Rasikh Salam: 17-year-old Jammu and Kashmir pace sensation gets IPL trial call-up

rkt.india

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.sportskeeda.com/amp/cricket/17-year-old-jammu-and-kashmir-pacer-gets-ipl-trial-call-up

Three-time champions of IPL, Mumbai Indians on Friday called Rasikh Salam- 17-year-old pace prodigy from Jammu and Kashmir- for trials ahead of the IPL 2019 following his impressive outing in the Vijay Hazare Trophy. The trial session will take place in Mumbai tomorrow.

Rasikh, who recently made his debut in the competitive cricket against Rajasthan in the Vijay Hazare Trophy, had played no age-group level cricket before making his entry to the senior side, largely due to Irfan Pathan's insertion as mentor-cum-player to the side.

Coming from a small village of South Kashmir's Kulgam, Rasik bowls at an alarming pace and swings the ball both ways. He surprised one and all with his heroic bowling spell against mighty Tamil Nadu batting line-up, taking two big scalps by giving away 45 runs in his quota of 8 overs.

Luckily, an associate member of Mumbai Indians was watching the match and was impressed with Rasikh's bowling. Jammu and Kashmir went on to win the match by four wickets.

"He (the associate member of Mumbai Indians) was amazed to see Rasik's pace and swing at such a small age. Later, he invited Rasikh for the trial camp of Mumbai Indians that is scheduled to take place at Mumbai tomorrow," an official of JKCA told Sportskeeda.

Rasikh came into the limelight after he was nominated by Irfan Pathan in a talent-hunt camp held at Shei-I-Kashmir Stadium, Srinagar. He was highly praised by both Pathan and J&K skipper Parvez Rasool.

Parvez Rasool is the only Jammu and Kashmir cricket to have played in IPL while another all-rounder Manzoor Dar was picked by Kings XI Punjab during last year's IPL auction but couldn't make his debut.

Edited by rkt.india

Unknown to overnight star: Meet J&K's latest 17-year-old pace sensation- Rasikh Salam

The morning of Wednesday brought a new sparkle to Ashmuji - a small village in South Kashmir's Kulgam, as a 17-year-old boy from the place made his debut for Jammu and Kashmir Senior Cricket Team, to become the first boy from the whole district to achieve this feat.

Rasikh Salam - youngest son of Ab Salam Dar, a teacher by profession- started playing cricket at an early age just like any other kid does, unaware that this bat and ball could one day become his dream story.

A right-arm fast bowler, way ahead of his age-group, Rasikh had tried his hand in J&K U-19 team last year but was ignored by the selectors. Disappointed by the rejection, he had thought that he might end up not playing at any level, yet the love for the game kept motivating him to work harder.

A year after, destiny made him the overnight cricket star of the state. Rasikh,who had played no state-level cricket before, made a direct entry to the J&K senior team in Vijay Hazare Trophy- a premier domestic tournament of the country.

He was completely unknown just a few months ago, yet as soon as the Indian star cricketer, Irfan Pathan- the current mentor-cum player of J&K team- started his stint with J&K cricket in August, Rasikh's life took a turnaround.

After performing extremely well in a district-level tournament, Rasikh was nominated to attend a talent hunt camp, which was to be headed by Irfan Pathan,

"Before attending the camp, I had seen Irfan Pathan on the television screen. I was very excited to see and meet him," Rasikh recalls.

As the proceedings of the camp started at SK Stadium, Srinagar, something magical happened which even Rasikh hadn't thought of "When I was given the ball, I told myself that this is the day to prove myself. I just bowled three balls and Irfan called me, he said, "Hey, how can somebody of such a young age bowl this quick, what's your name?" As I replied, he took me with him to Parvez bhaiya (Parvez Rasool) and asked me to meet him after the conclusion of the camp" says Rasikh in the jubilation.

Thereafter, he was seen working with Irfan Pathan and J&K coach Milaph Mwande in the nets and taking his useful tips,

"Irfan Bhai, Parvez Bhaiyya, and Milaph sir helped me a lot. I used to practice with them in the nets and that made me an entirely different bowler," Rasikh claims.

"During the shorter period of my reign here, I have been able to recognize a player who surely will make it big. It is surprising that he hasn't played any state-level cricket yet," Irfan Pathan had said about Rasikh in an interview.

Rasikh was named in the J&K squad for the 50-over tournament- Vijay Hazare Trophy and he finally made his debut in the seventh match against Rajasthan on Tuesday, which J&K won by three wickets. He took his debut scalp by removing MK Lomror in his sixth over and finished with the match figures of 10-0-54-1.

"He (Rasikh) bowls the international standard slower-ball. He impressed one and all with his flamboyant bowling and fielding," state's lone international cricketer and J&K Parvez Rasool said.

"He is a very talented cricketer, which could be well sorted as he is playing for the senior team at the age of 17. We see a future star in him," Parvez further said about Rasikh.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/unknown-to-overnight-star-meet-j-k-s-latest-17-year-old-pace-sensation-rasikh-salam

51 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

There was an article on CI about pace bowling prospects of JK 

It read,India should use the Pace bowling reserves  of JK

The JK Ranji captain was also echoing the same thing 

that was a bit too over exaggerated.  J&K pace reserves are not that great, TBH.  Pathan had a talent hunt and he found just one guy Rasikh Salam from that which it is not that great. There is one guys who has gotten a raw deal is Mehjoor Ali Sofi. he is fast and has not really been given chances by J&K selectors.  they even overlooked Salam but if not for Pathan he would have been struggling to play at any level.  Too much politics there.

1 hour ago, Vk1 said:

Very few communities in India are naturally built for physical sports, we should specially focus our radars on them.. muslims , Punjabi/Haryani Dangal communities etc to unearth potential fast bowlers .. 

Muslims :hysterical:. That's not a race or are genetically selected by Allah.

Even a thin as straw man can be muslim.

And man we are just moving away from this **** racial stereotypes of being weak race for sports and you are still pushing that ideology.

Our fastest bowler doesn't fit in your category (Varun Aaron)

Neither does Nagarkoti or Mavi and even Umesh.

1 hour ago, Vk1 said:

Very few communities in India are naturally built for physical sports, we should specially focus our radars on them.. muslims , Punjabi/Haryani Dangal communities etc to unearth potential fast bowlers .. 

especially. 

specially is when something is made for a purpose , like SG balls specially made per Ashwins request etc.

Show one fast bowler ( above 145) from punjab pls, its something that perplexes me.