Navjot Sidhu demeans South India. Says travelling to Pakistan is a better experience than travelling to South India

DHONI_FANN

23 hours ago, DHONI_FANN said:

Bhai Congress Party ka admi hai their love for Pakistan is well known.

22 hours ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

Lol this fool's ancestors or relatives probably were slaughtered like lambs while bringing their kin away from the clutches of "relatable Pakistani mobs" during the partition.

Its probably the other way around as he is from Patiala where large number of Muslims were killed

Edited by Singh bling

5 hours ago, rageaddict said:

He's right about Tamil Nadu. Awful place to visit,  there's hardly a link language with other Indians like Hindi. Very culturally isolated place from the mainstream Indian culture.  

Most of the people don't even know what Sholay is :phehe::phehe:

The problem with Tamil  is that, Tamilans dont consider themselves as Indians that much. They're regionalistic in nature. It's always "first Tamilans then Indians for them". They consider themselves as culturally different and having superior culture to the rest.  They don't like the fact that hindi is imposed on them when they want Tamil to be give importance. They say. Tamil is older, more superior and has a long cultural and linguistic history when compared to hindi. Only a small percantage of the state knows Hindi and watch hindi movies, though nowadays ull find many speaking broken hindi. In fact, during jallikattu protests many of them were frustrated when centre wasn't getting involved so they turned the flags upside down, and they're even talks among some of the public to secede because centre isn't giving importance to their culture. Of course this is not for all Tamilans just a significant majority. I say this having lived and studied there for years, even now I'm still in TN. 

Edited by I6MTW

18 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

The problem with Tamil  is that, Tamilans dont consider themselves as Indians that much. They're regionalistic in nature. It's always "first Tamilans then Indians for them". They consider themselves as culturally different and having superior culture to the rest.  They don't like the fact that hindi is imposed on them when they want Tamil to be give importance. They say. Tamil is older, more superior and has a long cultural and linguistic history when compared to hindi. Only a small percantage of the state knows Hindi and watch hindi movies, though nowadays ull find many speaking broken hindi. In fact, during jallikattu protests many of them were frustrated when centre wasn't getting involved so they turned the flags upside down, and they're even talks among some of the public to secede because centre isn't giving importance to their culture. Of course this is not for all Tamilans just a significant majority. I say this having lived and studied there for years, even now I'm still in TN. 

Dont mix politics with nationalism. In North, there is countless such example where some politician rally the masses under umbreall of regional pride.

I am yet to meet a single Tamilian who is anti India. Infact, most around me have learned little Hindi, and talk to me in Hindi occasionally. I still dont know a word of tamil apart from few swaer words.

why are they more regional then any other region?

Edited by mishra

16 minutes ago, mishra said:

Dont mix politics with nationalism. In North, there is countless such example where some politician rally the masses under umbreall of regional pride.

I am yet to meet a single Tamilian who is anti India. Infact, most around me have learned little Hindi, and talk to me in Hindi occasionally. I still dont know a word of tamil apart from few swaer words.

why are they more regional then any other region?

Well, I have met many, during my school and college days. The local crowd. They're mostly due to lack of awareness and like you said, they do confuse politics with nationalism, they fall for the gimmicks which were presented by leaders like periyar, karunanidhi etc. Like I said, not all Tamils are so, I have met people who are patriotic. It's just that a lot of Tamils take Tamil pride to another level.

12 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Well, I have met many, during my school and college days. The local crowd. They're mostly due to lack of awareness and like you said, they do confuse politics with nationalism, they fall for the gimmicks which were presented by leaders like periyar, karunanidhi etc. Like I said, not all Tamils are so, I have met people who are patriotic. It's just that a lot of Tamils take Tamil pride to another level.

I agree to it. You can see how Tamils take ocer the forum during IPL days. The torh bearer is our very own mod who became mod just so that he can undauntedly rant about greatness of Dhoni and CSK @velu

Edited by mishra

I thought Sidhu was a chewyt, no? So what’s the fuss? It is an a-hole being an a-hole. 

However, it is true that of all the Indians I have met, Gultis and Punjabis have been the most obnoxious. This is in no way a generalization and I have close friends from those two races who are great people, but they ones I found obnoxious were for the following reasons - those Punjabis think their culture should be universally accepted, everyone should speak Hindi and like North Indian cuisine, they are loudmouth and arrogant, etc. The Gultis were very obnoxious because of their backward social views, proudly touting th dowry system, extremely clanish, etc. Again, this is not a generalization, but only my observation of the Gultis and Punjabis I have come across and that too maybe about 50-60% of them. Others may have had a different experience. For other races, I have interacted with, the % is less. Aussholes exist in all forms and in all races.

