also Dhoni has ended multiple careers and we all know nicely about it.
3) 2014-2017 was a down time of Dhoni with His career curve going down,  sugar daddy Srini Mamu being fired and all those Lodha Commission debacles.
Unbeknownst to everybody,  Lodha Commission had their own agendas,  and to implement it - they needed a change of guard.
They chose Kohli as their pawn and soft forced Dhoni to leave Captaincy in steps eventually .

4)This is a known fact because multiple independent sources with strong connections have said this and It is kinda evident in media too - Selectors are paper tigers with no power.
They're just scapegoats  kept there to be used as punching bags by public in case anything goes wrong.
The real power lies with CoA who runs the show with the help Of Virat,  Anu,  Karnesh and Shastri.

So don't pay special heed to those selectors are doing this and that blah blah blah.
These are PR articles put by the real powers to show their rivals in place.

5)Now , just think why "selectors" would be angry about a goodwill gesture about Rohit allowing Dhoni to captain a faltu match against Afghanistan to complete his 200th quota and raise questions about "why they're reverting to Dhoni because they need a new captain for 2019"
Even I don't like Dhoni much but just don't see the logic about getting angry on this because Kohli is clearly going to be the boss.
And if Kohli is SOO fond of Dhoni - he wouldn't have minded on this thing because, after all,  this is an inconsequential match.

5) Now look at the news closely and read between the lines.
There is a factional war going on between Rohit and Kohli if you believe the gossips.
Rohit won Asia Cup and dropped a lot of sly remarks on Kohli's operational style and I bet it was his Idea to Give Dhoni captaincy by giving him an opportunity to captain the team for the 200th time and it's evident Rohit is using Dhoni as a ladder to achieve his target.
Now,  Rohit won the Cup but didn't get half the appreciation Kohli received after winning series in SA and Eng and even Rohit himself after winning Nidahas.
Which means he's fallen out of favour by the current CoA.
6)Now - I get Dhoni is bad,  Dhoni is complacent,  Dhoni is over and everything else.

But you know - I've noticed, ever since 2014 and that Shashank Manohar led gang with Lodha Commission came , there has been an active witch hunting against Dhoni.

I don't really like him but I notice that The current management is really very very dismissive of him and uses various excuses to undermine him

Sorry - but I found the excuse of grooming a new leader and blah blah being a reason given for giving captaincy to Dhoni for one match very rude and dismissive. 

6) selections aren't entirely meritocratic. 

Ever thought why many players don't get selected despite giving good performances while mediocre players get selected? 

Do you really think how suddenly selectors grew a spine and kicked Dhawan and Rohit out of the Test Team? 

They can't kick these 2 out of LoIs yet because they're performing. 

I am not undermining him nor saying his untalented but I always found Pant's rapid rise suspicious.

Especially hyping him as "Next MSD" Instead of being a simple Wicketkeeper-Batsman? 

Despite giving a better performance, didn't we see how unfairly KS Bharat was dropped in favour of Pant who was fast tracked into the scenario and then given a debut soon enough? 

Yes,  he has been good but nothing is meritocratic in Indian Cricket but has more to do with politics.

This part will sound like a figment of my imagination but the reality is Pant is being used as a pawn to kick off Dhoni off the team

Else a junior player never gets this much air time in media because our media is full of agendas. 

7)Dhoni and Kohli's relationship has disintegrated. 

Especially since it's kind of evident that Dhoni is Rohit's Bhishmapitamah now. 

Else the guy who took Suresh Raina in England tour is now using Pant as a "cover" in ODIs for "Struggling" Dhoni? 

Yes we'll find it as an eye opening because yes, Dhoni has been really redundant but it is equally a farce like Chahar and Kaul's selection.

8) Pant is being bigged up for the game just like Kohli was being soft launched after that England Tour to kick off Dhoni from the Test team - and then eventually the LoI team. 

I think Dhoni too will be drop kicked out of the team soon under the pretense of bad performance EVEN before the World Cup by Kohli. 

And already looking at the repercussions, I fear about The likes of Rahul,  Pant who are possibly being used as bogeymans to keep Kohli's antis on bay. 

No wonder Rohit has shed his laziness and upped his games. 

He Knows that his and Dhawan's place is on stake and can be kicked off anytime. 

9) Kohli's place is itself in risk. 

(regime change on cards -check. 

He's been a CoA/Manohar stooge for long anyways and whoever is coming is probably going to remove Kohli because....) 

I bet Rohit was planning the coup since long time and Dhoni was backing him secretly .

The CoA is trying to give Rohit an olive branch but he's unlikely to back off. 

Sorry for the long post but Mr. Philcric,  please don't make fun of my opinions. 

I might be dramatic but eventually stuff happens right like this. 

:clap2:

16 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

I'm being serious - though my assumptions are based partly on gossip and observations which may not be visible to people with less IQ.

