IPL will kill ICL

Rohan495

IPL will kill ICL only if they can increase the schedule the season from 2 months to 5 months. ICL will be scheduling matches during the year. ICL is not dependent on regulars who play for the national team. Whereas IPL is depending on the current international players to increase the appetite for cricket.

How will the IPL kill the ICL exactly?
It will stab in its tummy...yes, IPL will have cheaper tickets. It will hammer at its mind...yes, IPL will have hoards of sponsors. and many other ways. Have a glance at this old article...Don't we feel that IPL is escaping competition and treating cricket and cricket players as brothels. ICL vs IPL, leagues apart Written by Sharad Chikara Tuesday, 18 September 2007 Ever since the launch of IPL last week by BCCI one wonders if the latter was just a knee jerk reaction to ICL or was conceived for the benefit of the game. Indian Cricket League's (ICL) Image goal is create enthusiasm amongst the budding cricketers, carry that enthusiasm and momentum in the Sachins’ of tomorrow and give the domestic cricketers a chance to showcase their talent. On the other hand IPL's launch last seemed to be a "me too" by bureaucrats who have dominated the game more than the game itself. Apparently the BCCI league had been conceptualized about 10 years ago but had recently been finalized. I think I can assume with reasonable comfort that ICL's announcement early part of this year expedited IPL by good couple of years. BCCI top honcho believed just a couple of months ago that a Twenty20 league format (referring to ICL) would serve no good to the game of cricket. And it is rather ironic that a league was launched by the same governing body just a few months later in the same format. Ever since the launch of the Indian Cricket League (ICL) BCCI mocked at the league commenting from time to time that who would watch a bunch of retired cricketers. On IPL launch in Delhi last week, all I saw was great cricketers who were either retired or on the verge of retiring from the game. ICC refuses to recognize Indian Cricket League, we all know why. It's interest is to promote its own agenda in the world rather than promoting the game it represents. ICC would never disappoint the richest cricketing board in the world; rather going forward when BCCI current head Mr. Pawar becomes its chief will turn into Indian Cricket Council. It is rather appalling that an incompetent man will represent the council. A man who is on a mission, a mission to progress his personal agenda and solidify BCCI’s monopoly over the game in India. I see Indian Cricket League emerging as a successful business organization, not ridiculed with bureaucracy and corruption like its counterpart, operating as a autonomous organization, investing in building the cricketing infrastructure and take advantage of its media arm to reach out to all cricket loving fans in India and abroad. --Indian Cricket League, Staff Writer

Can ICL survive IPL's assault? New Delhi: Now that the IPL has kicked into high gear, what happens to the rebel Indian Cricket League?

icl-larainzymcmillan313.jpg

The ICL plans to organise its next big tournament in March but can they survive the assault from the brutal monetary advantage that the IPL enjoys? The signs aren't too good. The Chennai Superstars celebrated victory in the inaugural edition of the Indian Cricket League. The Essel Group's rebel league has even bigger plans this season. But can they succeed? While the ICL attracted a reasonable amount of interest from advertisers, with the launch of the IPL that scenario may just change. After all, advertising budgets aren't likely to go through the roof and there is only so much money to spend. Even the players who have signed up for the ICL face an uncertain future. Banned from playing in their own domestic tournaments, some like the Pakistan players who played in the league have decided to take their case to court. But PCB Chief Nasim Ashraf has warned the things will only get tougher for the ICL from now on. "They must find a solution with the ICC if they want their league to work and survive. Even the Indian Premier League was only launched properly after the BCCI first discussed and worked out things with the ICC and member boards. Anyone who wants to do something for the betterment of cricket must do it through the ICC," Ashraf has said. But the ICC seems to be in no mood to soften its stand on the ICL. "Yes, the member countries have affirmed their opposition to the Indian Cricket League, an unofficial cricket league. They have resolved that they will not release any of their players to play in the Indian Cricket League," ICC's Chief Executive Malcolm Speed says. But the face of the ICL, one of India's greatest ever cricketers believes they will survive despite the hurdles. In an interview with CNN-IBN recently, Kapil Dev shrugged off his detractors in the BCCI. "I wish they authenticate us. I'm proud and that's what we are looking for. I want to wish them great success as well," Kapil told CNN-IBN. The ICL's recent 50-over competition involving their Indian players barely registered on the cricketing mindspace. Clearly, in the face of this brutal assault from the BCCI, the ICL faces a bumpy road ahead. Source: http://www.cricketnext.com/news/can-icl-survive-ipls-assault/29809-13.html

ICL is not run by a naive bunch and will not cave in easily! On this board, ICL was warmly received. I thought that the stuff ICL came up with during their first edition was awesome, considering that BCCI tried every trick in the book to make ICL a failure. The main issue with ICL at the moment is to find grounds willing to let them develop it for their use. Panchkula was pretty good and the crowd turnout was decent. But I do hope they find grounds in cricket-rabid cities such as Calcutta, Mumbai, Chennai etc, where one can expect crowds to come in large numbers day-after-day. (The last I heard, they had Chennai as one of their venues) The signing up of Shane Bond and the Pakistani bunch has made the ICC/cricketing world really take notice. Recent comments from Warne, Steve Waugh and the PCB big-wigs will compel the ICC to integrate ICL into the scheme of things. The outcome of the court case by the Pakistani players against PCB will also be crucial. A few more high profile sign-ups and cricketing boards around the world will start to re-think their anti-ICL/pro-BCCI stance.

ICL out to give IPL a run for its money

mark my words ICL will not be existent soon.
Watch out: http://www.cricketnext.com/news/icl-out-to-give-ipl-a-run-for-its-money/30026-13.html New Delhi: In a bid to give the rival Indian Premier League a run for its money, the Indian Cricket League on Friday announced its 20s Grand Championship, to be held at three venues from March 9 to April 7.