Again, please do not think I hate Gultis and Punjabis ... I don’t. It is not meant to be a generalization although the post may appear that way.

Edited by dandaroy

21 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

Lol Punjab and Haryana were divided on basis of language.Why Punjabis want everyone to speak Hindi?

Two Punjabi fellow grad students I knew used know here in the US used to constantly abuse a South Indian friend of mine for not speaking or knowing Hindi because "it is the national language." They always conversed in Hindi or Punjabi regardless of who were around them. Both of them were from Delhi. Maybe it is the Delhi in them that was obnoxious. :phehe: 

Like I said, I never claimed that all Punjabis were obnoxious. Maybe my experience was skewed, but I observed that they are more extroverted than people from other races, generally speaking. Again being extroverted is not necessarily bad, unless it borders on the extreme.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:39 PM, Muloghonto said:

Just highlighting the fact that Punjabi culture ( both Indian and Pakistani) is the most racist culture in the subcontinent, with only direct competition from the Pashtuns. 

i think both have folks that are fixated towards skin color its pretty unfortunate to see and hear the said cases among them.

11 hours ago, mishra said:

greatness of Dhoni

lolz..

:laugh: if its Tamil nationalism how can they use Dhoni who is definition of rustic north indian for being a poster boy of it..haha

Tamils are not clannish but are uber linguistic jingoists, but fiercely patriotic to Indian union.  

This statement from Siddhu should not become some national debate, he is just an individual, and to a punjabi - tamil will feel alien not vice-versa as most tamils know hindi and would understand punjabi. 

I thought Sidhu was a chewyt, no? So what’s the fuss? It is an a-hole being an a-hole. 

However, it is true that of all the Indians I have met, Gultis and Punjabis have been the most obnoxious. This is in no way a generalization and I have close friends from those two races who are great people, but they ones I found obnoxious were for the following reasons - those Punjabis think their culture should be universally accepted, everyone should speak Hindi and like North Indian cuisine, they are loudmouth and arrogant, etc. The Gultis were very obnoxious because of their backward social views, proudly touting th dowry system, extremely clanish, etc. Again, this is not a generalization, but only my observation of the Gultis and Punjabis I have come across and that too maybe about 50-60% of them. Others may have had a different experience. For other races, I have interacted with, the % is less. Aussholes exist in all forms and in all races.

Again, please do not think I hate Gultis and Punjabis ... I don’t. It is not meant to be a generalization although the post may appear that way.
I understand your point on Gultis there are such obnoxious elements but I would consider them to be a minority. I don't really have many discussing those topics.
Maybe they see you as outsider and feel more comfortable boasting about their clan without any opposition.
I see the clan thing more amongst Andhra Gultis than Telangana Gultis but Reddys are the same everywhere.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, nikred said:

I understand your point on Gultis there are such obnoxious elements but I would consider them to be a minority. I don't really have many discussing those topics.
Maybe they see you as outsider and feel more comfortable boasting about their clan without any opposition.
I see the clan thing more amongst Andhra Gultis than Telangana Gultis but Reddys are the same everywhere. emoji849.png

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Again, I felt uncomfortable making that post as I am not at all clanish. I am sure with more mixing of cultures now in India views are more cosmopolitan within middle class and up.

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

I don't think this is a casual, off the cuff remark by Sidhu. There has been concentrated effort by the usual suspects in politics as well as the media to fuel the North-South divide. We saw it at it's peak during the Kerala floods.

even i think so .. these things seems to be some pre-planned strategy

opposition is little bit insecure about bjp taking over nationalism and hindu religion ..

in karntaka elections they tried to divide hindus by tagginglingayats are not hindus  ..

i am little bit active in my caste based fb group where IT wing of DMK guys post regularly that "we are not hindus"  :rotfl: 

1 hour ago, dandaroy said:

Again, I felt uncomfortable making that post as I am not at all clanish. I am sure with more mixing of cultures now in India views are more cosmopolitan within middle class and up.

You'd be surprised that these views are just as prevalent among the lower classes ( economically and socially) too. Most of the times, their work lives are inter twined with those of people from other back grounds. And the women have to work in urban settings to pay for the bills. For eg, In the olderl chawl areas of Mumbai you'd find a migrant from Tamil Nadu speaking Hindi, Bambaiya Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati and his mother tongue inter-changeably. In such places caste/ regional boundaries don't mean much. If anything its the lower middle class and the middle class which is more conservative/puritanical.