1)Dhoni doesn't like to persist with people he considers his enemies - that is,  they can challenge his authority.
More than anything,  Gauti and Subsequently Sehwag were removed not BECAUSE their forms went down - but because they were challenging his authority and were the sane minds in the dressing room
2)Dhoni doesn't like anybody who opposes him or even tries to put scratch on him.
3) 2014-2017 was a down time of Dhoni with His career curve going down,  sugar daddy Srini Mamu being fired and all those Lodha Commission debacles.
Unbeknownst to everybody,  Lodha Commission had their own agendas,  and to implement it - they needed a change of guard.
They chose Kohli as their pawn and soft forced Dhoni to leave Captaincy in steps eventually .

4)This is a known fact because multiple independent sources with strong connections have said this and It is kinda evident in media too - Selectors are paper tigers with no power.
They're just scapegoats  kept there to be used as punching bags by public in case anything goes wrong.
The real power lies with CoA who runs the show with the help Of Virat,  Anu,  Karnesh and Shastri.

So don't pay special heed to those selectors are doing this and that blah blah blah.

5)Now , just think why "selectors" would be angry about a goodwill gesture about Rohit allowing Dhoni to captain a faltu match against Afghanistan to complete his 200th quota and raise questions about "why they're reverting to Dhoni because they need a new captain for 2019"
Even I don't like Dhoni much but just don't see the logic about getting angry on this because Kohli is clearly going to be the boss.
And if Kohli is SOO fond of Dhoni - he wouldn't have minded on this thing because, after all,  this is an inconsequential match.

There is a factional war going on between Rohit and Kohli if you believe the gossips.
Rohit won Asia Cup and dropped a lot of sly remarks on Kohli's operational style and I bet it was his Idea to Give Dhoni captaincy by giving him an opportunity to captain the team for the 200th time and it's evident Rohit is using Dhoni as a ladder to achieve his target.
Now,  Rohit won the Cup but didn't get half the appreciation Kohli received after winning series in SA and Eng and even Rohit himself after winning Nidahas.
6)Now - I get Dhoni is bad,  Dhoni is complacent,  Dhoni is over and everything else.

But you know - I've noticed, ever since 2014 and that Shashank Manohar led gang with Lodha Commission came , there has been an active witch hunting against Dhoni.

I don't really like him but I notice that The current management is really very very dismissive of him and uses various excuses to undermine him

Sorry - but I found the excuse of grooming a new leader and blah blah being a reason given for giving captaincy to Dhoni for one match very rude and dismissive. 

Ever thought why many players don't get selected despite giving good performances while mediocre players get selected? 

Do you really think how suddenly selectors grew a spine and kicked Dhawan and Rohit out of the Test Team? 

I am not undermining him nor saying his untalented but I always found Pant's rapid rise suspicious.

Especially hyping him as "Next MSD" Instead of being a simple Wicketkeeper-Batsman? 

Despite giving a better performance, didn't we see how unfairly KS Bharat was dropped in favour of Pant who was fast tracked into the scenario and then given a debut soon enough? 

Yes,  he has been good but nothing is meritocratic in Indian Cricket but has more to do with politics.

This part will sound like a figment of my imagination but the reality is Pant is being used as a pawn to kick off Dhoni off the team

Else a junior player never gets this much air time in media because our media is full of agendas. 

Else the guy who took Suresh Raina in England tour is now using Pant as a "cover" in ODIs for "Struggling" Dhoni? 

Yes we'll find it as an eye opening because yes, Dhoni has been really redundant but it is equally a farce like Chahar and Kaul's selection.

8) Pant is being bigged up for the game just like Kohli was being soft launched after that England Tour to kick off Dhoni from the Test team - and then eventually the LoI team. 

I think Dhoni too will be drop kicked out of the team soon under the pretense of bad performance EVEN before the World Cup by Kohli. 

And already looking at the repercussions, I fear about The likes of Rahul,  Pant who are possibly being used as bogeymans to keep Kohli's antis on bay. 

He's been a CoA/Manohar stooge for long anyways and whoever is coming is probably going to remove Kohli because....) 

I bet Rohit was planning the coup since long time and Dhoni was backing him secretly .

Sorry for the long post but Mr. Philcric,  please don't make fun of my opinions. 

Did you ever think about producing Inside Edge Season 2 on Amazon? You have so much material to work off!!! Or you can start a soap opera called housewives of Indian Cricketers...

Did you ever think about producing Inside Edge Season 2 on Amazon? You have so much material to work off!!! Or you can start a soap opera called housewives of Indian Cricketers...

Honestly they should fire Karan Angshuman and hire me- because Inside Edge was a massive damp squib consisting of the same ole' **** anyways!!!

I always dreamt to become a TV producer/writer LOL.

On a serious note - I wrote this after studying media reports, interviews and legit hearsay so yeah

3 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Undoubtedly post of the year :nod: 

Greater analysis than the Ind "coaches" have done in all of 2018

6 hours ago, Laaloo said:

That post might seem long and dramatic but is probably closest to what actually happens in the corridors of power. There is lots of power play going on and all the "inexplicable" decisions are part of it. One thing no one can deny is that everyone who is a potential threat to Kohli has been marginalized - Rahane, Pujara, Ashwin, etc. It didn't happen overnight and was all by design. We cannot take selectors' words at face value at all. Everyone of them is an inexperienced lightweight not due to any coincidence.